Areas to avoid in New Orleans?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm moving down to Lafayette next week and will be driving out to New Orleans frequently as I have some good friends there. They're in the Bywater neighborhood but I'll no doubt be checking out other parts of the city. What are the particularly bad areas I should avoid while down there?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Honestly people are going to tell you to avoid the place.

My advice; act smart, no drinking in public areas and stick to the very well populated touristy areas. There really is safety in numbers.

Don't bother asking about neighborhoods if you're unfamiliar with the area. You can go from up town French Quarter to cut your throat on the street corner in less than a block.

Keep it simple. No gallivanting off with your head in the clouds.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I'd stay away from the area between Lake Ponchatrain and the Mississippi, and between Jefferson Parish and St. Bernard Parish. You're safe everywhere else. And NEVER go to the West Bank.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Some parts of the West Bank are ok. I'm not going to lie, I've walked down Bourbon just a friend and I at like 1am on a Tuesday. Most of the city is a coin flip to being safe and dangerous. I avoid NO East. Mostly stick to Old Metairie, Metairie, Uptown and Downtown.

But that's just me.

ETA: Everyone that's saying if you act out of place makes you a target is correct. The girl I walked down Bourbon with lives in the CBD and will walk up around Canal Street at 3am because she's bored. Granted, she usually has a dog with her, but other times she's going to Bourbon Street or another bar to meet up with people. If you look out of place, you are a target. Keep your cool and you will be fine. I grew up in NOLA and went out and met up with people with no trouble.

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    As with any place, its about body language. If you act out of place, you become a target. Use common sense and if somthing does not feel right, then act accordingly. I work in the business district and crime occurs there as well. N.O. has streets with multi-million dollar homes with following streets being slums. Its just the gumbo of Nawlins.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Your friends who live there can tell you better than those who live hours away and never go to the except for the occasional football game, bachelor party, or those who just base experience off of going to bourbon street. If your going to the bywater check out the Joint for some tastes BBQ

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    If you are lacking in the street smarts anywhere can be dangerous.Half the ppl who badmouth the N.O have never been here and the other half would be scared in any big city thats about 75% black.Stay away from drug dealers and remember you can get hurt here.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    If you are lacking in the street smarts anywhere can be dangerous.Half the ppl who badmouth the N.O have never been here and the other half would be scared in any big city thats about 75% black.Stay away from drug dealers and remember you can get hurt here.
    I BADMMOUTH N.O. ALL THE TIME ! I HAVE LIVED AND HAVE BEEN THERE MANY TIMES ! I only go to your place because you have lots of GUNS!!!!! lol

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Unfortunately all the "Bad" places are also the "Fun" places. However, I was just reviewing my American Express bill from last month and I would definitely avoid the Penthouse Club in the French Quarter.

The Big Easy is awesome. Relax and enjoy it. YOLO!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom