AR build help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    Im just getting started building my first AR. I picked up a lower with a LPK in it. ordered some magazines last night, looks like ill be picking up a stock assembly from a friend. fortunatly the finances for the build are coming quicker than expected, unfortunatly from what I understand finding an upper, or upper half is damn near impossible right now, so that will slow me down im sure.

what I need help with is......Im totally ignorant to how to put all the parts together. im sure it will be half ass self explanitory, but would appreciate any advice/tips I can get.

Also, what (if any) special tools will I need, and where can I come across them (just to borrow, or to buy cheap)

thanks

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Hot Shot, if you are not in a hurry to get your lower together, I can possibly help you next week sometime. You dont really need any special tools other than a wrench for tightening the Castle nut for adjustable stocks. Roll pin punches are nice, but not necessary. The one thing that I recommend is buying a 1/4" clevis pin for aiding in installation of the front pivot pin detent and spring.
    AdjClevisPins.jpg

the tools found in any basic "man-cave" should suffice for assembling a stripped lower. A few punches, a couple pairs of vise grips, some electrical tape, a screwdriver or allen wrench (depending on the type of your pistol grip screw), and thats about it.

While assembling a lower is pretty easy, once you see it done, there are a few things that can go wrong, from buggering up the finish on your precious new lower, to breaking off a trigger guard "ear", to having trigger pins walk out and bugger up your lower if the trigger group is not installed correctly.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Hot Shot, if you are not in a hurry to get your lower together, I can possibly help you next week sometime. You dont really need any special tools other than a wrench for tightening the Castle nut for adjustable stocks. Roll pin punches are nice, but not necessary. The one thing that I recommend is buying a 1/4" clevis pin for aiding in installation of the front pivot pin detent and spring.
    AdjClevisPins.jpg

the tools found in any basic "man-cave" should suffice for assembling a stripped lower. A few punches, a couple pairs of vise grips, some electrical tape, a screwdriver or allen wrench (depending on the type of your pistol grip screw), and thats about it.

While assembling a lower is pretty easy, once you see it done, there are a few things that can go wrong, from buggering up the finish on your precious new lower, to breaking off a trigger guard "ear", to having trigger pins walk out and bugger up your lower if the trigger group is not installed correctly.

The LPK is already installed. Double check the trigger group. I cocked and pulled the trigger no less than a hundred times after installed with no problems.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    The LPK is already installed. Double check the trigger group. I cocked and pulled the trigger no less than a hundred times after installed with no problems.

gotcha. I didnt take notice of that earlier, as I had just woken up. In that case, all you would "need" is a stock wrench for the castle nut if using a carbine stock. I've got one in P'ville if the OP needs to borrow it for a minute or 2.

Top Bottom