Austin police officer killed on duty

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods

The associates displayed courage under these extreme circumstances," Gee said. She declined to provide more details about the shooting, referring questions to the police.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/0...lmart-in-texas/?test=latestnews#ixzz1rIoaqwPu

Dam...thats especially sad at holiday time

From San Angelo moved to Austin to better himself, did all the right things...making a life for the family, dammit

no ID on the shooter, and ask me if I'm suspicious

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    It's things like this that make me more and more reluctant to ever leave my apartment aside from work, the gym, and to buy food. Really sad.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Lots of cops I know that are cops for the right reason didn't do it for the $50K a year or whatever, that's for sure.

Some times it just doesn't seem fair that occupations that society needs the most to survive (police, military, GOOD teachers), are at the lower end of the pay scale.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Some times it just doesn't seem fair that occupations that society needs the most to survive (police, military, GOOD teachers), are at the lower end of the pay scale.

It's barrier to entry. A teaching degree pays around $40K with great benefits where I live. It's not that hard to get, either. LE where I live make $25-35 an hour. It's also not that difficult to become a cop. The military payed my roommate $38K a year, IIRC. He didn't have but a few months of boot-camp and a highschool diploma.

Pay is not based on personal risk or job difficulty. It's based on how hard it is to find a person qualified to do the job, and how hard it is to become qualified for the job.

Surgeons are another great example. People whine about their income, but good luck having Bubba give you a 5 vessel CABG in his work-shed. Takes years upon years to become a cardiovascular surgeon, not to mention hundreds of thousands of dollars of school.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    It's barrier to entry. A teaching degree pays around $40K with great benefits where I live. It's not that hard to get, either. LE where I live make $25-35 an hour. It's also not that difficult to become a cop.

Where do you live and what department pays $25-$35 an hour? My detail rate is in that ballpark, but my hourly rate is not that high. I also work for a department that pays very well compared to other agencies in the area.

JR1572

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Where do you live and what department pays $25-$35 an hour? My detail rate is in that ballpark, but my hourly rate is not that high. I also work for a department that pays very well compared to other agencies in the area.

JR1572

Caddo parish. Sheriff's are at $25/hr, and LSP starts at $35, based on what other LE have told me.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Caddo parish. Sheriff's are at $25/hr, and LSP starts at $35, based on what other LE have told me.

That's their detail rate, not their hourly salary. I went to their websites and their yearly salary is less than mine. Due to mathematics, if their yearly salary is less than mine, their hourly rate is less than mine.

JR1572

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    That's their detail rate, not their hourly salary. I went to their websites and their yearly salary is less than mine. Due to mathematics, if their yearly salary is less than mine, their hourly rate is less than mine.

JR1572

I don't know the ins and outs of it, just what an officer told me once.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom