AR15 Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Hey guys, I need some help to diagnose the problems I'm having with my AR pistol I buillt. I'm at my whits end with this thing.

Here's the specs on the build

Upper:
    JSE surplus 11.5" CMV barreled complete upper
    Semi-Auto BCG and charging handle that came with upper

Lower:
    Spikes lower receiver
    RRA LPK
    ACE improved pistol receiver extension buffer tube

I'm getting constant double feeds, failure to ejects, and spent casings jammed between the bolt face and the charging handle.
    If I load 1 round into the mag and shoot it, it won't lock the bolt back. I used 6 different Pmags all with the same result.
    I took the bolt carrier out of my bushmaster, which is identical, and used it and the gun ran perfectly.
    I thought the buffer not being heavy enough might be the problem until I put Bushy BCG in it and it ran fine. The buffer in the pistol and the rifle seem to be the same, no markings on either one.
    I'm using Federal 55gr 5.56 ammo

I called JSE and they told me that the upper needs to be broken in, but the problems have not gotten any better the more I try to shoot it.
    Here are some pics of the jams:

IMAG0210.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

This one was a real doozy, spent casing was stuck between the top of the bolt and the charging handle, in the channel of the charging handle
    IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

All these jams are separate incidents.

Anybody got any advice on how to remedy these problems?

Thanks,
    Josh

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    It looks like you have way too much oil on the bcg to start.

You've eliminated the mag problem, so it's got to be feed ramp/BCG issue. Clean it and lightly oil the bolt and go from there.

Also be sure the feedramps are aligned and cut correctly.

If you have another bcg try it.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It looks like you have way too much oil on the bcg to start.

You've eliminated the mag problem, so it's got to be feed ramp/BCG issue. Clean it and lightly oil the bolt and go from there.

Also be sure the feedramps are aligned and cut correctly.

If you have another bcg try it.

You CANNOT over oil an AR. That's terrible advice. The feed raamps are also no capable of causing double feeds. The problem is that JSE sells parts that are so shitty and out of spec that they should be ashamed of them. No AR Upper requires a break in. That's a manufacturer trying to find an excuse for some junk they sold not working as it should. Insist that they replace both the upper and BCG although I'm fairly certain a junk Bolt and Carrier Group are the problem. Again you CANNOT over lubricate an AR.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    You CANNOT over oil an AR. That's terrible advice. The feed raamps are also no capable of causing double feeds. The problem is that JSE sells parts that are so shitty and out of spec that they should be ashamed of them. No AR Upper requires a break in. That's a manufacturer trying to find an excuse for some junk they sold not working as it should. Insist that they replace both the upper and BCG although I'm fairly certain a junk Bolt and Carrier Group are the problem. Again you CANNOT over lubricate an AR.

That's what I was thinking, I never heard of an over oiled AR. I have tried another BCG and it worked fine. I'll be calling them monday to try to get the issue resolved.

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    My bet is on the extractor spring.

IF IT WERE MINE..... I would take the spring out of another BCG and swap just the spring and see if that helped.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I don't know I guess it's just me, the oil makes it dirtier faster, although I do agree more oil may make it run longer dirtier but I hate cleaning them everything gets nasty the oil makes it worse. I lightly oil and never have any problems, clean up is faster, but I only shoot 2-300 rounds at a time....

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I don't mind the cleaning. It's that time when it could have used more oil and there ain't exactly time to do it.

For plinking or range, I could understand though.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Is it a new recoil spring? What buffer are you using.

New carbine spring and carbine buffer, and that's what has me baffled, I took the bcg out of my 16" bushmaster and put it in the new upper and it ran perfectly, no jams, and it locked the bolt back on empty mag. Both bcg's are s/a and look the same.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Try just changing the bolt. My guess is it's a weak or defective extractor.

I would switch to an H buffer as well to slow things down a little.

I bet a new extractor with a strong extractor spring and d buffer will fix all of the issues.

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    You need a much heavier buffer, at least a H2. I like the Spikes T2, my brother uses the T2 in a 8.5 in LWRC SBR and it works well. If you go SBR get the VLTOR A5.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    Now that's funny.There is enough oil in that thing to run my car.As far as over oiling.
    Sure its possible and can happen.If you will look,you will see there is so much oil,it
    is getting on the shells.Which in turn is making them sticky.You can tell this because
    there is oil on the shell deflector.That could cause FTE issues,but unlikely.I agree with
    the BCG change.Most company's do not make their own BCGs.SO it happens.But sure
    JSE sucks,,I say everyone quit buying from them.Boycott.LMAO

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Now that's funny.There is enough oil in that thing to run my car.As far as over oiling.
    Sure its possible and can happen.If you will look,you will see there is so much oil,it
    is getting on the shells.Which in turn is making them heavier.You can tell this because
    there is oil on the shell deflector.That could cause FTE issues,but unlikely.I agree with
    the BCG change.Most company's do not make their own BCGs.SO it happens.But sure
    JSE sucks,,I say everyone quit buying from them.Boycott.LMAOOOoooo

And your supposing the drops of oil making the "shells" heavier is causing them to not extract? You clearly have not seen the violence of action and forc involved in an AR cycling. You cannot over oil an AR. Whatever excess oil you apply will be flung out the open ejection port as the bolt cycles. Its almost as if an engineer designed it to be so....oh wait.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    It's not the BCG! Or the oil!

I 100% bet it's the extractor failing to pull the case out of the chamber. What do your case rims look like?

There could be several underlying issues.

Carrier velocity too high (gas port too large), too much pressure at extraction and carrier speed too high to hold Onto case
    Chamber out of spec (too much friction)
    Weak extractor spring
    Out of spec extractor

A slow bolt velocity and delayed unlocking is always preferred. A heavier buffer helps with this. Stronger extractor springs will help to hold onto the case rim.

I would use the heaviest buffer that gives 100% reliability with the weakest ammo you will use.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom