auto insurance question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    Why is it that auto liability insurance be accessed to a DL and not the car. I can see collision being on a car but I think the liability insurance should be on the driver. I have 4 autos and can only drive one at a time. you have to show prof of insurance to get your DL so why not just have the liability put with the DL.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Now you're trying to bring common sense into legislation.

Expensive in efficiencies broughy to you by the same people who now are in control of your health care.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Lets see if I can help... your question is a bit unclear, but:

In LA you insure the car. The drivers are a rating factor (two people buy a mustang, one is a 21 yr old male with multipe tickets, the other is 50 female and has a good driving record, therefore vastly different rates). The rating factor influences the liability but also the collision and comprehensive.
    As far as one driver for 4 vehicles... weather claims often impact all of the vehicles, driven or not. They also have an equal chance of being hit while parked. But this is offset somewhat by the mileage factors. Since you can only drive one car at a time the short mileage discount should alleviate some of the cost. See if your insurance company offers a GPS tracker to give them a realistic driving picture.
    Also, we often have people that report 4 cars and one driver but don't mention the 3 kids they have. Its fraud but it happens a lot.

Go visit with your agent (you are with a company that has an agent looking out for you, right? Not just a web page and an 800 number?) and see what discounts you're missing.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    Lets see if I can help... your question is a bit unclear, but:

In LA you insure the car. The drivers are a rating factor (two people buy a mustang, one is a 21 yr old male with multipe tickets, the other is 50 female and has a good driving record, therefore vastly different rates). The rating factor influences the liability but also the collision and comprehensive.
    As far as one driver for 4 vehicles... weather claims often impact all of the vehicles, driven or not. They also have an equal chance of being hit while parked. But this is offset somewhat by the mileage factors. Since you can only drive one car at a time the short mileage discount should alleviate some of the cost. See if your insurance company offers a GPS tracker to give them a realistic driving picture.
    Also, we often have people that report 4 cars and one driver but don't mention the 3 kids they have. Its fraud but it happens a lot.

Go visit with your agent (you are with a company that has an agent looking out for you, right? Not just a web page and an 800 number?) and see what discounts you're missing.
    I understand how it works now, I just think liability insurance should be on the driver not the auto. yes I have a son that is in and out of the house so he is on all 3 autos
    along with the wife. no one but me drives my jeep because that is just the way it is. but they are still on it. one is without a tag or insurance but we are working on getting it back together and needs to be test driven sometimes but we don't want insurance on it yet, we are still 3 years out getting it back on the road. this is when it would be nice to have the liability on the driver not the auto. the equal chance of being hit is ok that is where other insurance comes in but liability is not. yes I am with State Farm and they do good in getting me all the discounts and all. did the GPS tracker thing didn't get the discount up to offset the cost.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I think liability is on the car because the car is the one causing the damage that has to be covered. Also you could put only liability on a car and not carry comprehensive on it at all and then it would still be covered. Because the liability coverage is linked to the car does this mean that if a buddy took the car out and ran into someone's house and destroyed it would liability then cover the damage as the car did the damage and it had coverage or does the insured driver have to be in the car?

This raises another point of getting personal liability coverage would this cover you in case you were in a car and caused damage to property and did not have liability on the car?

You do know that insurance company people help write the laws to make sure that in all ways the benefit the insurance companies........

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    depends on your insurance I think my insurance I have on my 3 auto also covers me if I am driving someone else is car. if you just have liability insurance on your auto and someone else drives it and hits something it will cover the what ever he hit but not your auto. another reason to have liability insurance on the driver not the auto. and comprehensive on the auto. incase someone hit you with out insurance.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    So you would like a licensed driver to pay for insurance when they do not own a car ? Or do you now need insurance weather you have a car or not ?

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    So you would like a licensed driver to pay for insurance when they do not own a car ? Or do you now need insurance weather you have a car or not ?

I knew a guy who went to UT late 90's, and sold his car and only had a bicycle, kept a DL, 3 years later, he bought a car and went to insure it, and his quote was considerably higher than his previous insurance on a comparable vehicle 3 years prior. The explanation given by his insurance company was he had not had insurance for the past 3 years. He mentioned that he had no car, so why would he have to have had insurance? The agent told him there is an insurance for drivers with no car, and he had decided not to get it, so they were penalizing him for a lapse in insurance.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Insurance sucks, period.
    I have been with USAA for 25+ years, they have done me right!
    Quote all company's, and remember if any family member had been in the MILITARY CALL USAA!!!!!

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    So if you have multiple vehicles, why not just charge you for the higher rate vehicle? If anything happens to either, the cost would be covered, especially if you're not carrying comprehensive. Of course, rates would just increase to even it out.

And being penalized for not having insurance is just stupid. Sounds like a ******** way to make up for the money they weren't making off of you while you tried to be frugal.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA

That happens occasionally. People that have had a DUI or a serious at fault accident without insurance will sometimes have to file an SR-22 form with the state. If they don't have a car they buy 'non-owned' insurance just for that.

USAA annoys me. They're a private company marketing to strictly to military and veterans. Its a marketing ploy using patriotism as a tool. I can't say anything bad in particular about them, but the way they market their product it comes across as if they have a actual connection to the military. I don't like it.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Lets pass a law that requires all drivers/cars to be insured, it will lower our insurance rates in the state they said. Bullcrap! I haven't seen rates go down since they passed that law. Insurance companies pays the state for access to our drivers records, under the guise that they would help lower rates, that crap too. The insurance companies are all pretty much close to each other and your drivers record helps determine it. Here's an example of why I don't like insurance companies accessing our records. A general speeding ticket written by the state police or in one of my neighboring parishes for 15 mph over the limit (70 in a 55) is about $160, but in New Orleans they write the ticket as a careless operation which is $500 plus fees. When the insurance company runs your record, the speeding tickets isn't given as much weight as a careless operation ticket. So they double your rate if you have a careless operation ticket and there is nothing you can do about it. I think its criminal for N.O. to do this and good luck with trying to get it changed after you done paid it. That is why I will contest every ticket from now on. All though I haven't had an accident I will be paying a higher premium for 3 years till the ticket comes off the record. They were supposed to tow away uninsured vehicles when stopped, but they stopped that after someone said it discriminates against the poor who have to go to work, or a woman with kids in the car gets a pass although she is still driving uninsured. This is what chaps my a$$, if the state is going to require us to have insurance then there should be no leeway for those driving uninsured period. State wide the uninsured rate is 12-15 % but I guarantee you in the city of New Orleans its much higher. Just like banks use FICA scores, the insurance companies have a similar program because we the voters let them get away with it by not holding our representatives accountable for bad legislation. Just look at the traffic camera debacle, and the proposed license plate readers a private company tried to get passed through the legislature until someone made a big stink about it. Follow the money.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    One minor ticket has very little impact on your rates (major violations such as reckless or DUI is a different story). Multiple tickets show a higher propensity for having an accident. OTOH, your claims history (which is not on your MVR any more) is a much bigger issue. Most companies run a CLUE report which shows every time you have had a claim (comprehensive, collision, or liability) filed, or even reported. The amount of activity, even if its not your fault, is a factor. That I don't like. Don't get me wrong- we don't surcharge for not at fault claims but almost every company has a score factor now (claims history, credit, etc.) that comes into play.

The thing that drives rates is claims payouts. Where does the money go? To attorneys. If you touch someone's bumper in LA we pay out an avery of $8K in injuries. People get more hurt for the same amount of damage in the same cars in LA than anywhere else in the country. People in LA are not more fragile! We have to break the attorney/doctor relationship. It needs to be a felony for an attorney to refer to a particular doctor! This is where the problem starts.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I don't understand insurance. Cheapest vehicle I ever insured was a corvette, it was half the price of a ford ranger and Honda Civic I had at the same time. I have 4 vehicles insured, 2 full coverage, 2 liability only. Impossible to drive more than 2 at a time, yet I pay for them all.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Insurance sucks, period.
    I have been with USAA for 25+ years, they have done me right!
    Quote all company's, and remember if any family member had been in the MILITARY CALL USAA!!!!!

My wife served and State Farm gives us much better rates then USAA quoted us.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I feel the car/license plate should carry the insurance. At some point a son, daughter, nephew, niece, grandchild etc etc that doesn't have ins is gonna drive that car and what happens when they hit someone who pays? It sucks because i don't let "anyone" drive my vehicles and we have multiple vehicles but I accept that it's just one of those "good gotta suffer for the bad".

Then what do you do about company vehicles and the guy that rides a bike/bus to work?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom