ATF's Top 10 Frequently Asked Firearms Questions and Answers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    I received this e-mail and link from the ATF this morning:

ATF receives numerous telephone and electronic inquiries on a daily basis. In an effort to provide individuals with the most up-to-date information, ATF has compiled a list of the top 10 most frequently asked questions and provided answers to those questions: Top 10 Frequently Asked Firearms Questions and Answers

http://links.govdelivery.com/track?...irearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Didn't know that about not selling to someone from another state. I see people from many different states at gun shows and I know sales are made in the lot or just outside the gun show, how would you reasonably know what state a person was from ? They could tell you anything.

Guess they'd have to show ID ??

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I don't quite understand the part about transferring to a friend from another state either. So if I buy a used gun from someone in this state and obviously do not know the whole history of the gun. I assume with a bill of sale I am covered? If a cop runs the numbers do they track the origin of the gun also?
    Didn't know that about not selling to someone from another state. I see people from many different states at gun shows and I know sales are made in the lot or just outside the gun show, how would you reasonably know what state a person was from ? They could tell you anything.

Guess they'd have to show ID ??

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    I don't quite understand the part about transferring to a friend from another state either. So if I buy a used gun from someone in this state and obviously do not know the whole history of the gun. I assume with a bill of sale I am covered? If a cop runs the numbers do they track the origin of the gun also?

An LEO couldn't track a smelly fart with a bloodhounds nose lol..

When they run it ,it comes back as stolen or clear I believe.No names,no tracks.

If a gun was used in a murder or something.The ATF has to find what manufacturer
    sold it and to what FFL.Then they go to that FFL and look at his books to determine
    who purchased that firearm.That is what I understood to happen anyway...

As far as the gun show.The way I read the rules,I will post them if anyone wants to
    see it.A person from another state can purchase a long gun but can not purchase a
    pistol unless he or she is 21 and is from same state as gun show being held in.

5. Record Keeping and Identification. No dealer or seller may display any sign or written notice which
    constructively states that any firearms offered for sale are part of a private collection and thus not subject to
    record-keeping, personal identification, and/or background check requirements. Although current law does
    not require such personal Identification, background checks or record keeping by non-licensees, written
    notices as described herein are not allowed. Any non-licensed seller of firearms shall positively determine by
    means of a picture ID issued by a governmental agency the residency and age of a prospective buyer. Sales
    of handguns can only be made to Texas residents 21 years of age or older. Sales of rifles and shotguns can
    only be made to person 18 years of age or older.

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    An LEO couldn't track a smelly fart with a bloodhounds nose lol..

When they run it ,it comes back as stolen or clear I believe.No names,no tracks.

If a gun was used in a murder or something.The ATF has to find what manufacturer
    sold it and to what FFL.Then they go to that FFL and look at his books to determine
    who purchased that firearm.That is what I understood to happen anyway...

As far as the gun show.The way I read the rules,I will post them if anyone wants to
    see it.A person from another state can purchase a long gun but can not purchase a
    pistol unless he or she is 21 and is from same state as gun show being held in.

5. Record Keeping and Identification. No dealer or seller may display any sign or written notice which
    constructively states that any firearms offered for sale are part of a private collection and thus not subject to

record-keeping, personal identification, and/or background check requirements. Although current law does

not require such personal Identification, background checks or record keeping by non-licensees, written

notices as described herein are not allowed.

Any non-licensed seller of firearms shall positively determine by
    means of a picture ID issued by a governmental agency the residency and age of a prospective buyer. Sales
    of handguns can only be made to Texas residents 21 years of age or older. Sales of rifles and shotguns can
    only be made to person 18 years of age or older.

Does that mean my guns are a private collection and I can sell w/o restriction ?

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    this thread should be renamed to: "Ten answers from our government that directly violate your Constitutional right, but it's for your own good."

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    See questions and answers 2 and 3 for unlicensed indivuduals.

From my limited ability of the law it sounds like private collection is not included and unlicensed persons can't sell out of state for any reason.

Not sure but... I sure ain't gonna try to prove my point to the government.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    From my limited ability of the law it sounds like private collection is not included and unlicensed persons can't sell out of state for any reason.

You can sell from your private collection to a person out of state, you just have to ship it to a FFL in their state of residence.

I would assume, and we all know what that does, that if you were in the buyers state with the gun you could go to the FFL and just let him do the transfer. (ie. drive to MS to meet seller that lives in MS at a FFL and have him do the transfer)

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

Are you reading past the first sentence of #2 at all??? The terms "sell" and "transfer" are two completely different things. You can SELL a firearm to someone from out of state, but you have to TRANSFER it to a FFL in the receiving state so they can run a 4473 on the buyer.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Are you reading past the first sentence of #2 at all??? The terms "sell" and "transfer" are two completely different things. You can SELL a firearm to someone from out of state, but you have to TRANSFER it to a FFL in the receiving state so they can run a 4473 on the buyer.

Yea, I'm reading it all...not sure about the wording and definitions, thanks for the short and well worded answer. I'm trying not to eff up so I ask questions.

Top Bottom