Ar build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    Anybody got advice on a barrel install for an ar? I've got everything else finished. Just not sure how to tighten it up. Is this something that needs to be handled by a gunsmith? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    Get an armorers tool, a half in drive torque wrench, and tighten to manufacturers specs. You can do it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svilardo_85

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    MANDEVILLE
    make sure your gas tube is made for what size barrel you use example: carbine length, mid length, and rifle length. make sure that the gas block is made for the type of barrel you use .936 for heavy and .750 for regular. you need a vice to hold upper and a vice block to protect upper so you wont damage it while you install barrel, 1/2 inch drive torque wrench and armorers tool. depending on weather you use a free float or regular hand guard will depend on the armorers tool you use most can install both. if you use a regular hand guard you will need a end cap it goes against the gas block and don't forget the barrel nut and delta ring too there are plenty youtube vids to help you out. you torque barrel 30 pounds to 80 pounds you have much play because you got to line up the notch in the barrel nut/delta ring assembly to where you got clearance for the gas tube to go into upper.then pin tube into block and install over gas port on barrel. as for free floats i have not installed one yet but works the same way in its own way. good luck.

Last edited:

nickcam79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Madisonville,la
    I changed to a free float rail with a lo pro gas block on my mp15.I had the the correct size punches already and purchases a quality armorers tool.I watched a couple of YouTube videos and did it with no problems. I've prob put 500 or so rounds through the rifle with no problems. I did it without a vice and the proper blocks. To excited to wait ,luckily I didn't have any problems,scratches or breakage .I am in the process of getting the proper block and such.watch a couple vids.and u should do fine.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Geissele Reaction Rod
    Aeroshell 33MS
    Tighten/Loosen barrel nut 3X
    Torque to 50-60 ft-LB if non-indexing. 35-80#, if indexing, I believe is the spec.

Top Bottom