ar handguard suggestions needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Looking to replace a handguard on an older Bushmaster rifle. Currently has 7" free float quad rail. Looking for something minimum 7" longer is ok but it is a 16" barreled upper. Do not want it to be excessively heavy but do want it to have options for mounting a forward grip or sling stud etc. I'm ok with removable pic rail sections if it gives some flexibility for mounting those items. I also want something that is easy on the hands. and finally i don't want to spend a small fortune to get it... Seems like a fairly tall order so lets hear some suggestions please.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Primary Arms next door in Houston TX has their own line of AR parts under the brand name of Expo Arms. They have several diff lengths of FF handguards/rails, from pistol to rifle lengths. Solid products at a very fair price, I have built uppers with 2 of their handguards so far. PA is solid too, fast shipping, never had an issue with them in many orders. They also sell many other brand handguards too like Geissele, Aero, or BCM to name a few. Link to products below.

To add, the Expo Arms have a full length piccatinny rail up top, and are M lok, so you can attach pretty much anything. M lok is smooth to the hand, not like the older quad piccatinny rails. M lok is the way to go today imo.

Last edited:

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Primary Arms next door in Houston TX has their own line of AR parts under the brand name of Expo Arms. They have several diff lengths of FF handguards/rails, from pistol to rifle lengths. Solid products at a very fair price, I have built uppers with 2 of their handguards so far. PA is solid too, fast shipping, never had an issue with them in many orders. They also sell many other brand handguards too like Geissele, Aero, or BCM to name a few. Link to products below.

To add, the Expo Arms have a full length piccatinny rail up top, and are M lok, so you can attach pretty much anything. M lok is smooth to the hand, not like the older quad piccatinny rails. M lok is the way to go today imo.
    John, i think the expo arms suggestion nailed what im looking for. Really not interested in spending $250-300 on a handguard. Appreciate the reccomendation.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    John, i think the expo arms suggestion nailed what im looking for. Really not interested in spending $250-300 on a handguard. Appreciate the reccomendation.
    You are welcome. I just got another Expo handguard (9.5") in the mail today. I don't think you will be disappointed. You can spend twice the money but not really much better. I have owned/installed Geissele, Noveske, MI, and a few others over the years. Let us know how it all works out for you in the end.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I will add MI and Aero Precision offer handguards with a larger ID (like 1.7") if you want a fatter, or fit a silencer partially within the handguard. The Expo units are approx 1.3" ID, common ID to many brands of FF handguards offered today.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA

John, ended up going with the 15" combat rail. Completely changed the look and feel of this rifle.

Attachments

• 20220224_205520.jpg
      20220224_205520.jpg
      566 KB · Views: 108
    • 20220224_210947.jpg
      20220224_210947.jpg
      500.2 KB · Views: 113

hkennc

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    I didn't know Expo was PAs 'brand'. Good to know.
    I used to get the UTG Pro 'Made in America' products. Very secure when mounted and feel great but I've heard some negative things about them as a company. Can't recall what they were, exactly, but was very disappointed.
    Regardless, Primary Arms is my favorite online store for almost anything AR related.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    BcM or Dirty Bird... I installed a Dirty Bird handguard from AR15discounts.com last night on my pistol. Appears to be pretty solid. I think I read something about they are in cahoots with Aero Precision. I have a BCM on my carbine, and love it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220310_190755.jpg
      IMG_20220310_190755.jpg
      273.2 KB · Views: 79

TonyAngel

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I'll second dirty bird from ar15discounts.com. I've used plenty of them. I did just pick up a ballistic advantage logic handguard on sale for just over 100. Very nice and the atlas lockup is solid.

Freek589

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 15, 2019
    Denham springs
    I like aero’s atlas R-one or S-one line. You can go pic rail all the way on top or have a spot for BUI. Most everything mounts with mlok or you can add small sections of pic rails where desired.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nnslync
    Top Bottom