ATOM unboxing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • returningliberty

Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Hey guys. So as some of you may have read in earlier threads, I was wanting an ATOM mount for my g34. I had heard a few stories from other sources not connected to L&M Precision Gunworks (the company that did the work licensed by UT), and did a 2+2=5 thing. I made a wrong connection in my head (a fairly regular occurrence) and made wrong, and frankly ignorant and stupid comments about it. In doing so, I inadvertently called into question Unity's decision to use that shop.

Well, here's the Proof:

I sent my slide off Jul 1, received a lead time of roughly "2 weeks", excluding shipping. On Jul 12 my package came in with the finished slide. That was faster than any local gunsmith has kept my various projects. I am impressed.

It was shipped back USPS flat rate, insured, etc etc.

So, like every kid on Christmas, I immediately tore up the box to get at my present, which is why I don't have a picture of it :D

Now, for the quality of the design. These guys are pretty damn clever. You can either mount your optic directly to your slide (preventing the use of any Other optics in the future), or get an ATOM and not be locked in. It's a modular type design allowing you to switch out optics. Looks like this:
    nequtupy.jpg

When attached to the optic:
    y6e5emum.jpg

The adapter fits perfectly behind the new (optional) dovetail for the rear iron sight. If you don't want irons you don't have to get them, but I opted in for the whole thing.

Moving on to the quality of the work done:
    The milling itself looks top notch. I see no inaccuracies, blemishes, mistakes, whatever. The shop did good work, quality control is important and these guys delivered.
    Same with the black cerakote job. It looks great, smooth, and professional.
    eqy7ybyj.jpg

nuquma6e.jpg

Of course, since I'm an early adopter, I had to go for even more innovation and ordered some cocking serrations cut into the slide as well (Not part of the ATOM treatment, but it was there and this is my graduation present to me, so I got it)

Final result looks great (shown in this case with a Dawson magwell, which won't be used with this setup, I just had it on and didn't feel like taking it off yet)

e8u3atyn.jpg

I am going to get out on the range tomorrow and put a couple hundred rounds through it, will provide a range report then.

Bottom line is: it's a great product so far, I made a big mistake by doubting it, and by extension Unity Tactical. It was fast and professionally done, and I should have ordered it months ago. I can't wait to shoot it!

(Oh, and I made a personal deal with VG, cause he's a friend but mostly because He had confidence in the product and was trying to get it through my thick head. If it didn't come in on time and in good quality, he'd pay for my slide, if it did, I'd write a public apology (which I am right now) and do some unspecified range chores in one of his fall classes. I'm Terrified to think of what he's been coming up with as revenge)

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    We, Trent and I, work really hard to pick good partners. Whether it be L&M or one of the trainers AG host. We don't settle and we don't expect our consumers to. I'm glad we had the oppurtunity to prove that to you.

returningliberty

Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Put 200 rds through it this afternoon @ bass Pro.

Range report (no pics, by myself, sorry)

With American eagle and WWB, I was successfully able to zero the DeltaPoint (eventually). It requires a tiny hex head, and there is no click or tactile feeling, just revolutions (so be precise!) I was on target (6" dia circle @ 25y) within about 10, and got it to 4" in about 20 more before I said "good enough". I got some funny looks whipping out my sandbag at bps, but it worked.

I noticed some decent flaring with the DP inside the medium bright range, but it eventually calmed down and lowered the brightness of the dot. It has a tendency to be "too bright" for me unless it's in direct sunlight. I wish it had a manual brightness control.

I had 2 FTE's in 200 rounds, which is leading me to believe maybe the slide itself is a little heavier than it was before (I have no way to test this) OR the quality of the ammo has gotten worse in recent months. I'm going to try some of my IPSC minor loads and see if the gun will still cycle them post-atom. I'm not really concerned about it either way, I'll just make sure to thoroughly test any defensive ammo before carrying it. It may be a little more finicky on ammo now, or it may not, dunno yet.

The gun felt good during firing, the iron sights help me pick up the dot faster (I was using the GIANT front sight to index with, so I wasn't hunting for the dot nearly as much). I have to say if you're new to RDS on pistols, the BIS are a real blessing.

Switching over to the optic is going to take a lot more training. My iphone shot timer would not pick up my second shot indoors, but I noticed my follow up shot Seemed to be a little faster with the addition of the irons. I'm definitely MUCH more precise @ 25 and with the new bis only a "little" slower (a lot slower, but I'm getting better). I'll take that trade since I naturally have a tendency to outshoot my eyes anyway, and this forces me to slow down.

TLDR: the ATOM performs as advertised, and I'm even more glad I got this setup because I'm not 100% sure I'll be keeping the DeltaPoint.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    RL,

The deltapoint is so light, the slide is actually 1oz lighter now. It's quite a bit of steel that is removed for atom.

Glad you like it. Please let us know how it works for you going forward!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom