autism and law enforcement

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    If not, there should be. I would say at least half of all officers should be enlightened to autism.
    I have 2 grandsons that are autistic; even knowing them from day 1, I have issues understanding them.
    People who don't know can think they are just out of control kids and need a butt whipping.
    As they get older there will be more changes in their life.
    Officers already have a lot on their plate but additional training for mental health type diseases would make sense.

hctiger2002mv

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Jefferson, La
    As a LEO I can tell you for a fact that Yes there are programs like this and others for mental health crisis intervention. We also are trained how to identify the difference between drug use symptoms, medical symptoms (diabetes compared to alcohol use and seizures compared to drug use and others). What is hard for people to understand is that LEO's usually have to know more about not only laws but about all aspects of people they will encounter. I have personally had to educate a medical staff member the difference between a person in mental crisis and a person that had autism that didn't like the way the lady was trying to make physical contact with him. I challenge anyone to go from handling a situation with domestic abuse then handle a crash then move on to a person complaining about a barking dog and finally deal with a person going through a major mental crisis. This is very hard for people to do by going from major highs to major lows and all the while having to make sure you are being polite, respectful and aware of your surroundings for potential threats. The other thing people forget is that we are people too. We have good days, bad days and personal issues that we are dealing with while dealing with others issues.

For the LEO'S out there stay safe and watch each others sixes.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks hctiger.

I have a daughter that is mentally impaired (not autistic but on that spectrum). I'm around lots of other kids with varying disabilities. I can easily see one of these kids having a behavior issue during a traffic stop, etc. and ending up being either handcuffed or tazered, which would only escalate the situation (not to mention the reaction of the parents! parents of special needs kids tend to be extremely overprotective! using an asp on my kid would not be a good thing!)... I am well aware of the challenges of being a police officer and handling kids with disabilities takes a special and patient touch, which is not something most officers have time for. You have other calls waiting, I get that. Plus how the kids are going to react varies from disability to disability, plus from kid to kid.

Looking at this from the officer's point of view this training is essential. Mistaking one of these kids for an OD, etc. would be horrible. Its also a PR nightmare for the department. Attorneys will be lining up to take an excessive force case on an autistic kid that wouldn't comply (duh!).

You have a lot on your plate, I get that. What i don't see is a lot of interaction with the special needs schools (NOFD is very supportive, btw) or organizations. Classroom training is great, but what officers really need is exposure to some of these kids and especially teens. You need to see the behavior issues in a controlled setting to appreciate what it will be like during a traffic stop or domestic visit.

goldshellback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2015
    Ascension Parrish
    My youngest is autistic so programs like this make it wonderfully personal for me. I'm fortunate in that a handful of good friends and a neighbor are police/deputies so my son has no 'fear' of law enforcement like that. Training like this, although not 'common', is one more 'thing' officers (and really all first responders) have to take into account while 10-8. What they all do, and the decisions they have to make, on a daily basis.......... they don't get enough credit or pay for it all.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    my son has TBI and if you don't know him some time you would think he was drunk because he has a hard time putting a hole sentence together at one time. it not a sturding thing he just cant get the words to flow right.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    ...what? This isn't ADHD, this is something else entirely. Sounds like the assumptions of one who has had nearly zero contact with truly mentally impaired people.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    ...what? This isn't ADHD, this is something else entirely. Sounds like the assumptions of one who has had nearly zero contact with truly mentally impaired people.

I have had contact with three of my children who were all diagnosed the same. Diet, care, understanding and discipline have paved the way to success for us as well as many other people who take the time to really understand the underlying problem....

If you want to talk of my interactions with the 103m's out there as a cop, well I handled the situation as best as I could without endangering myself or the subject. Officer safety however still took precedence. If a family member could handle the situation I usually observed and let them. If not, I did what I had to do. 3rd floor charity for observation? I have taken many many subjects there while a street cop....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom