Ar hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Then you'd better hurry, cause modern firearms season for deer is over in another 2 weeks almost everywhere in Louisiana.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I took a nice doe w my 6.8 spc last week. My son will be using it to take his first one soon. The 6.8 passed the test w flying colors. It shot right through a 120lb doe's shoulder at 60 yards. she jumped and ran 10 yards before folding up!! That little round has some SERIOUS penatration

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    My farther-in-law has killed 3 over the past year with an Olympic Arms A2 in .223/5.56. 60 grain Nosler Partitions. Farthest one went 30 feet.
    I use a 6.5 Grendel.

tas745

Jan 12, 2012
    Central, Louisiana
    i took a nice doe w my 6.8 spc last week. My son will be using it to take his first one soon. The 6.8 passed the test w flying colors. It shot right through a 120lb doe's shoulder at 60 yards. She jumped and ran 10 yards before folding up!! That little round has some serious penatration
    whats the max yardage on the 6.8 the biggest gr ammo i could find was 120 is that what you are using

MikeR

Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    whats the max yardage on the 6.8 the biggest gr ammo i could find was 120 is that what you are using

For deer, I'd limit to about 300yrds, give or take a few...though others have used them successfully art the 400-450yrd range.

Unless you load your own, 120s are the top end. Until I get geared up to load for mine, I'm using Hornady 120gr SSTs.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I use Barrett 115gr hollow poirnts. They are the most consistent for my gun

I'm bringing my gf to shoot a Doe in the morning. She'll be using the AR..... I'll post pics

Gunnut80

Mar 28, 2010
    Livingston
    +1 on the 6.8spc or if your shots are less than 200 yards drop them where they stand with the .50 Beowulf.

Last edited:

BIGGREEN

Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    A good choice. Also the 450 Bushmaster which is designed to take down any North American game under 200 yards.
    I took a Bushy 450 in a trade a while back. Haven't had a chance to kill anything with it but it sure does damage to target backing. It is a monster.

Top Bottom