AR barrel selection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Working on a build and wanted some quality opinion from you fine folks.

Building an AR for 3 gun style shooting and the occasional 200, maybe 300 yard shot on a 6 inch plate.
    I know I want 16", 1/9 twist, something on the lighter side and chrome lined.

My biggest question is which manufacturer I want it from. I'm liking the Yankee Hill barrel but I've seen mixed reactions. Looking for general quality (accuracy and life).

Let me know what you know.

Thanks!

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I know you should be looking for a 1-8 twist, it's the best all around twist
    I would look at a JP, known for accuracy and long life

alfalfa

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I brought my JP out to the range the other day to sight in on my lead sled. It put four shots within 1/3" at 100 yards. Amazing what the gun can do with me taken out of the equation.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I brought my JP out to the range the other day to sight in on my lead sled. It put four shots within 1/3" at 100 yards. Amazing what the gun can do with me taken out of the equation.

And it might not even like that ammo! Lol both of mine are tack drivers!!!

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Working on a build and wanted some quality opinion from you fine folks.

Building an AR for 3 gun style shooting and the occasional 200, maybe 300 yard shot on a 6 inch plate.
    I know I want 16", 1/9 twist, something on the lighter side and chrome lined.

My biggest question is which manufacturer I want it from. I'm liking the Yankee Hill barrel but I've seen mixed reactions. Looking for general quality (accuracy and life).

Let me know what you know.

Thanks!

Have you read this sticky?

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...y-pangris...-AR-15-barrels-and-ammo-selection

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    I did read it. I pretty much had that down and I know what specs I need. I do reload some and use lighter rounds. I know the heavier side will be better for long range but I'm more focused on short and quick shots. I love all the companies that y'all have listed but my walllet may disappear with it. I should ave specified 250 and under

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You're only worried about up close?, then I'd pick the cheapest 1/9 twist and be happy, because they all shoot pretty good! It's when you Might have to shoot to 600, then you you'll be better served with a 1/8 twist, why limit yourself?

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Good point. I'm just trying to find that happy medium or best bang for the buck (no pun intended). I don't want it too cheap and 300 is just the longest possible shot I would do. Anything longer, I use my heavy R700. One day I will build an upper for that distance though. Ive pretty much decided on a medium weight Yankee Hill barrel but I just don't know anyone who has one. Daniel Defense also has a couple at 250.

Top Bottom