Assault weapon pawn shop question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I wonder if you could do a ftf transfer by pawning a gun for $10 and have the new owner pay the pawn broker. Pawn shop probably wouldn't have any of that though. Of course I am speaking of buying a firearm from someone who resides in another state where this is necessary to do a legal transfer.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I wonder if you could do a ftf transfer by pawning a gun for $10 and have the new owner pay the pawn broker. Pawn shop probably wouldn't have any of that though. Of course I am speaking of buying a firearm from someone who resides in another state where this is necessary to do a legal transfer.

Nope. Person pawning it is the one that has to pick it up.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Nope. Person pawning it is the one that has to pick it up.
    I have seen it done with family members.

Pawn shops get a bad rap sometimes. I visit them quite often and pick up great deals. TBH most purchases I make are at pawn shops.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    I have seen it done with family members.

Pawn shops get a bad rap sometimes. I visit them quite often and pick up great deals. TBH most purchases I make are at pawn shops.

That's not true. Anyone who has the original pawn ticket and can pass the background check can pick it up.

Its true here. It doesn't matter if you have the pawn ticket or not. If you're not the one who pawned it you're not the one who is going to pick it up, family or not.

What's to stop someone from going into a shop to pick up the pawned gun of their relative who was denied on his 4473 the day before? The rules are there for a reason.

Here are some links: http://www.google.com/#sclient=tabl...gc.r_pw.&fp=31fe85d1714a14d9&biw=1280&bih=752

Last edited:

Pelican Pawn

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 21, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Every state has its own Pawn Laws. In Louisiana whoever has the pawn ticket can pick up a pawned item. If the item is a firearms they must fill out a 4473 and go thru a NICS background check.

§ 1794. Presentation of ticket, presumption
    Except as otherwise provided in this Part, any person presenting a pawn ticket to the pawnbroker shall be presumed to be
    entitled to redeem the pledged things described therein.

If the person is denied on the background check the firearms can not be released to anyone else. They will lose the firearm or they can appeal the NICS check.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Every state has its own Pawn Laws. In Louisiana whoever has the pawn ticket can pick up a pawned item. If the item is a firearms they must fill out a 4473 and go thru a NICS background check.

§ 1794. Presentation of ticket, presumption
    Except as otherwise provided in this Part, any person presenting a pawn ticket to the pawnbroker shall be presumed to be
    entitled to redeem the pledged things described therein.

If the person is denied on the background check the firearms can not be released to anyone else. They will lose the firearm or they can appeal the NICS check.

Bingo, this is how i saw it happen.

Dad sold gun that was pawned to his daughter because he couldnt afford to take the gun. She presented the ticket, paid the balance and did a 4473.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My favorite is when I ask homie how old he is and he mumbles something about being 22. I ask him for ID because he wants to buy a pistol and instead he motions to his buddy (who is chatting on a cell phone) to provide ID, so...

Homie 1 does not have valid ID.
    Homie 1 was gonna try to straw purchase.
    Homie 2 is only 19.
    Neither one can own the gun and both of them wasted 10 minutes of my life.

Quite frequently we have people come in who try to pick up a girlfriend's boyfriend's brother's pawn item. No ticket, no pickup. Although it's just fine if they want to pay the fee to keep it in pawn. ;)

As far as the assault weapons pawn, law not banning ownership of the weapon, as long as the guy's paperwork is in order to own the weapon he could pick it up. Otherwise, as an FFL, we can't give it to him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom