Ar gas block replacement question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Is it possible to take the front sight off of an ar barrel and replace with a gas block without copletely screwing up the barrel getting it off and back on.:confused:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    just check to see if it's a taper pin or not and make sure you're hitting that pin from the right direction. a block makes all the difference in the world when hammering those pins out. some pins can be frustrating and you'll have to use force. i've tapped mine out and it was a pain.

rmorrison

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    morgan city, la
    just check to see if it's a taper pin or not and make sure you're hitting that pin from the right direction. a block makes all the difference in the world when hammering those pins out. some pins can be frustrating and you'll have to use force. i've tapped mine out and it was a pain.

+1
    i masked off the barrel with tape on both sides of the site just in case something slipped. i also used some penetrating oil on the pins prior to the hammer & punch.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The front sight blocks like brownell's sells are great, but not really worth the $$ if you're only doing it once or twice. The key is SOLID contact. Put the FSB on a block of wood on the floor of the garage or some other concrete. You want 100% of the force going into the pins. Use a large nail set to start them, the concave head really helps. Whack it like you mean it with a large hammer maul.

I messed up my front sight the first time I did it because I was being too gentle. You're more likely to do damage nervously hitting it 50 times accomplishing nothing than if you just whack the **** out of it the first time.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    thanks for the info I got a great deal on daniel defense upper otherwise I would have just bought a completely falt top upper. I will post a build thread later on tonight.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I don't wanna meddle in your build but here is my unsolicited 2 cents: If you want rails where your GB is shave it and get a longer Railed forearm that covers the gas block. I have seen more than a few people damage there gas blocks by accesorizing them.

Puddle Pirate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    I don't wanna meddle in your build but here is my unsolicited 2 cents: If you want rails where your GB is shave it and get a longer Railed forearm that covers the gas block. I have seen more than a few people damage there gas blocks by accesorizing them.

+1

paint the "shaved" area with black high temp grill paint... or just have the hole thing cerakoted when your done.

Top Bottom