ar build newbie questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shroom14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    prairieville ,la
    looking at building a a 3-4 of AR s two will be just slapping uppers on the lowers. i have a few questions i see people say Palmetto state armory for cheap/ decent builds While looking at there site what is the difference between PSA premium and PTAC premium. What are a few other good uppers and who has the best prices. This is one of the psa uppers i was thinking about. I want free float rail but not quad rail something similar to yhm free float customize able forearm

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...8-ss15g2-premium-with-leupold-mark-scope.html

Also what to look for in a BCG

thttp://www.joeboboutfitters.com/WMD_Guns_Nickel_Boron_X_Bolt_Carrier_Group_NIBXB_p/wmd-nibxbcg.htm this was my first thought

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The PTAC stuff is not made by PSA, they're just a reseller and I've heard nothing but bad stuff about it. I'd stay away. PSA's "premium" uppers are a lot of bang for the buck as the barrels are hammer forged and made by FN.

As for the rest of the questions, what is your intended use? Just range toys or are you looking for something more dependable?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I was wanting to build my first rifle. I ended up building a complete lower(palmetto state) that is now setting in the safe collecting dust. After looking at bcm and Daniel defense for uppers and how much I would be spending for just a upper I decided I will be saving for a Colt instead.

Just food for thought. Building the lower was fun and went together very well but for the money you can't beat the price for a Colt.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Range toy, but able to use on patrol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously it's budget dependent, but I wouldn't skimp on a potential patrol rifle. I'd recommend a Colt 6920 (under $1000 at Wally World) at a minimum, and DD/BCM if you want something fancier.

And if budget is a concern, why not grab two quality ARs instead of 3 or 4 cheap ones?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Range toy, but able to use on patrol

If you're getting something for work, it might be a good idea to check what brands, options, and attachments are allowed. Brand X may be the absolute greatest AR in the world, but if your agency says you can only have Brand A, B, or C, you just wasted your time and money.

It's simple for us, we carry the rifle they give us. No personally owned rifles allowed.

JR1572

shroom14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    prairieville ,la
    No restrictions on what I can carry. Not necessarily looking for cheap but more of a glock than a kimber 1911 if that makes sense. First one will be a see what really works so will be changed around a bit. Then possibly a sbr final will hopefully be more of a range/target. Not sure why but I like the looks of some of jp uppers I've seen

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    No restrictions on what I can carry. Not necessarily looking for cheap but more of a glock than a kimber 1911 if that makes sense. First one will be a see what really works so will be changed around a bit. Then possibly a sbr final will hopefully be more of a range/target. Not sure why but I like the looks of some of jp uppers I've seen

The Colt 6920 at Walmart is a steal. If I needed to go buy an AR (currently I don't own a semi-auto AR) I would just go to Walmart and get that...

JR1572

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    We are issued bushmaster carbines at work, and I haven't had any problems or malfunctions. I would def check out that colt at Walmart. Might want to call another major dept and see what they allow their officers to carry.

•MOTOR51•

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    The walmart in Abbeville has 6 or 7 in the rack. 2 for sure were Colts. Didn't get to eye ball the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom