Axe sharpening

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nwiniewicz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Geismar, LA
    I highly recommend picking up a Lansky puck sharpener and doing it yourself. The puck is inexpensive and puts a pretty decent edge on with a little work. I picked up a vintage Plumb axe recently, and it shipped with a dull edge. Several minutes with the puck, and it's good to go. Bought mine at Academy.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I just took mine to a large hand-held sharpening stone that I use for my machete and larger knives. After about 30 minutes of sitting on my back porch listening to music and enjoying the weather, its razor sharp. If you can sharpen a knife, you can sharpen an Axe.

Though the Lansky puck's, from what I've heard, are amazing. They fit your palm a lot better than a rectangular sharpening stone.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    Thanks guys, i already have the lansky puck, looks like i need to find a good sharp american made file and get to work.

nwiniewicz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Geismar, LA
    Thanks guys, i already have the lansky puck, looks like i need to find a good sharp american made file and get to work.

If the edge is a little nicked up, the file will take care of it. There are some pretty good YouTube videos out there showing how to sharpen. Just search on how to sharpen an axe...

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)

If I remember right, those don't come properly sharpened, although I could be wrong. I'd check before you leave the store.

But this bad boy right here http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-bench-grinder-39797.html and 2 min with a file will make short work of an ax sharpening job, and get the lawn mower blade, and put on a really sweet light show while you do it.

Top Bottom