ar bolt stuck

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Short version since I'm on my phone is while at the range with my ar while firing a set the trigger clicked, but the round didn't go off, tried to charge the bolt and no luck, its stuck. Tried to break it down, but it's stuck about 1 inch back into the stock portion of the lower so I was unable to take it down completely. I really don't like having a rifle that I can't clear and have no idea why. Anyone know of a way to get the bolt moving? I also took off the stock and buffer tube, still couldn't get the bolt back.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Take some pics and post them... Just curious what type of ammo where you using brass or steel cased? My guess is a casing is wedged in there and I have heard of 2 ways to remove it one involves pulling back on the charging handle and slamming the buttstock down ofcourse with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and I don't suggest doing it with a live round chambered or better yet don't even do it just one solution I have heard of.... The other involves putting a cleaning rod down the barrel into the casing and hitting it with moderate force with a hammer. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Tap the charging handle with a rubber hammer. The case is jammed in the chamber but the extractor is still over the rim which is good. Make sure you do this in a safe area and keep the muzzle pointed away from you. If the bolt is back then the firing pin should not beable to contact the primer because it should have rotated. But as always safety first.

I had the same issue with some brass where the shoulder didnt get set back enough and had the same problem. I pulled back as hard as I could on the charging handle while slamming the stock on the ground but it didnt go. My shooting partner came around the corner and freaked like it was his gun LOL. He went get a rubber hammer and it made short work of the job.

Another option would be to put a cleaning rod down the barrel and hit on it pushing the bullet in the case and trying to drive it out that way but I didnt have the balls to do that with a loaded round. I just opted for a possible bent charging handle. But all was well in the end.

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Put the stock and buffer tube back on and try to pull the charging handle back and at the same time bounce it off your knee or something padded but sturdy. I have done this to remove live rounds from a few rifles. What kind of ammo were you using at the time? Brass or steel case, just want to know.

If that doesn't work look up Mike Moore and let him get it a part.

Beauxdog

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Dont do any of this, especially with a live round in the chamber. First, pointing the gun in a safe direction, tap the two dissassembly pins out and seperate the upper from the lower. With both pins out you should be able to seperate the two and work from there. If you can not do that, take the gun to a smith.

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Dont do any of this, especially with a live round in the chamber. First, pointing the gun in a safe direction, tap the two dissassembly pins out and seperate the upper from the lower. With both pins out you should be able to seperate the two and work from there. If you can not do that, take the gun to a smith.

That was the first thing I tried, but because the bolt was stuck back into the lower there was no such luck.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. After not being able to pull the charging handle back no matter how hard I tried, I went with the slamming buttstock down while pulling charging handle, and it worked like there was no problem at all. One reason I liked that idea is that it could be used in the field quickly with no problem. I'll be posting the pic of the ammo soon, I didn't take one showing how it was stuck. If you looked in the ejection port you would see the bolt forward from the assembly and the bolt face almost flush with front of the ejection port opening. The ammo is brass cased, but has been sitting in storage for about two years along with the AR, I figured I'd have issues with it.

The picture of the round shows that something caught the casing and it looks like it tried to peel the casing off the round. However when I got the bolt back and broke the AR down the buffer spring retention pin (right term?) had dislodged and was sitting up in the trigger assembly, I'm wondering if that happened while firing and is what caused my bolt carrier to lock up.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    THe buffer pin and spring was what was hanging up your bolt. EIther the stock tube was installed incorectly pin was too worn/small or the stock tube is too short and allowed the pin to go up. A friend recently brought me his gun that did the same thing and did lock up the gun, but pulling both pins and pulling the upper forward allowed me to disassemble the gun, even though the bolt carrier was stuck deeply in the tube. The pring in his gun was actually would around the hammer and made seperating the two a little difficult. Sounds like what happened to you.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    The buffer retention pin and spring flew out when you took off the stock and the buffer tube off the gun. As stated before and it worked was pull back on the charging handle and hit the gun on something solid like a table top or the ground. If that doesnt work move to the rubber hammer. I have never had to go past that.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    he had removed the stock and buffer tube... the buffer detent could have come loose in all that.

does your weapon have feed ramps?

Last edited:

GatorCATM

Mors De Contactus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DeRidder
    The buffer retention pin and spring flew out when you took off the stock and the buffer tube off the gun. As stated before and it worked was pull back on the charging handle and hit the gun on something solid like a table top or the ground. If that doesnt work move to the rubber hammer. I have never had to go past that.

+1

I have seen it happen with a colt M4, once you remove the buffer tube the detent will spring up into the bolt or receiver.

Top Bottom