auction problem - how to handle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    hello;

bought a 9mm auto off an auction. seller said the pistol was in 98% condition.

got the pistol and it is in really really bad shape. example, the barrel is so fowled it's black.

seller will not answer e-mails or telephone calls. paid with credit card and per credit card people if there is a problem file a dispute claim on seller.

any other suggestions. there is a 3 day inspection period and in the second day.

thanks for any input.

rp

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    If the seller misrepresented the item you may have some recourse. I looked into this just recently, and the info I gathered was that you are basically on your own if the seller does not accept the item back in other words "as is no refunds".

If you can I would stop payment, or dispute the charge.

ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    dispute the charge. You cc company will do a charge-back. He'll respond once they take the money from him.

Also keep all your emails to him as proof that you've been trying to contact him. Did you get it through gunbroker?

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    dispute the charge. You cc company will do a charge-back. He'll respond once they take the money from him.

Also keep all your emails to him as proof that you've been trying to contact him. Did you get it through gunbroker?

I'd check into the auction site's rules, but this is how I'd handle it.

In reality, you probably shouldn't have done the FFL Transfer before you inspected it.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Read over the auction terms and conditions as well as the sellers terms on his auction page.

Many say that you can return it any time UNLESS you accept the transfer. Once you take possession it's yours.

I deal with auctions all the time (selling and buying) and have learned that you have to read every little small print on each auction as they are all different.

One thing to remember about doing a charge back though, the seller may get the ATF or local PD involved and report it as a "stolen gun". You may be 100% in the right and be able to clear it up but their involvement is not always a welcomed addition to the party. I've seen it happen, so just food for thought.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    If you can't reach the seller and go the chargeback route, you should probably ship it back then do the chargeback.
    Make sure to get the tracking number and print out the tracking results showing that it was returned.

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    3 day inspection, in 2d day, no answer to phone calls or e-mail, several of each. got item off gunbroker.

folks, i been buying and sell guns for 40+ years. alway felt "gun/hunting/fishing people" were the most honest to deal with anywhere. never had this happen to me before.

if no contact by the end of their bus. day, will dispute the fee paid to seller.

thanks for input

petelanca

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Grand Lake 70607
    3 day inspection, in 2d day, no answer to phone calls or e-mail, several of each. got item off gunbroker.

folks, i been buying and sell guns for 40+ years. alway felt "gun/hunting/fishing people" were the most honest to deal with anywhere. never had this happen to me before.

if no contact by the end of their bus. day, will dispute the fee paid to seller.

thanks for input

Was the seller a FFL?

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge

thanks for input

If you are within the inspection period, then return it. Send a letter with it saying that you inspected it and it did not meet your satisfaction, and describe how the description varied from the actual item. Mention that you called and emailed several times with no response, so you are simply returning the item.

You will want to have that paper trail if and when you put the charge in dispute. Don't just hold it and dispute the charge-he will respond that you had a 3 day inspection period, and you may have trouble, having to argue that you couldn't get him.

skyblue

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    mandeville
    contact the seller using auction site messaging. This will establish a record through the auction site. Look at sellers history report. If a long time seller and has few or no complaints then tell him you wish to return since he probably made a mistake about the condition of the weapon. If you jump the gun and file a complaint without tying to work with him you wil get no where. Your goal is to get himto accept a return not shout how big a bum he is. I have had this happen and by referencing his andf my history was able to come to an amicable solution. If he has a bad or no record he is probably bad news and you may not get anywhere. Still being low key and telling him you want to work with him is still your best shot. Once you have established that you are acting responsible and in a professional manner you will have any third party involved on your side. Just the facts and diplomacy. Remember you have very little leverage. Always check the history on sellers. Try to only do business with long history people in the future. Good Luck.

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    update. resolved - sort-a. they are taking the pistol back, returning all money for purchase. the catch, i have to pay shipping back through the ffl dealer, $40. could have keep the pistol, but i just not sell it for what i had in because of issues with pistol.
    so it's just bite the bullet and send it back. AFTER i get my money back then we will post a feed back on sell.

thanks for input.

rp

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    update. resolved - sort-a. they are taking the pistol back, returning all money for purchase. the catch, i have to pay shipping back through the ffl dealer, $40. could have keep the pistol, but i just not sell it for what i had in because of issues with pistol.
    so it's just bite the bullet and send it back. AFTER i get my money back then we will post a feed back on sell.

thanks for input.

rp

Light them up for that. Don't give them some soft feedback because they decided to let you return it (on your dime!). Who was it specifically?

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    That's pretty common actually. If they give you a full refund then they eat the shipping to you and you eat it back. Not saying its right but pretty common on auctions.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Probably have to eat the shipping both ways. Most auctions charge the shipping fees for it to be shipped to your FFL and state you can get a refund of price less shipping and you have to have it shipped back to them.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    were there pictures in the auction? when u got it, did it look like the pictures? If not, I'd dispute 100% of the charges. I wouldn't want to be out anything if what I got wasn't as represented. I think the CC company will be on your side. I would dispute the charge and have the CC company pull the payment back and I'd ensure the amount was credited back to my account before I returned the gun, then see if his tune changes. he'll probably gladly send you a pre-paid mailing label then.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom