AR Iron Sight Noob Needs Schooling

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shane225

Praying for change in '12
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Walker, La.
    So today I finally take my new Bushmaster AR to the range to see how much damage I could do on some paper targets. Being an AR and iron sights virgin, I figured it couldnt be that hard. Well needless to say I was really humbled out there today. I now understand the need to train often and train correctly.

So confessing my lack off iron sight knowledge my question is what is the correct way to line up my target through the peep sight? Seems like a simple enough question but hey, you got to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance.:bowdown:

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    http://www.odcmp.org/0907/default.asp?page=USAMU_SIGHTPICTURE

Link will explain different sight pictures. Biggest thing to remember is your focus should be on the front sight post. The rear aperture and target will be some degree of fuzziness. That fuzziness will depend on how old your eyes are or your current eyesight.

I'm knocking on 40 and I am currently finding it harder to keep focused on the post. It seems a corrective lense in the rear sight may be in my near future.

In highpower, we also use carbide or sight black to make the front post extremely dark in the hopes of providing more contrast and allowing us to focus easier on the post and not lose it in the target. If you don't have either, set the rifle buttstock on the ground and try burning a plastic fork or spoon under the front post so that the thick black smoke covers it. Just don't breath in the fumes.

You can find some more good info at that site presented by the USAMU at

http://www.odcmp.com/usamu/shooting_tips.htm

Last edited:

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    Personally, I use the "lollipop" method. Put a small circle (6", but the smaller the better) at 50 yards and put that circle right on top of the front sight post. Holding the circle on top of the post adjust your POI until the rounds hit the center of the circle. Always use the small aperture and focus on that front sight. the target will be somewhat blurry and you shouldn't even see the rear sight. With this sight picture you should be in that circle out to 200 yards if you do your part. However you end up doing it, the mistakes I usually see are the stock extended out way to far and not focusing on the front sight. Just my .02 cents but it works for me.

-James.

shane225

Praying for change in '12
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Walker, La.
    Thanks for the advice and website. I'm pushing 40 myself too and I did notice the front post blur. Hopefully my next day out there I'll be able to get this thing on zero and start building my confidence. Its definately a fun rifle to shoot.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    If your front sight is blurry, you need shooting glasses usually with a + diopter (@+.50) to bring your focus closer to you.

If you want to learn to shoot an AR with iron sights, I think there are a group of us on here that can help. (That is if first round hits out to 600 yards would be of interest.) ;)

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    I just don't really like .223/5.56 but I do own and regularly shoot an AR. I am not volunteering to get hit at 400 yards with a 5.56 I just think a .308 is a much better round in all regards when you start talking distance and ballistics.

Truth be known I just have a affection for my .308 "battle rifles"; PTR91, M1A, FAL.

Hopefully one day my AR will shoot 6.5G.

-James.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I just don't really like .223/5.56 but I do own and regularly shoot an AR. I am not volunteering to get hit at 400 yards with a 5.56 I just think a .308 is a much better round in all regards when you start talking distance and ballistics.

Truth be known I just have a affection for my .308 "battle rifles"; PTR91, M1A, FAL.

Hopefully one day my AR will shoot 6.5G.

-James.

I wouldn't volunteer to get hit with a .22 at a mile.

With respect to ballistics, especially in a gas gun, the .223 would really surprise you. It will keep up with a .308 168gr out at 600 yards. Heavier bullets will give the .308 an advantage but they are hard on gas guns. There are even .223 bullets available that will provide wind bucking abilities that rival the .300 Win Mag with a 190gr bullet.

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    If you want to learn to do something better than use the best tool that will achieve that purpose. I compete with the AR SR. I practice with an AR 22lr. I have no problem picking up my M1A, M1, 03A3, or one of my Mausers and getting out on the firing line for an across the course match. I may or may not score as high point wise with the other group as with my AR but if you're considering something other than competition I would not want to be down range from me or any other AR competitor using any rifle.

Building shooting skills is what competition is all about. Use whatever you feel is right for you but looking at what shows up at any given match and what takes the place money the AR is at this time the most competitive platform today.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    If you want to learn to do something better than use the best tool that will achieve that purpose. I compete with the AR SR. I practice with an AR 22lr. I have no problem picking up my M1A, M1, 03A3, or one of my Mausers and getting out on the firing line for an across the course match. I may or may not score as high point wise with the other group as with my AR but if you're considering something other than competition I would not want to be down range from me or any other AR competitor using any rifle.

Building shooting skills is what competition is all about. Use whatever you feel is right for you but looking at what shows up at any given match and what takes the place money the AR is at this time the most competitive platform today.

Mike, You left out your M1 Carbine. No love?

Mike is right. Once you understand and can apply the fundamentals, your shooting with any rifle becomes better.

The above comment concerning wanting to kill the target rather than **** it off was made in jest, but was pretty stupid given the subject of the original post. I doubt that the target gives a rat's ass about the caliber. Remember, the original poster was talking about learning to shoot his open sighted AR, not killing any man or beast. I can offer help at hitting targets with a rifle whether it be a wimpy gun like an AR or a man gun like a .308. As a matter of fact, I doubt that there are more than one or two people that are members of this board who can do it better. Ask my juniors who are shooting the 95+% scores at 600 yards with open sighted ARs.

Dan

Last edited:

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    Guys,

Don't settle for less just shoot .308 ;) and I know its off the OP but the 5.56 is a very velocity depended projectile sure it will punch holes in paper at 600 or more yards but it isn't good for much more than that at longer distances. Terminal ballistics are more than just a hole i.e. reliable fragmentation.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Terminal ballistics were not an issue in the string. That adds a whole new dimension to the equation such as the nature of the target. Is it a groundhog? A man? Or an elk? The .308 is not a panacea for all needs. From a shooting standpoint, the .223 doesn't give up much, if anything, to the .308. From a hitting standpoint, the AR-15 platform is far superior to any other military style rifle out there (AR-10 runs a very close 2nd, but 2nd nonetheless because of the greater recoil). From a killing standpoint, the .308 has the advantage provided you can place the shot. However, as you stated, terminal ballistics are more than just a hole. You have to look at how the bullet performs, with respect to military calibers, you should look at how much a bullet yaws when it hits flesh. A .224 bullet that turns sideways as it penetrates will do more damage than a .308 that punches straight through. But then again, all of this has no relevance to the original post.

By the way, I don't think you answered my query concerning why you would choose a .308 to shoot past 200 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom