AT&T vs Verizon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have a friend down the road from me that has been bitching about her AT&T cellphone about not getting signals around her house. And we do have poor signal here in Pride.
    Well a few months ago Verizon built a new tower about 200 yrs behind her house so yesterday she finally had enough and went and got a new Verizon Iphone 4gs.

On her AT&T Iphone 4G she had 1-2 bars. On her new Verizon Iphone 4Gs she has 1-2 bars. She is NOT happy now. :dunno:

gotabyte

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    I'm not convinced about signal strength. Sprint had two bars at my house but never worked consistently. AT&T sometimes has one bar but works. Bottom line is signal bars do not truly indicate call availability. Towers do not always relay properly.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    I have my personal phone with AT&T and my work BlackBerry through Verizon. The BlackBerry usually works very well in most places where AT&T won't

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    I'm thinking she might be too close to the tower

I agree being that close to a tower is more likely to result in signal interference than a better connection.

There are several things you can do at home though. If you have high speed internet and a marginal signal get one of these.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/

If you have decent signal outside you may want a simple external antenna. These are particularly useful if you have a metal roof.

http://www.amazon.com/zBoost-ZB545-...070644&sr=1-1&keywords=verizon+signal+booster

Finally ignore the "bars" of signal strength they are useless and generally misleading.

Most smart phones will have a setting function that shows your signal strength numerically. There are free apps that show you signal strength. Use there to find a decent signal.

http://lifehacker.com/5929546/see-the-actual-signal-strength-on-your-iphone-with-this-quick-tweak

http://www.appszoom.com/android_applications/signal%20strength

If the signal strength is truly poor like it is on my boat you can get a setup like this. However, this will not do you any good unless you have at least some cell signal.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electr...060&sr=8-1&keywords=cell+phone+booster+for+rv

Last edited:

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I've heard equal amounts of complaints about both.
    I have at&t and have two phones. One slider non-smart phone and one android phone.
    Inside my in-laws house my Droid will have 0-1 bars and the slider will have 3-4 bars.
    I also agree the bars don't truly represent signal/reception.
    Basically, its a crap shoot.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    I am confused about cell service also, my att phone has poor service at my house and good service at the deer lease.... friend of mine has good service on sprint at house next door and no service at deer lease. Do the pay by the minute use phones have any better service in all areas? It seems they can use any signal available (if I am correct) and should get signal anywhere.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I have a friend down the road from me that has been bitching about her AT&T cellphone about not getting signals around her house. And we do have poor signal here in Pride.
    Well a few months ago Verizon built a new tower about 200 yrs behind her house so yesterday she finally had enough and went and got a new Verizon Iphone 4gs.

On her AT&T Iphone 4G she had 1-2 bars. On her new Verizon Iphone 4Gs she has 1-2 bars. She is NOT happy now. :dunno:

I get a crappy signal at the house too, with AT&T. But visitors with different carriers don't get anything better. I'm sticking with AT&T because their signal seems to pick up better than the others at my camp. But at either location, dropped calls rarely happen....

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I agree being that close to a tower is more likely to result in signal interference than a better connection.

There are several things you can do at home though. If you have high speed internet and a marginal signal get one of these.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/

I was having reception/signal issues with my Verizon service at home after they moved a tower and Verizon sent me one of those extenders for free. All it took was a phone call to Verizon. Only caveat is that it only works when your internet is working.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    There are boosters and signal repeaters available for in home use that supposedly work very well. Att was actually giving them to their customers at one time, may be worth looking in to.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    295fgd9bxa02k73kfy7x.jpg

I have both AT&T service through work and Verizon for my Internet and Personal Business Phone

I could have not made this post with AT & T service

I agree with Bob above At&T SUCKS....

ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    I have had AT&T since it was called Suncom. I have two Androids and have intermittent signals with iHeart in no man's land east of NO East. The only place I do not have any signal is when I am in Honey Island. I have found out that from the years of having AT&T, when I start losing my signal, I call the tech service and they change my home tower.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Work phone - AT&T
    Personal - Verizon

I haven't had any insane issues with the work phone (yet), mostly just use it for email and hotspots. One person I work with calls me on it. Everyone else calls me on my personal.

Everyone else who is saying signal bars are inaccurate is correct. They're very deceptive.

Just my $0.02.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Well my friend went to the Verizon store this morning and told them she wasn't satisfied and hardly had any signal at her house. She upgraded to another Iphone it was a 5 something I can't remember which one.
    Now she has more signal and is happy.

They also told her that the tower in her yard was data only.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Well my friend went to the Verizon store this morning and told them she wasn't satisfied and hardly had any signal at her house. She upgraded to another Iphone it was a 5 something I can't remember which one.
    Now she has more signal and is happy.

They also told her that the tower in her yard was data only.

Good for her. The iPhone 4's do have a history of reception problems.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom