AR Handguard

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a rifle length MOE on mine. I'd say that cost drove that decision the most, but it fits my hands well, is pretty light, and I like it.

Pic for reference. One of these days, I'll take better pics with my wife's DSLR.

34ef446f.jpg

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    I use the MI SS freefloat tube, rifle length over low profile gas blocks. I shoot with the "gamer grip", so the rifle length tube lets me get my hand out there a good ways. There is no unnecessary rail taking up space and weight (or hurting my girly hands). They're also fairly cheap. I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the modular rails on the market.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Weight matters; I would not get a quad rail unless you have a need to attach something at every inch on the rail. You can add a small rail to most aftermarket hand-guards wherever you need to attach something. I have a Troy extreme (round on three sides with rail on top) on one of mine that I really like; it is light and easy on the hands.

Truitt45

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Tickfaw
    Alright. Good deal. I really would rather stay away from quad rails. I really do not want a lot of wasted space. What is the grouping difference on a free-float to a regular handguard?

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I like rifle length. Friends say my rifle is heavy but it seems pretty light to me. I like to be able to stretch down the gun. in fact toss a AFG on gun above and would do me just fine.

Last edited:

Truitt45

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Tickfaw
    I do like that Viking rail. I really didn't want to go down the path of a flip-up front BUIS but I guess it's gotta be done.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Some of those rails are short enough to allow you to keep the front post, IIRC.

I know Troy makes similar versions, and I'm sure other companies do as well. Look around and see what you can find-- shop weights, diameters, lengths... even colors, if it suits you! There's so many options in the AR world (including this style of handguard), you do yourself a disservice by not exhausting all of the options.

Truitt45

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Tickfaw
    Some of those rails are short enough to allow you to keep the front post, IIRC.

I know Troy makes similar versions, and I'm sure other companies do as well. Look around and see what you can find-- shop weights, diameters, lengths... even colors, if it suits you! There's so many options in the AR world (including this style of handguard), you do yourself a disservice by not exhausting all of the options.
    Thanks for that. I see what you mean.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Quad rails are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Forends like the Troy Alpha, Daniel Defense MFR, or Samson Evolution are the way to go. You can buy a tube that retains the FSB, or shave it and run the tube over it. If you go that route you don't have to use a folding front sight, several companies make rail-mounted fixed front sights. Daniel
    Defense tends to be the favorite.

Example (random internet pic not mine)
    rtSideBenched.jpg

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have a Magpul MOE on mine. Take it from me, I became obsessed with the "look" of the quadrail but the reality of it disappointed me. If I had the money I would definitely go with one of those above but price drove me to the Magpul. Now, if you do plan on adding 20 pounds of accessories then you have no choice but to go with a quadrail. I just keep going back to wanting a lighter setup so I had a Magpul, sold to buy a quad, then went back to a Magpul.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I also run a 20 inch barrel Gov Prof with A5 buffer because I like it.. I know I know a goose gun but it's what I like and yes it does shoot different. Feels silky smooth . What I'm getting at is try to get somewhere that you can feel up some different ones first before you part with money.

Truitt45

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Tickfaw
    I really like that set-up that speed found. I really do like the Troy alpha rail. Now I'm wondering what to do about BUIS. Because I like the fixed front with flip-up rear.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I have the Troy rear flipup (called the BattleSight) as well, they are very well made. I had a YHM rear on a previos rifle and was not impressed at all. I've also played around with the Magpul poly rear, and considering the cost and weight it will get the job done. If you buy a quality optic, the back up irons, and which you decide on become much less important IMO. Other than zeroing I don't think I have ever, or will ever flip up the rear sight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom