Auto insurance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    I had Liberty Mutual. Was $2300 a year for my 2011 Silverado. Adding the wife and her 2013 brought it to $3800. And this is with the homeowners insurance at Liberty as well. Said screw that.

Called Geico and got better coverage for $1800 a year for both my truck and wife's car. I'm in the process of switching homeowners too.

If State Farm would write my damn homeowners, I would have switched all to them.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Comments from an agent:

Just about everyone here is commenting on their premium. You know what? when clients come in about a claim not one complains about rates! Its about coverage and claims service. Period.
    Premium is determined by literally hundreds of factors. Age, driving habits, location, credit, claims history, vehicles (to a much lesser extent than you suspect), etc.
    The rates are set and approved and locked in by the state. Your agent cannot change your rates. He can report that you drive less (or more) than you do but that's about all he can really do to affect your premium. Different companies have different rates for different situations. Geico might be cheaper for low credit 30 year old males while progressive might be cheaper for medium credit 30 year old males. You can bounce from company to company every six months looking to see who has the best rate for your situation, but that's a lot of work. Also, by doing that you aren't building a relationship with either the agent or the company. Why is that important if the rates are set? Wait until your 16 year old has a few claims... Or you're in your 70's and have two accidents back to back. Who will drop you? Who will keep you insured? Who is going to argue with an adjuster on your behalf when a claim isn't going your way? Those are the things that matter, not saving a few bucks on premium...

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't have access to USAA. I called progressive and got quote 859/6months from a human. And online quote from Geico for 1200/6 months. I'll call and talk to Liberty Mutual tomorrow.

I think I might call Geico and speak with someone for an accurate quote.

I may just go with Progressive since everything I heard about them so far is positive.

I've gotten into ~ 4-5 accidents (not all my fault) with progressive. Each time, I dropped off my car to the facility on Airline, or dropped it off to the shop of my choice. They either had enterprise at the facility or sent them to pick me up. Life time warranty on all work so long as you own the car. And I pay ~800-900/car. (I have an escalade and 2014 RDX). Also if you pay 6 months at a time, they take off like 200 bucks off your premium. So that's savings there. Never a problem.

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    Man, and I thought rates were bad when I moved here. I was paying about $312 every six months in Alabama with Geico with comprehensive coverage, the works, rental, no deductable, everything. Here, it doubled but I see that is still a good rate for my '08 Equinox. 28, unmarried, good credit, no wrecks or tickets to speak of.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Progressive sucks ass.

They are BAD with paperwork.
    I canceled and they issued me a refund.

THEN they sent it to collections fortunately it was through USAA, and when I gave up on getting ANY help from the idiots at Progressive I called USAA, they fixed it easily.

Kept getting collections calls fr a while though (I would say.... I was issued a refund! Check with progressive idiots)
    Then it would be sold to the NEXT collection company....

Epi5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    Houma, LA
    This is Louisiana, where the worst drivers i have ever encountered are.

No such thing as low cost insurance here :p

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Progressive's service was always top notch for me. The only reason I left them was to go to USAA. When I was nearly killed by a drunk in fayetteville, NC the GI that hit me had Progressive. His insurance agent called me and we had this conversation:

"Good evening Mr. Wabbit, I'm SoandSo with Progressive."

"ugh. hi."

"How are you feeling?"

"concussion, broken collar, swollen face, dislocated shoulder. I just got home from the hospital 2 hours ago, I don't have anything else to say."

"Mr. Wabbit I'm not calling to ask for any statements, I cannot take them in your current condition. I just wanted to make contact and wish you a speedy recovery. My name/number/etc. Get well."

I hung up very impressed. It was a stark comparison to Geico (who I had at the time) that kept demanding my immediate statement and for me to go to their office lest I risk not being represented. I ended up telling him that if he came to my door again he'd leave looking like me. My attorney handled the whole thing obviously, but still... Progressive's service is bar none and I'd rather have 3 diseases that I can't spell correctly than Geico coverage ever again.

For whatever its worth, USAA is the best bargain if you combine mortgage, investments, vehicles, etc, etc. I found that 1:1 it was generally just a competitive rate, but when I started stacking it up it saved me a boat load.

edit: just saw the rest of the thread. you guys pay a freaking ton in car insurance. I pay less for 3 vehicles than some of these guys claim with 1.

Last edited:

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Ditto for USAA...

I've been a USAA member for over 40 yrs -- auto, home, life, and recently added motorcycle thru Progressive; plus IRAs and a mutual fund for grandson. Never had a serious complaint, never been able to beat the premium for equivalent coverage.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've been a USAA member for over 40 yrs -- auto, home, life, and recently added motorcycle thru Progressive; plus IRAs and a mutual fund for grandson. Never had a serious complaint, never been able to beat the premium for equivalent coverage.

This mirrors my experience. When its ALL with USAA, the rates are so laughably low that no one can even touch them.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Progressive called my wife this morning to see how she was feeling. She said her neck was a little sore, so the lady offered to arrange an appointment with a chiropractor of her choice, and said they'll have him bill the insurance directly.

I wouldn't give up this kind of service just to save a couple hundred bucks a year.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Progressive called my wife this morning to see how she was feeling. She said her neck was a little sore, so the lady offered to arrange an appointment with a chiropractor of her choice, and said they'll have him bill the insurance directly.

I wouldn't give up this kind of service just to save a couple hundred bucks a year.

It's the only company that built its reputation on service, and it shows. Hope the wife gets better quick. Fill up her netflix que and get some flowers asap ;)

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I dropped USAA. Had a wreck a couple of years ago where I was in the center dividing lane waiting on a car to pass so I could merge into traffic. Just as I was beginning to merge, an idiot flew out of a parking lot and ran into me head-on. He was actually coming out of the parking lot so fast that he drove under my Jeep to the point that my bumper was only inches from his windshield. USAA allowed it to go to arbitration and the arbitrator claimed that I was 70% responsible. Totally pissed me off so I dropped them and went with State Farm.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I'm happy with Geico for vehicle and motorcycle. There is a horror story for every company but no one ever reads the fine print to see what exactly they are covered for. I made sure I was covered for everything. In fact I literally asked "If an alien space craft crash lands on my truck while on private property in a hail storm while I'm out of the country am I covered?" ...Yes Sir you are.

I've had someone clip a truck while it was in a store parking lot. No problems, they could not have handled it better.

Flat tire on bike, called road side assistance. "No problem, we will have a tow truck with motorcycle specific gear there in 30 minutes or less." Perfect, couldn't have gone any better.

Top Bottom