Arrowhead hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Used to do it a lot as a kid/teen. You could pay the farmer $5 to walk behind the tractor as he disked the field, or walk the creeks/river after a flood/heavy rain. Had lots of hammers, knife parts, arrow and spear points, etc...
    They were stolen along time ago.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Some arrowheads and fool's gold.

aheads.jpg

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The only time I ever discovered one was at the ruins of an 11th century castle in Cabard (Cabaret) in the French Pyrenees. I can tell you I had a moment of conscience deciding whether to keep it or not. In the end I turned it in to the ranger station, and the woman there told me it likely came from the early inhabitants that predated the historical record.

Here's the site where I found it in a cave on the mountainside to the right:

Regine%20Surdespine%20Quertinheux%20from%20Cabaret%2001.jpg

Last edited:

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Whatever you do, don't get caught picking them up on any kind of public property.

Short version, there's a law called ARPA; it makes picking up anything that is both manmade and over 100 years old on any sort of public property a federal offense, and there are some people with various agencies who seem to have a hardon for enforcing it.

latour50

Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Was my favorite thing to do when I was a kid. My dad and I found thousands of stone artifacts mostly in the plowed fields of farmers and land owners we got permission from. Some of my fondest memories. This eventually led to my Archaeology degree at LSU! Pictures to follow.

Latour

Last edited:

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    +1 for what he said.

Here is a link that might help: http://www.americanarrowheads.com/id15.html

Whatever you do, don't get caught picking them up on any kind of public property.

Short version, there's a law called ARPA; it makes picking up anything that is both manmade and over 100 years old on any sort of public property a federal offense, and there are some people with various agencies who seem to have a hardon for enforcing it.

Lckstcknbrrl

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    lafayette La
    I have a small collection going. But can't get pics posted on here!:curse: Found on private land. A little pottery also. I have always been interested in this type of stuff. Never had a good place to go looking until now though. Anyone around here know someone that can ID points? I've done tons of research. But would love to meet someone with knowledge of this type of thing.

latour50

Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a small collection going. But can't get pics posted on here!:curse: Found on private land. A little pottery also. I have always been interested in this type of stuff. Never had a good place to go looking until now though. Anyone around here know someone that can ID points? I've done tons of research. But would love to meet someone with knowledge of this type of thing.

I still have a bunch of reference books for identifying point types and age etc. Would like to see your collection and try to identify some of them. Email or PM me and we can set it up.

Latour

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    +1 for what he said.

Here is a link that might help: http://www.americanarrowheads.com/id15.html

It's important to note that ARPA isn't limited to arrowheads either. I learned about it on a forum for old bottle collectors. We've got a section of land between the levee wall and the river here that has served as a hangout for generations of alcoholics and is a prime source for old bottles. Unfortunately, since the land is ACOE controlled, if I were to pick up a bottle that was over 100 years old, I could be prosecuted. While I doubt there are boats of federal agents patrolling the river for bottle pickers, I also wouldn't want to go posting about where I found something and end up in the crosshairs of some desk jockey bureaucrat browsing forums wanting to make a name for himself.

I came across a real sight to see a while back, 6 1890s beer bottles in a heap coming out of the eroding bank. 5 were broken, but one was just laying there on the riverbank like it was dropped yesterday. I've found a ton of old Coca Cola bottles back there too.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I came across a real sight to see a while back, 6 1890s beer bottles in a heap coming out of the eroding bank. 5 were broken, but one was just laying there on the riverbank like it was dropped yesterday. I've found a ton of old Coca Cola bottles back there too.

My step-father is into old bottle collecting, What is the name of the website, if you still have it? I would like to forward it to him if you dont mind.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Huh, I learned something new. We were always told as kids that the Hopi and Shawnee were local to us.
    I went to the mounds in peebles(serpent) and can't remember who they said built them.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Huh, I learned something new. We were always told as kids that the Hopi and Shawnee were local to us.
    I went to the mounds in peebles(serpent) and can't remember who they said built them.

The Hopi are in the SouthWest, like the Navajos. Lots of different Indian tribes in the mid-west and their histories are very interesting.

The Wiki article is really interesting, esp the astronomical aspects. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_Mound

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I found a egg-shaped stone with a groove around one end that I was told was a net weight. I also found some broken pottery.

Top Bottom