Ar Platform. 6.5 vs 6.8

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    What would be advantage of a over the other?
    Primary use would be hunting.
    Cost per round less of factor than longer distance.
    Overall range. Out to 500 yards.
    I have a 300 Blk for closer range hunting.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    6.5 grendel or creedmore? If I'm not mistaking they're offering the creedmore now but I think its in the ar-10 platform.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Of the three calibers you mention I chose 6.8 for hunting in this part of the country. If I lived out west I'd probably have leaned toward 6.5 One can argue for days even years about ballistics between 6.5 and 6.8 For my money, it was and still is a matter of barrel length/light weight and ammo choices/cost/future availability. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I can't comment on 6.5 other than my biased opinions.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    6.8 is defiantly a hard hitter and ammo is more available on the shelves.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    You get a slightly heavier harder hitter w/ the 6.8 but not by my much; they push almost the same. Either will get you out to 300+ yards. I think the 6.8 has a slight edge because it is 'currently' more widely adopted by hunters and the bullets are an exact match for a 270. You would be happy with either and the one you buy will be your favorite. ;-)

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Did my research between the two and went with 6.5 Grendel. Under 300 yds there is not a nickels difference. Beyond 300 the grendel pulls ahead and only looks better the farther it flies. That appealed to me.

The Grendel is on the ar15 platform.

For hunting either one will do fine. I like shooting targets out to 600 (maybe further one day); the grendel will do this better.

I don't shop at Walmart so the "on the shelf" excuse means nothing to me. I buy ammo by the case with ease. Selway Armory often sells hornady 123 amax or sst for under $20 per box. Cheaper ammo is available from Wolf and PPU. You can also buy it from Alexander Arms and Precision Firearms. I'm sure there are others. Now that I have plenty of brass my focus will turn to reloading.

If you want more info look at the Grendel forum. Great guys over there. 65grendel.com

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Both will do, however keep in mind that most data for the 6.5G is from longer barrels, where the 6.8SPC performs well in shorter barrels. The 6.5G shines for bucking wind and drop over distance because of higher bullet BC. Comparing similar ammo (weight bullets, manufacturer), the 6.5G is about 100fps slower than the 6.8SPC using same length barrels, however d/t the higher BC it retains velocity and energy better over distance.

http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5-Grendel-123-gr-A-MAX
    http://www.hornady.com/store/6.8mm-SPC-120-GR-SST/

All that said, we (my wife and I) run 6.8SPCs in 16in configurations. We've had no problem laying down deer & hogs using the 120gr SST factory loads from Hornady. Federal does offer a 90gr Gold Dot Protected Point (smoking fast at around 2800fps from a 16in barrel), that currently is on sale at Palmetto State Armory for $10/box...it's also getting good reviews on deer from SBRs all the way through 20in rifles. If you want to learn more about the 6.8SPC and other wildcats, check out the 6.8 forums...

http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    While I am a big 6.8 fan ( I own an ARP built upper ) if you are going to go out over 350 yards I would recommend stepping up to the AR10 platform and going with a 308 cartridge. I don't know where you are hunting but around where I hunted 300 yard shots would never really happen mostly 200 yds and under and at that point the 6.8 cannot be beat.

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I hunt Texas ,La.& Georgia soon I hope. Look ing for a place to hunt there now.
    I will be loading once I get brass.
    I have the lower and upper but I need a barrel . Can regular ar15 bcg and Charging Handle be used? Sounds like I need a 20" barrel in 6.5 G and 16" in the 6.8.
    I guess I could build both then decide. LOL

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I have the lower and upper but I need a barrel . Can regular ar15 bcg and Charging Handle be used? Sounds like I need a 20" barrel in 6.5 G and 16" in the 6.8.

You absolutely do not need two calibers or two barrel lengths unless you just want one or two of each. It it is a wide internet misconception that the Grendel doesn't perform from short barrels. If I didn't enjoy long range shooting I would build a light profile 16" Grendel to hunt with. My preferred hunting gun is my 16". I get to use it when my daughter doesn't hunt with me.

All you need is a barrel and matching bolt head spaced to the barrel. My advise is buy the two from the same company.

Also, you are more than welcome to meet me at Lake Charles Gun club after hunting season to see first hand what a Grendel can do. I can travel your direction if you have a place to shoot.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    While I am a big 6.8 fan ( I own an ARP built upper ) if you are going to go out over 350 yards I would recommend stepping up to the AR10 platform and going with a 308 cartridge. I don't know where you are hunting but around where I hunted 300 yard shots would never really happen mostly 200 yds and under and at that point the 6.8 cannot be beat.

Keep in mind, that ar10 is bigger bulkier and much heavier and parts often don't interchange between manufacturer.

My 16" Grendel is just over 8 pounds with scope. I could shed some weight with a lighter profile barrel if I wanted.

A milspec ar15 is a milspec ar15 ....

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Keep in mind, that ar10 is bigger bulkier and much heavier and parts often don't interchange between manufacturer.

My 16" Grendel is just over 8 pounds with scope. I could shed some weight with a lighter profile barrel if I wanted.

A milspec ar15 is a milspec ar15 ....

I realize that the AR 10 is heavier but if I was dong longer range shooting that is what I would go for. On 68forums user Breaststroker has gotten his AR10 down to like 6 lbs I believe. Personally I would like to have the extra power for long range but to each their own.

How reliably do the 6.5 bullets open at 400 to 500 yards? that would be my biggest worry with long range shooting with either the 6.5 or 6.8 is that the bullet would not open up and would pass through like an FMJ and at that point shot placement is key and how many people train to hit a small area at that range?

Just a side note make sure you get a barrel with the SPC II chamber. I think most people use this chamber but better safe than sorry.

Although I do want a AR10 some day but that comes after the SBR 9/45.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I looked at all the options before settling on a 6.8spc build. I am very happy with the caliber and the overall build. I have always wanted a .260 or 6.5creedmor and still one day want to build a 6.5creedmor but I wanted this build to be a hunting rig and so I went with the 6.8spc. You can feel how much more power and knockdown it has over the 5.56 when shooting it. I have been testing mine out with the 120grain Hornady and have enjoyed the way it is performing when I do my part.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I realize that the AR 10 is heavier but if I was dong longer range shooting that is what I would go for. On 68forums user Breaststroker has gotten his AR10 down to like 6 lbs I believe. Personally I would like to have the extra power for long range but to each their own.

How reliably do the 6.5 bullets open at 400 to 500 yards? that would be my biggest worry with long range shooting with either the 6.5 or 6.8 is that the bullet would not open up and would pass through like an FMJ and at that point shot placement is key and how many people train to hit a small area at that range?

Just a side note make sure you get a barrel with the SPC II chamber. I think most people use this chamber but better safe than sorry.

Although I do want a AR10 some day but that comes after the SBR 9/45.

Here is an example. Also note the shooter's family company made the barrel
    http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?9368-502-Yd-Whitetail

Keep in mind the common 1800 fps threshold. Hornady data shows 123sst from Grendel 16" barrel 1885 at 300 and 1744 at 400. 24" barrel shows 1796 at 500.

I believe I have read that some of the copper pills are as low as 1300?

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Here is an example. Also note the shooter's family company made the barrel
    http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?9368-502-Yd-Whitetail

Keep in mind the common 1800 fps threshold. Hornady data shows 123sst from Grendel 16" barrel 1885 at 300 and 1744 at 400. 24" barrel shows 1796 at 500.

I believe I have read that some of the copper pills are as low as 1300?

I know that Barnes made the TTSX able to open at lower velocities when they created a bullet for the 6.8 so that it would open at longer distances can't remember the threshold off hand. Not sure what they have done for the 6.5 though as I do not follow that round.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I hunt Texas ,La.& Georgia soon I hope. Look ing for a place to hunt there now.
    I will be loading once I get brass.

Yes ar 15 carrier and charging handle gtg. The only differences are bolt, barrel and mags.

Get whatever barrel length you want. You just wont get that much more from a 16" 6.8

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    I know that Barnes made the TTSX able to open at lower velocities when they created a bullet for the 6.8 so that it would open at longer distances can't remember the threshold off hand. Not sure what they have done for the 6.5 though as I do not follow that round.

IIRC, the TTSX for the 6.8 had a lower threshold of 1600fps for full expansion. The one made for .300BO/Whisper/etcetcetc (it's been around for decades under one name or another) was 1300fps.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    For those that are shooting them how is the recoil on both the 6.5 and 6.8? Looking to either purchase or build an upper so that my 9yr old daughter can hunt with it but havent personally shot either yet.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    For those that are shooting them how is the recoil on both the 6.5 and 6.8? Looking to either purchase or build an upper so that my 9yr old daughter can hunt with it but havent personally shot either yet.

It's a little more than a 5.56 version, but it's a lot less than a .243W or 7mm-08 bolt action. The louder, deeper report is the biggest difference between the 6.8SPC & the 5.56NATO. Recoil is subjective, but to me, the 6.8SPC in an AR15 is equal to or less than a .410 shotgun.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA

Lots of people are building 6.8 rifles for their kids so I do not imagine the recoil is all that bad. If you want to tame it even more get an adjustable gas block for the rifle and tune it so that it gives it just enough gas to cycle reliably and that will reduce a lot of recoil also. Most are a little over gassed to work with all ammo.

Top Bottom