Auto Opening Knifes ????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Some people don't understand that most "Auto" or "Switchblade" knives' blades are OTF ( Out The Front ).

Such as this Microtech:
    mt1211.jpg

However, there are some other auto's such as this Gerber where the blade opens like a normal folder:
    1397.jpg

In my opinion, leave the auto's for people that can legally own them. Even if I could legally own one, I have it as a collectors item rather than something to use. Some of my folders I can flip open just as fast as an auto knife. AO knives are just as fast as well.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have a few push button openers, but dont carry them any more. Even found a small one that has 2 auto blades (one on each end) in my jeep.
    My favorite would be this:
    http://www.knivesplus.com/boker-ak-74-knife-bk-kals74b.html
    Is opens so fast that it will jump out of your hand if you arent holding it good when you push the button.
    The gerber shown above is sold locally, maybe walmart or bass pro.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Also: the spring on most OTF knives really isn't that strong. Mine will push the blade through a single piece of paper most of the time, but it may not lock the blade out. Fold the paper and it probably won't go through and it definitely won't lock out.

Last edited:

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    I am not even that big on knives, I have a few but don't collect them, but this thread is really tempting me to buy an AO knife. I think the iconic one to get would be the italian stiletto. I also saw a s&w swat AO knife which would go perfectly with the regular swat knife I've been carrying for over 10 years.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I try to stay away from the cheaper generic knives ( gerber, S&W, SOG, etc.. ). I do own an AO kershaw and a cheap Boker fixed blade. The next knife I will end up buying is another Ken Onion designed knife or an ESEE fixed blade.

I was tempted to buy this :
    2011.jpg

Until I thought, what would a cop say if he found this on me. I know it's legal to carry but it's not exactly normal.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    In February I got a Microtech UTX-70 OTF that is my dress/light use knife and it is flawless and silly fun to play with.

Dear lord, I don't know model numbers, but the Microtech OTF auto I had was so ridiculously expensive, I couldn't bring my self to carry it more than once and only in the nylon pouch. I do have to admit though that the sound made when it opens should alone be enough to make any sane person put his hands up and back away. :D It was also insanely sharp like a straight razor.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    So have any of the LEO on the board ever arrested/ticketed someone for any kind of knife? If they have or have not what would the charge probably be? Ticket? Arrest?

CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    Did LA laws concerning possession of auto knives recently change? I bought many autos from Alpine Clock on Veterans a couple years ago when I was in my "knife collector" phase.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    The law hasn't changed. R.S. 14:95 still prohibits switchblades. However, the law doesn't seem to be enforced, and there is only one case on it, and that's only in passing mention.

This is really a stupid law. We can get upset about things like "assault weapons bans," but really this is a lot more ridiculous. The "assault weapon" features make the guns more dangerous relative to other guns than the auto-open feature makes knives.

The only advantage it gives is in self-defense. If someone is going to do a crime, they are going to be the attacker, which means they have all the time they want to open the knife.

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    The law hasn't changed. R.S. 14:95 still prohibits switchblades. However, the law doesn't seem to be enforced, and there is only one case on it, and that's only in passing mention.

This is really a stupid law. We can get upset about things like "assault weapons bans," but really this is a lot more ridiculous. The "assault weapon" features make the guns more dangerous relative to other guns than the auto-open feature makes knives.

I had a case recently where my client was charged with having a switchblade under this law because he had a knife rigged to open up as he pulled it out of some kind of belt-buckle contrivance.

I was prepared to argue the case on that, but it was a misdemeanor charge. He was legitimately charged with some felonies that we ended up pleading to, so I didn't really get the chance.

So, it is possible to get charged and face some major inconvenience and court costs, even though the charge should get kicked out in the end. But, that's true for so many things.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I had a case recently where my client was charged with having a switchblade under this law because he had a knife rigged to open up as he pulled it out of some kind of belt-buckle contrivance.

In case anyone was wondering if you represent mall ninjas. That's too funny. Relevant post though. Thanks for sharing an actual situation.

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    Hehe... well, he wasn't "mall ninja" as much as "greasy biker." His main weapon was a piece of rope with a huge steel nut on the end of it. ..but those weren't his main problem. I'd say that was probably his giving the cops some lip while carrying meth in his pocket.

I love criminal law... it's the criminals I get tired of.

Top Bottom