ar15 build questions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slickcdb2000

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Winnsboro
    Well i'm gonna start a build also. Had a few questions... I have a eotech site and gonna put an a3 upper on it. If I keep the standard front site on it will I be able to see that site through the eotech? I will put a flip up rear site but just not sure about the front site yet.

And... what are the plus and minuses of xm177 style rifle? the ones with the short barrel and 5.5 inch flash hider. I love the way they look but are they practical?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    An Eotech will cowitness exactly with an F marked FSP.

Some people like a lower 1/3rd witness, in which case they make risers.

Personally, I don't like anything in my FOV, so I am a stickler for flip up BUIS front and rear.

I can think of no good reason for those- I am no expert on them by any means, but I would suspect that they are for someone who wants to almost have an SBR, but not really. A Vortex FS or a Phantom will hide flash as well as it can be hidden, so it is not like have a giant unweildy FS is necessary.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Seems to me like there's no good reason to make a barrel shorter other than reducing overall length, which isn't the case with that crazy flash hider. I guess it's purely cosmetic, at the cost of lowered velocity. No thanks!

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    If you like the look of the XM 177, get a 16" upper w/ a "reverse" flash hider. it will look just like an XM 177, but without the velocity/accuracy loss of the 10.5" barrel. Best of both worlds in your case. A reverse flash hider is threaded on the muzzle end, and the back part slides over the barrel to simulate the look of the XM177 as in the picture below.

2607122448_feb62007%20003.jpg

slickcdb2000

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Winnsboro
    Well.... that answered my xm177 question... and I like the idea of the reverse flash hider. but what about the site? I'm sure you answered it in your first post....will I be able to see a standard front site through the lens of the eotech?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    If you have any kind of decent flip up (front or rear) it will not be in your way. I'm sure someone makes some huge honkin one somewhere that you would still see, but I've never seen one.

In short-

If you don't want anything in your field of view, you must have flip front and or rear.

If you have a fixed front, it will be right in front of your reticle, unless you put your EOTech on a riser, in which case it will be right beneath your reticle.

slickcdb2000

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Winnsboro
    Thats what I needed to know. any other suggestions on my first build? I found an EA stipped lower at a shot near my house for 130$.... is that a decent price?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Not bad.

I would get a Stag or RRA for that, but (for the most part, not 100% true) a lower is a lower.

I am not knocking EA, I don't know anything about them- others on here do, they'll probably chime in shortly.

That is not a bad price for a stripped right now.

Top Bottom