AR Lower?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjt0311

Pocket Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    ok so out of my depth here, going to be building a AR(22)
    will be buying a full upper from borebuddy. and looking for opinions on lowers. does brand really matter? really the only thing i would prefer it have is the Magpul PRS gen2 or gen3 stock. will go with a good trigger such as the SSA-E trigger but possibly look at the equal in a single stage? ARs are not my normal thing.

would an AREO lower with the above mentioned be a weird thing?
    Again this is going on a .22lr build im not fighting for my life with this thing, but will be pushing it in competitions so reliability is a huge factor.

oh will also be a dedicated lower if that matters any

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    For a 22 build, any decent lower should be fine (Anderson, Aero or any other average brand). I would suggest to find a bargain lower and install the parts you mentioned above. All those parts are simple to install yourself.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Do yourself a favor and order this now. This is my favorite regular buy from PSA. Magpul MOE stock, grip and trigger guard and a nice nickel boron “EPT” trigger. Drop a $12 set of JP springs in it and you’ll have a sweet lower for $149 plus tax. Shipping is free and although it says “Blem” I’ve yet to buy one with a visible flaw.
    Their lowest price lower has been running about $119 with standard mil spec furniture and trigger group but not always with free shipping.
    You’ll then have to swap the buffer, tube and spring to a rifle length but you’ll have half the furniture installed already and some spare parts while saving money.

Attachments

• IMG_3718.png
      IMG_3718.png
      158.4 KB · Views: 16
    Last edited:

IlivnDaBoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    SHREVEPORT
    Do yourself a favor and order this now. This is my favorite regular buy from PSA. Magpul MOE stock, grip and trigger guard and a nice nickel boron “EPT” trigger. Drop a $12 set of JP springs in it and you’ll have a sweet lower for $149 plus tax. Shipping is free and although it says “Blem” I’ve yet to buy one with a visible flaw.
    Their lowest price lower has been running about $119 with standard mil spec furniture and trigger group but not always with free shipping.
    You’ll then have to swap the buffer, tube and spring to a rifle length but you’ll have half the furniture installed already and some spare parts while saving money.
    I agree! PSA ALWAYS has AMAZING deals. I purchased the same kit un blemished and the 10 magazine special they were running for my 1st AR-15 build for 159. Can't beat PSA when it comes to sales!

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    ...pushing it in competitions...

I see you mention using this build in competitions. I have a Borebuddy build to practice for high power competitions. While it is reliable, it is not as accurate as my Ruger 10/22 with a target barrel & Volquartsen hammer. FYI, my Borebuddy barrel likes the heavier 22 ammo. I'm getting the best accuracy with 45gr made for suppressors.

cjt0311

Pocket Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Are you using the borebuddy match barrel?
    I looked at doing the 10/22 route with a full KIDD build but want the AR look/feel.

And to be different. It may never come out for “real” match as it’s hard to beat my custom Vudoo. But for fun matches this would be nice

But also as long as it’s sub MOA with my ammo it doesn’t really need to be much better than that for PRS/NRL22 style matches, don’t need it for benchrest /f-class accuracy. A hit on the edge is the same as a hit dead center

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I looked at doing the 10/22 route with a full KIDD build but want the AR look/feel.

And to be different. It may never come out for “real” match as it’s hard to beat my custom Vudoo. But for fun matches this would be nice

But also as long as it’s sub MOA with my ammo it doesn’t really need to be much better than that for PRS/NRL22 style matches, don’t need it for benchrest /f-class accuracy. A hit on the edge is the same as a hit dead center

Yes, I am using the 21" match barrel. If by "sub MOA", you mean less than an inch at 100 yards, then you might be a little disappointed. I'm not sure why Borebuddy went with the 1-12″ twist rate but it is a bit fast for my normally very accurate 22lr match ammo. As mentioned earlier, I'm getting the best accuracy from the 45gr 22lr ammo meant for suppressed shooting.

cjt0311

Pocket Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    That’s weird I use a 1:13 and win alot
    Tho that may be the barrel quality too.

So I guess not to expect the below out of this rig. Can I come shooting with you? I need to see this in action if I am gonna buy one

Attachments

• IMG_5623.jpeg
      IMG_5623.jpeg
      361.5 KB · Views: 14

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Sounds like you may need to check into the SR 10/22 or better yet, the Nordic Components version. I’ve got both. I simply bought both kits. I did see someone selling a SR here last month or so. I haven’t fitted either for a rifle stock but they accept a milspec buffer tube and no need for the guts. I used a standard Midwest industries 10” free float handguard, a MFT minimalist stock and a Magpul K plus grip on this one (off the shelf AR furniture) I initially had a factory Ruger barrel but have since gone to a carbon fiber. 2.5 pound BX triggers suit me just fine. To me, it’s the best of both worlds. All aluminum with integrated riser. Shown is the Nordic Components chassis. Weight is way less that an AR but you could easily come close if you used a bull barrel. Mount points are solid and the optic holds zero perfectly. The upper half makes use of the threaded receiver holes meant for the scope rail on the Ruger receiver. Just a thought.

Attachments

• IMG_3723.png
      IMG_3723.png
      3 MB · Views: 13
    • IMG_3722.png
      IMG_3722.png
      3.8 MB · Views: 13
    • IMG_3721.png
      IMG_3721.png
      3.5 MB · Views: 14
    Last edited:

cjt0311

Pocket Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    @Magdump took your suggestion and bought the lower. ill wait till everything comes in to get the PRS butstock as its another 250, couldnt find a lower with it already. gonna try this borebuddy thing. we shall see....if it sucks i throw it on snipers hide and recoup something lol

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    @Magdump took your suggestion and bought the lower. ill wait till everything comes in to get the PRS butstock as its another 250, couldnt find a lower with it already. gonna try this borebuddy thing. we shall see....if it sucks i throw it on snipers hide and recoup something lol
    I hear ya man. Let us know how it turns out.

Top Bottom