ATV guys chime in

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    So I've been out of the 4wheeler world for a few years since my Wolverine got stolen (still need to break some legs over that). I've decided to get back into it, and I have to say things are a lot different since I bought my Yamaha Wolverine. Back then automatic was really something you only seen on certain brands and the big bore bikes, and there was no such thing as electronic fuel injection or power steering. I'm not even sure if independent rear suspension was out yet, or at least wasn't very big.

That being said, I'm trying to catch up before my next purchase. I've pretty much narrowed down my search to the Yamaha Big Bear 400 and the Honda Rancher 420 4x4. They are both manual shift (a must), the size range I want, and the price range. The Big Bear is pretty simple, besides the IRS I don't believe its too different from the model that Yamaha was selling back when I got the Wolverine. I like the style of the Rancher and the reliability of Honda ATVs, but they still use the same shitty brakes as they always have and I'm not sure about buying a bike with electronic fuel injection. What are yalls take on that? EFI seems to me like something else to break and have to spend $$ to fix, compared to the carb on the BB.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    So I've been out of the 4wheeler world for a few years since my Wolverine got stolen (still need to break some legs over that). I've decided to get back into it, and I have to say things are a lot different since I bought my Yamaha Wolverine. Back then automatic was really something you only seen on certain brands and the big bore bikes, and there was no such thing as electronic fuel injection or power steering. I'm not even sure if independent rear suspension was out yet, or at least wasn't very big.

That being said, I'm trying to catch up before my next purchase. I've pretty much narrowed down my search to the Yamaha Big Bear 400 and the Honda Rancher 420 4x4. They are both manual shift (a must), the size range I want, and the price range. The Big Bear is pretty simple, besides the IRS I don't believe its too different from the model that Yamaha was selling back when I got the Wolverine. I like the style of the Rancher and the reliability of Honda ATVs, but they still use the same shitty brakes as they always have and I'm not sure about buying a bike with electronic fuel injection. What are yalls take on that? EFI seems to me like something else to break and have to spend $$ to fix, compared to the carb on the BB.

I agree with you about EFI on an ATVs, however, the carburetor systems on most modern ATVs are far more complicated now than they were 20-30 years ago.

I like Hondas and their reliability myself. I've never messed with Yamaha's but they've been around just as long and are of equal quality. You don't really need brakes on an ATV, espicially if you're going with a manual transmission. Just down shift it and as soon as you hit first you're going to come to a stop.

Just my two cents.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I agree with you about EFI on an ATVs, however, the carburetor systems on most modern ATVs are far more complicated now than they were 20-30 years ago.

I like Hondas and their reliability myself. I've never messed with Yamaha's but they've been around just as long and are of equal quality. You don't really need brakes on an ATV, espicially if you're going with a manual transmission. Just down shift it and as soon as you hit first you're going to come to a stop.

Just my two cents.

My Wolverine took an absolute beating. It was terrible lol, but that damn thing was bulletproof. I mentioned the brakes because Yamaha's won't go out nearly as quick as a Honda's, which may not mean anything to some but its still an edge towards Yamaha for me.

I just would like to know the details on the EFI on the Rancher; if anyone has had any problems, etc. Because I can get a Rancher substantially cheaper than a Big Bear

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    My Rancher ES420 has been very good to me over the past three years. My bike before that (FourTrax 300) was bought new in 1990, it still runs like a champ twenty years later. I did have to replace brakes on the 300 at about 15 years.

Edit: I drove my 300 VERY HARD. I became a firm believer in Honda ATVs after that. I drive fast, but pretty much baby my Rancher.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Here's a vid for ya from last time I was out at red creek. There was four 420's, three with solid rear axles, one with IRS and a custom gear reduction. Two of the 420's had 27" Mudlites and the other two had 28" Silverbacks. Then there was three 500's and Ryans 300.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ibJEScEbM[/ame]

My buddy Dustin was on the back of my 500 filming as we went through Alligator Alley.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Don't believe I'll go as big as a 500. Any of your buds have any probs with their EFI? I'd get a Rancher with IRS but its not possible with a manual shift, and I despise ES or automatic. I know what I'm getting with both bikes except how the EFI will hold up long term with the beating I put on 4wheelers.

and did the 420s have any trouble turning the 28s? I like the look of the silverbacks and have never been a fan of mudlites

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The two with the 28's turned them with ease.

This is Jeremy's bike( if you remember Jeremy). Honda Rancher 420 with EFI and IRS. He bought it with the 27" mudlites from brookhaven honda.
    l_f292798699a0401284bdf81f248fb4d9.jpg

Brought it to my shop so I could put the snorkel on ( he wanted it that tall, not my choice ). Then lifted the radiator. The snorkel is zip tied because I built it to be completely taken down and be able to change back to the stock snorkel. In case he had to bring it in for warranty repairs. He also added, IIRC, 2" highlifter lift kit.
    l_6213c5f253e0458b92bf903c438ebac3.jpg

Then we brought it to another friends shop where they took the stock gears out, milled the case down to fit the gears from the solid rear axle 420. When they came out with the gear reduction for the solid rear axles, he bought that and swapped the gears out again. Finally added some 29.5" Outlaws.

l_a8daa40ce6c84f1f96dfb3e3e617d9fd.jpg

It's a nice bike, but he put a lot of work into it and it wasn't cheap. It has nothing but low end power and is built to play in the mud. The electronic shift is annoying, IMO.

Edit - Forgot to mention, when we were testing out the snorkel in the creek, we almost sunk the bike about 10 times. We finally brought it back to the shop and sealed everything up. Brought it back out to the creek and was able to float it down the creek. It's funny seeing an upper torso and a pipe sticking out of the water moving around.

Last edited:

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I bought a new Rancher ES420 4X4 back in 07 and I absolutely love the EFI. I walk up to my bike on a dead cold morning and simply push the button for 1 second and it's running, and ready to go. It is also nice when you are in deep water you can shift with your feet up on the fenders out of the cold water. I have yet to have a malfunction of any kind with the Rancher.

As New;
    Fourtrax_Rancher_4X4_ES_Olive.jpg

How I have it set up now. I love my back rack gear bag and ice chest!
    IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

I prefer to pull out stuck bikes in reverse if possible, hence the rope on the front.:cool:
    IMG_1056.jpg

The new Ranchers are available with power steering, but this bike is light enough to not make that a necessity. It'd be nice, but not necessary.

What I do wish I had that they make now is IRS. The only reason I get stuck is from a lack of ground clearance, even with the 26" MudLites. I don't know if I would want to bog the motor down with any tire size larger. My Rancher with the factory 24" tires would scream, and it handles tight trails most excellently, but where I ride most, I need the mud tires. They already slow the bike some, and make turning more difficult especially in 4WD.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    from what I have heard/read, the EFI 420 is very close to a foreman 500 powerwise. Also, IIRC, the EFI engines are Liquid cooled, compared to the air cooled 500. The 420's seem to be damn near bulletproof, as lots of guys beat on them HARD at RCOR, and the other parks I have been to.

I had a Wolverine 350, and it was a huge POS.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I would not worry about the reliability of the fuel injection in the 420s. I can't remember the last time I heard about a problem with them. The 420 Rancher is looked at by some at the 'new 300'. Very reliable 'little' bikes.

I bought my '08 Rancher from G and C Honda in Hammond in August of '08. Here she is as of last week:

IMG_2142.jpg

bayouteche85

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Breaux Bridge
    6 of one, half a dozen of the other, here.

Both are excellent bikes. Don't sweat the carburetor/EFI issue. Get the bike you like that rides how you want.

In my family those are the two manufacturers we stick to and swear by. Both have served us well.

Also, give the Grizzly 450 a chance as well. It's comparably priced to the two you're looking at with just a little more power in tight spots. Test drive them all, see what feels right and Happy Riding, Brother!

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Last December I bought two 420's. One with power steering and one without. Mine is the camo manual shift 4x4 w/ power steering and EFI. We ride all year long from hunting to trails, mud, whatever. We are not easy on these bikes. I am absolutely 100% more than satisfied with my power steering and the EFI. The EFI sure makes a big difference in throttle response and starting ease. As far as the power steering, I don't know if I could have another one without it. Really makes a big difference in the ease of steering even when in 4x4.
    102_0710.jpg

102_0638.jpg

Last edited:

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    EFI is really nice to have if you want to mod the bike with air intake/exhaust or other mods. I have my carb apart more times then I can count on my bike is such a pain the ass trying to jet this thing. With efi you can just plug in the controller and adjust on the fly. The big bear has way more low end then the 420 though which really shines if you put big tires on it. No need to worry about gear reduction the big bear you have it stock.

to the person above be careful with pulling in reverse the honda trannys werent made for that nor most others and you will screw up your transmission if you put it in a bind in reverse. The belt bikes will just slip/burn a belt which is nothing to replace but the honda cost a pretty penny to replace/rebuild that tranny. Ive seen it happen way to many times at red creek.

Im a yammy guys so I vote big bear:
    IMG_0463.jpg

Last edited:

RCRAMIE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I won't speak on the Yama I don't know enough about that model.

Rancher 420. Best bike Honda built in a while. Same power as foreman better sealed motor and EFI. That EFI has been in use by Honda for a while. The only problems we see with it is customers don't let the bike warm up enough and do a lot of stop and go killing it and starting it. That causes foul plugs after a while solution let the bike warm up. Fuel filter gets clogged due to using old gas use fresh gas and if you can gas can with a screen on the spout. Carbs are going out get use to EFI.

Brakes disc on front great rear still drum. PS is great don't skip it. $600 rebate on 4x4 Man and ES $300 on auto. The Rancher is great no problems with the bike.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Nice looking grizzly man. You go to Tower Trax much? We made a ride earlier this year there and had a good time. Just too far to go often. Hopeing to get back there after hunting season.

EFI is really nice to have if you want to mod the bike with air intake/exhaust or other mods. I have my carb apart more times then I can count on my bike is such a pain the ass trying to jet this thing. With efi you can just plug in the controller and adjust on the fly. The big bear has way more low end then the 420 though which really shines if you put big tires on it. No need to worry about gear reduction the big bear you have it stock.

to the person above be careful with pulling in reverse the honda trannys werent made for that nor most others and you will screw up your transmission if you put it in a bind in reverse. The belt bikes will just slip/burn a belt which is nothing to replace but the honda cost a pretty penny to replace/rebuild that tranny. Ive seen it happen way to many times at red creek.

Im a yammy guys so I vote big bear:
    IMG_0463.jpg

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I have a 2008 Rancher 420, manual shift (TRX420FM)

I love the fuel injection, very responsive and quick start ups from cold.

The front brakes are disk, not like the old drum brakes they used to have, the rear brake on the SRA is still the same drum style they've always had.

I was leery at first, but now if I had to do it all over again I would get the same Rancher. The Big Bear was also in my considerations, but really in comparison the Rancher is a much "nicer" bike and adds the fuel injection reliability.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

FWIW, I've had a Honda 450 Foreman since Feb., 2000, and aside from replacing tires, changing the oil, battery (twice, now), and air filter, I've NEVER had any problems with it- and it's still going strong. I use it just about every weekend.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Nice looking grizzly man. You go to Tower Trax much? We made a ride earlier this year there and had a good time. Just too far to go often. Hopeing to get back there after hunting season.

Thanks, nope never been to tower trax. I have probably been asked to go by at least five different people but I was always busy. I havent had much time to ride lately with college and work.

Top Bottom