Ascension Parish Firearms Laws - APSO Please Chime In

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Even if these meanies shut me down in my yard, I promise I will always defend your ability to keep doing it in yours. :hi5:

Of course, you will always have those pseudo-gun lovers that say they believe in "The Right"; but as soon they see another person have something they don't or can't, or even lose; watch how fast they leave you on your own!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Off of 42, on Camp Drive. Between Prairieville and Little Prairie.

That was/is still quite rural. You shouldn't have had issues there in the first place. But, the rule in Ascension Parish now is: once was one family's cow pasture is now some parasite developers 300 unit subdivision.

However, because I am a full blown Capitalist, I can't disparage a person making money. What I can disparage and warn everyone about is; the people that call for these restrictive gun laws are usually transplants from other places where casual shooting is not even heard of; and almost always have some phony liberal douche mindset!

Those of us that are used to rural hunting/shooting almost never have any issues with others shooting nearby unless those that do are completely irresponsible morons!

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    If one was looking to buy property in Ascension for this reason among others, what parts of the parish are best? Of course I'm looking for 5-20 acres if possible.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If one was looking to buy property in Ascension for this reason among others, what parts of the parish are best? Of course I'm looking for 5-20 acres if possible.

The only large land tracts left in Ascension (that gun play may have a future (even if only a short one)), are in the East and Southeast quadrant (St. Amant, French Settlement, Around the Bayous and River), etc.

If you buy near an existing, under construction, or future, subdivision; you will probably be disappointed when the douches of the bunch move in.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville

Good luck with that. Land in Ascension demands premium prices. Most of the "open" land has been or will soon be developed. The remaining parcels are likely to be flood prone or are not for sale. Industry along the river has gobbled up large buffer zones that would otherwise be suitable. I'm not saying you can't find something in the 5-20 acre size. But it won't be easy to find and likely won't be cheap.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville

I looked for at least five years to find a suitable place. Most 5 acre spots are still too close to neighbors to be confident you can shoot. I had to buy a house I didn't love and basically gut it. Most places I looked at were surrounded already or you could tell it would be imminent that they would be. And Emperor is right, most of the people that move in don't appreciate the reasons that make a place nice to move to and try to turn it into what they left. Not much different than international immigration lol.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I looked for at least five years to find a suitable place. Most 5 acre spots are still too close to neighbors to be confident you can shoot. I had to buy a house I didn't love and basically gut it. Most places I looked at were surrounded already or you could tell it would be imminent that they would be. And Emperor is right, most of the people that move in don't appreciate the reasons that make a place nice to move to and try to turn it into what they left. Not much different than international immigration lol.

Of course he is! ;)

One reason that casual rural shooting (even in close proximity to neighbors), is worth fighting for is it familiarizes those around with the practice and makes it "normal" to hear shots being fired. Hence, no reason to care or make a fuss. We have allowed the anti-gun crowd to push our hobby in the shadows. Even those not familiar with growing up with guns don't know if they like it or not. For sure though, we should try to make shooting as common place as possible.

Now, the reason that I scoffed at Austin's positively inane suggestion earlier is, I; like most, have some neighbors that are congenital douchebags. Mine are the holier than thou type DB's. You know; the ones that think their **** doesn't smell and their kids are angels, and their dads never took them fishing, hunting, or anything else fun, so they are fun killers now too. They don't understand it when they see me plucking feathers off of ducks and doves; or skinning squirrels, or killing bullfrogs by whacking them on trailer hitch of my truck in my driveway, and because of that; they have no understanding of why I would want to plink in my yard.

However; the very blurred line is when a complete moron is recklessly endangering others with his/her ridiculously flawed interpretation of safety. I admit, that I don't see it often where I am, but one of my neighbors, while cool, is semi retarded too. He has money to buy cool toys, but no sense to always operate them safely. I don't want to have to call the cops! I don't want to have to scold him or her either! It's HIS property! As long as I don't physically see him doing something stupid, or hear bullets whizzing overhead by me, I am in the crowd that stands by the slogan; to each his own.

So it is a tough call; sometimes.

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    The only large land tracts left in Ascension (that gun play may have a future (even if only a short one)), are in the East and Southeast quadrant (St. Amant, French Settlement, Around the Bayous and River), etc.

If you buy near an existing, under construction, or future, subdivision; you will probably be disappointed when the douches of the bunch move in.

Good luck with that. Land in Ascension demands premium prices. Most of the "open" land has been or will soon be developed. The remaining parcels are likely to be flood prone or are not for sale. Industry along the river has gobbled up large buffer zones that would otherwise be suitable. I'm not saying you can't find something in the 5-20 acre size. But it won't be easy to find and likely won't be cheap.

And i guess that should have been a second question. Which areas are flood prone? I was looking in the East and Southeast as Emperor suggested.

Won't be cheap? I guess I was expecting to be in the $100K range for 5-10 acres.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Won't be cheap? I guess I was expecting to be in the $100K range for 5-10 acres.

Think higher. Last year I sold a lot which was less than 1/2 an acre and was not in a subdivision.............about $34,000. anything notably less expensive than that will most likely be flood prone.

Last edited:

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    Think higher. Last year I sold a lot which was less than 1/2 an acre and was not in a subdivision.............about $34,000. anything notably less expensive than that will most likely be flood prone.

I did find a couple hits recently, one 4 acres for $100K and another 8 acres for $100K. How's the Hwy 933 or 42 area?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I did find a couple hits recently, one 4 acres for $100K and another 8 acres for $100K. How's the Hwy 933 or 42 area?

Depends on exact location. As suggested, check the flood zone maps. The Hwy 933 at 42 area can involve Henderson Bayou flood zone or Amite River flood zone. As I said earlier, because nearly all of the prime real estate in Ascension Parish is already settled or will be soon, any remaining parcels of low cost are likely to be in a flood zone.

Jackarup1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Gonzales
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but we just had a visit by the Ascension Parish Sheriffs Office for shooting in our yard. We live in Gonzales but not in the city limits, the Dutchtown area. We have lived here over 30 years and it was so rural back then that we not only shot here, we hunted behind our house and across the street. Well guess whats across the street now? Yep, a subdivision. And behind us are now houses.

I had previously checked on laws regarding shooting on ones own property in Ascension and found nothing. The APSO deputies were super nice about it but the douche across the street had called and of course they had to respond. We were told that although no parish law exists, we were possibly in violation of state law and if another complaint was called in a summons would be issued if it was the same shooter as last time since we all shoot at one time or another.

So the douche has effectively shut down 30+ years of us being able to shoot safely on our property. We do have neighbors on each side who could care less if we shoot as long as we do so safely and we try not to over do it either. Usually a few magazines of .22 to get our shooting fix.

Last edited:

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    A shooting tube can go a long way, so I've heard.
    Basically a sonotube or drainage pipe lined with insulation. I haven't personally used one bit I understand that they really remove a lot of the crack that ticks off the douche bag types.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but we just had a visit by the Ascension Parish Sheriffs Office for shooting in our yard. We live in Gonzales but not in the city limits, the Dutchtown area. We have lived here over 30 years and it was so rural back then that we not only shot here, we hunted behind our house and across the street. Well guess whats across the street now? Yep, a subdivision. And behind us are now houses.

I had previously checked on laws regarding shooting on ones own property in Ascension and found nothing. The APSO deputies were super nice about it but the douche across the street had called and of course they had to respond. We were told that although no parish law exists, we were possibly in violation of state law and if another complaint was called in a summons would be issued if it was the same shooter as last time since we all shoot at one time or another.

So the douche has effectively shut down 30+ years of us being able to shoot safely on our property. We do have neighbors on each side who could care less if we shoot as long as we do so safely and we try not to over do it either. Usually a few magazines of .22 to get our shooting fix.

What would you be cited for?

Jackarup1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Gonzales
    They didn't say specifically, they just cited a vague state law about discharging firearms. I didn't look it up yet but basically the kind of law where they "could" cite you if they wanted. I am going to do research on it tomorrow. I do suppose they could always hang you by using the noise ordinance though.

Top Bottom