Aw Crap, I screwed up. Help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was reloading .223 with Alliant AR-15 Comp. Stepped away for a couple of weeks, some powder still in the machine.

Wanted to switch to reloading 9mm today. Looked at the powder left in the powder measure and dumped it out...into a new 1lb bottle of Hogdon Varget. :mad:

Those powders look identical.

I didn't shake up the bottle and noticed my screw up right away. So now I have one pound of Varget with 5 oz. of AR-15 Comp on top of it. I can carefully skim off 5 oz., but I won't get it all.

Do I have to throw the Varget away or will it be safe to shoot?

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    What was your load with the ar 15 comp? Was it comparable to your Varget loads for 223? say around 25 - 25 grains. The reason I ask is that I accidently mixed varget and reloader 15 before in 223, and shot it, with no ill effects at all. Reloader 15 and Varget are so similar, like 4895 and 4064, I dont think it makes a difference.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I would just skim off as much as possible then mix what was left as thoroughly as possible and work up a new load starting at the base.

I AM NOT recommending that you do this, that is just what I would do.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'd throw it all out. There is no way you can be sure it is safe to load. I know how expensive powder is, but that would be the price of an accident. Be smart. Throw it out.

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    What was your load with the ar 15 comp? Was it comparable to your Varget loads for 223? say around 25 - 25 grains. The reason I ask is that I accidently mixed varget and reloader 15 before in 223, and shot it, with no ill effects at all. Reloader 15 and Varget are so similar, like 4895 and 4064, I dont think it makes a difference.

I agree with AKajun, the 2 are very similar, shake it up and shoot it if it makes you feel better reduce your load by 1/4 grain.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    ...or not breaking one of several other rules. 1) Don't leave powder in the measure when you finish a session. 2) Don't leave more than one can of powder on your bench/take more than one can of powder out your storage area at a time.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    ...or not breaking one of several other rules. 1) Don't leave powder in the measure when you finish a session. 2) Don't leave more than one can of powder on your bench/take more than one can of powder out your storage area at a time.

I never heard those rules before.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Never, ever, ever leave powder in the measure in South Louisiana. If you do, throw 10 quick loads and weigh them. You won't do that again.:eek3:

Not only that, the solvents in some powders will attack the plastic of powder measure tubes. All this is common knowledge and is listed in most reloading manuals as well as only having one container of powder on the bench at a time. If these rules had been followed, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom