Automatic Knives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Easiest way to support something like knife rights is to join so they can talk to legislators from the perspective of "we represent x number of Louisiana citizens as members." Once they get something in process, and that might be a while, they'll advertise it on their site and advise of when to bug reps and/or the governor.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Several of my friends carry fixed blades and opening is never an issue.

This. I almost always have a small fixed blade on my belt. It’s a utility knife, but can’t argue with its lack of finickiness to open....

That said, there are some auto’s that I wouldn’t mind adding to my collection. Limiting them is stupid.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I remember buying a micro tech HALO from a member on here years ago. That knife is kind of the best of both worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just find in amusing that BRPS won't sell autos to us civilians. Meanwhile, Jim's or any Gun Show has no issues with it.

Really? You find it amusing that a store that invites and somewhat caters to police won't sell you an item that you are not legally allowed to own?

From LA R.S. 14:95:
    (4)(a) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance located on the handle.
    (b) The provisions of this Paragraph shall not apply to the following:
    (i) Any knife that may be opened with one hand by manual pressure applied to the blade or any projection of the blade.
    (ii) Any knife that may be opened by means of inertia produced by the hand, wrist, or other movement, provided the knife has either a detent or other structure that provides resistance that shall be overcome in opening or initiating the opening movement of the blade or a bias or spring load toward the closed position.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Really? You find it amusing that a store that invites and somewhat caters to police won't sell you an item that you are not legally allowed to own?

From LA R.S. 14:95:

That statute applies to what's being carried on one's person, not ownership. Auto knives are legal to own in LA, you just can't carry it on your person if you are not a first responder.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That statute applies to what's being carried on one's person, not ownership. Auto knives are legal to own in LA, you just can't carry it on your person if you are not a first responder.

"The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance located on the handle."

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    "The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance located on the handle."

That's not how the law is interpreted or enforced.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That's not how the law is interpreted or enforced.

So ownership means something other than ownership. It appears you feel that you can own one as long as you don't actually use it unless you use it without having it in your possession. And once you own it, you have to leave it at the store because it can't be in your custody. Or do you feel that possession and custody means something other than possession and custody as well.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    So ownership means something other than ownership. It appears you feel that you can own one as long as you don't actually use it unless you use it without having it in your possession. And once you own it, you have to leave it at the store because it can't be in your custody. Or do you feel that possession and custody means something other than possession and custody as well.

Criminal intent. Im telling you how the law is enforced, you're harping on the semantics. You can try and talk around my point all you want, experience will trump it every time.

Yes, I can legally own and carry one.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Criminal intent. Im telling you how the law is enforced, you're harping on the semantics. You can try and talk around my point all you want, experience will trump it every time.

It's not semantics. It's the law. But you are welcome to share your experience with this law if you'd like.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm good. Going back and forth on a forum is stupid and a waste of time.

Going back and forth, commonly referred to as a discussion, is kinda the point of participating in a forum. In fact, it's more than kinda the point, it's in the definition of forum. "A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." We have different ideas and views on this law. I believe the law declaring the ownership, possession, and custody of an automatic knife to be illegal means owning, possessing, or having custody of an automatic knife is illegal. You feel, based on experience, the law means something else and using the literal definition of the words is harping on the semantics. I'm sure there's a lot of people reading this thread who would like to hear about the experience that alters the definitions of the words in the law.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Ownership is specifically forbidden. How it’s enforced don’t mean a hill of beans. That’s different from cop to cop. Ownership in La, even as part of a collection, is illegal.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Going back and forth, commonly referred to as a discussion, is kinda the point of participating in a forum. In fact, it's more than kinda the point, it's in the definition of forum. "A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." We have different ideas and views on this law. I believe the law declaring the ownership, possession, and custody of an automatic knife to be illegal means owning, possessing, or having custody of an automatic knife is illegal. You feel, based on experience, the law means something else and using the literal definition of the words is harping on the semantics. I'm sure there's a lot of people reading this thread who would like to hear about the experience that alters the definitions of the words in the law.

My POST cert and masters in criminal law may have a little to do with my experience. Like I said before, it's a matter of criminal intent. Louisiana has a very quirky criminal justice system, the way several statutes are written, and the way they are enforced are rarely the same thing, this is a prime example.

Svt said it best, its cop to cop. Good night.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Ownership is specifically forbidden. How it’s enforced don’t mean a hill of beans. That’s different from cop to cop. Ownership in La, even as part of a collection, is illegal.

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom