ATF backing off gun control

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Well I know some of you do not like this website at all, but they do have some interesting news articles at times and this is one of them.
    The news article states that the ATF under President Trump wants to make some changes which will result in them backing off of gun control. Well I downloaded the letter posted and read it under Foxit pdf and sure enough there is talk about the silencers more or less being and archaic law and a burden on the atf. They say there is an 8 month backlog and do not see it getting any better and probably only worse. They said they need to be reclassified in other words. There is mention of the import ban and of the 922r rule or law. I suggest if you have interest to download it and read it also as it sound encouraging.
    http://www.infowars.com/trumps-atf-wants-to-slash-gun-regs-defend-second-amendment/

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Show me the PDF posted at a reliable source. That site is useless.

Not attacking you. I just have zero hopes of that document being authentic unless it is found elsewhere. I'd believe the National Enquirer before I believed anything from that site..........

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see silencers removed from NFA, and all the 922r BS revoked. I want fully built and imported AK's and C&R SVT 40's!!!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    This is confirmation for me that there are some decent folks working for the ATF. The rationale for asking for a change makes sense too, as we all know they must be totally overwhelmed between NFA items and FFL transfers alone. The only real challenge will be the anti gunners and all those extra tax dollars from all the stamps they sell.
    The other thing I didn't see mentioned was SBR's or long gun barrel length in general. Maybe one day we will no longer be bothered with jumping through hoops to build a rifle or shotty like we want.

bigsk

Iconoclast
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just put this in the Class III forum:

A high ranking official at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has written a proposal that could see the removal of many restrictions on gun regulations in the United States.

Ronald B. Turk, associate deputy director and chief operating officer of the ATF, wrote an 11-page *white paper* that calls for the end of regulations on suppressors for firearms. The paper also speaks to:

New Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) Dealing Exclusively at Gun Shows (or internet)
    Armor Piercing Ammunition
    Re-importation of Certain Department of Defense Surplus Firearms from Foreign Countries
    Firearm Arm or Stabilizing Brace
    Reissue a New Sporting Purpose Study
    Creation of a Database of Agency Rulings
    Suppressors
    Firearms Industry Proposals to Allow for Interstate Sale of Firearms at Gun Shows
    Destructive Devices
    You can read the 11-page white paper in its entirety right here.

A known supporter of these relaxed regulations on suppressors is Donald Trump Jr. We saw him sit down with SilencerCo’s CEO, Joshua Waldron, not long ago to discuss this very topic, so it’s encouraging to see things moving along down the line as we push towards new regulations.

*Silencers are very rarely used in criminal shootings,* the white paper states. *Given the lack of criminality associated with silencers, it is reasonable to conclude that they should not be viewed as a threat to public safety.*

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    *Silencers are very rarely used in criminal shootings,* the white paper states. *Given the lack of criminality associated with silencers, it is reasonable to conclude that they should not be viewed as a threat to public safety.*

I would bet this^ is because they are not readily stolen as of now. And one could argue that the strict rules governing their ownership and possession compels people to keep track of these with a little more concern.

Now I am no proponent of this strict NFA silliness, but if/when suppressors become over the counter "type" items, you will see the criminals gladly start using them more often!

Prophesied on this day by Emperor!
    ;)

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I agree - I've been saying for some time that as suppressors become exponentially more popular - 20% growth a year - eventually they will start being used more commonly by criminals.

Not good or bad, just what it is - but rest assured the media will scream at 210 db when it happens. And blame Trump.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I don't necessarily agree, because a suppressor is going to add a lot of length to a pistol and will greatly reduce the concealability. I can see the use in crimes going up a little bit, but not too too much.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't necessarily agree, because a suppressor is going to add a lot of length to a pistol and will greatly reduce the concealability. I can see the use in crimes going up a little bit, but not too too much.

Wrong-a-roonie! If these thug scum had more access to them as was presented above, these "drive-by" shootings (which happen a lot), would not only be more effective, but they would be more quiet!

Drive-by killings are not as effective now, because the target(s), usually hear one (first) shot and scatter! That shot/scatter reflex is as ingrained in the black community as migration to a goose! :mamoru:

Last edited:

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Wrong-a-roonie! If these thug scum had more access to them as was presented above, these "drive-by" shootings (which happen a lot), would not only be more effective, but they would be more quiet!

Drive-by killings are not as effective now, because the target(s), usually hear one (first) shot and scatter! That shot/scatter reflex is as ingrained in the black community as migration to a goose! :mamoru:

I don't disagree with the drive by aspect. BUT even if they get some cans, the concept of subs and supers will be lost on them. Once they hear an AK with a can running supers they'll just be like "these things suck".

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

I'm gonna disagree also. Specifically to the gangbanger using them. The thugs that do drive-by's prefer the entire hood hear them. It's not about the killing as much as the fear.

Also the average hood rat doing basic low life stuff doesn't want that extra weight, besides they rarely intended on using the guns. They will likely steal and sell them.

The true criminal element who make a living getting away with murder may use more of them but IDK.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom