B.o.b. For truckers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    I am an over the road truck driver and was looking for suggestions on a grab and go bag. I guess my ultimate worst case scenario is an EMP while I am on the road and the need to get home to my family. I purchassed a bike I can carry on my truck for transportation but would figure I would need to survive for upwards of 30 days while traveling back home. I am unable to carry any kind of firearm. This is my list for my B.O.B. so far.

Large military style backpack
    large light weight hammock
    nylon tarp reflective surface on one side
    2 survival blankets
    military modular sleep system
    2 good knives
    fire steel
    lighter
    char cloth
    life straw water filter
    2 stainless water bottles 40 oz
    2 50 ft. hanks 550 cord
    spool of heavy tared trot line style cord
    several large Mylar packs of freeze dried food
    small cooking pot
    maps
    compass

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Toilet paper. Whenever I pack bag for "just in case" situations, the first two items area always a roll of toilet paper and a bag to put it in.

And why are you "unable to carry any kind of firearm"? There is not DOT regulation prohibiting it. I could understand company policy forbidding it, but I won't tell if you don't tell. I also understand that you may be travelling to states that have laws against you carrying, but that's when you need to decide if the load you're delivering is worth more than your right to self defense.

Don't know about you, but for me, in a worse case scenario, I wouldn't worry about something trivial as laws when my survival is on the line.

Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Toilet paper. Whenever I pack bag for "just in case" situations, the first two items area always a roll of toilet paper and a bag to put it in.

And why are you "unable to carry any kind of firearm"? There is not DOT regulation prohibiting it. I could understand company policy forbidding it, but I won't tell if you don't tell. I also understand that you may be travelling to states that have laws against you carrying, but that's when you need to decide if the load you're delivering is worth more than your right to self defense.

Don't know about you, but for me, in a worse case scenario, I wouldn't worry about something trivial as laws when my survival is on the line.

How could I forget toilet paper LOL. As for the gun it is company Policy and maintenance guys have a tendency to be nosy. I know of one driver who was fired when a gun was found in his truck. As for survival, the survival of the here and now is providing for my family and keeping a job. Will have to abide by those rules for now.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    How could I forget toilet paper LOL. As for the gun it is company Policy and maintenance guys have a tendency to be nosy. I know of one driver who was fired when a gun was found in his truck. As for survival, the survival of the here and now is providing for my family and keeping a job. Will have to abide by those rules for now.

That def makes sense. Much more probable that your house note will be due vs an EMP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    MRE's and meds (aspirin, Ibuprofin, prescriptions, etc.) might come in handy. Also, if you are bugging out with kids, puzzles, games and things to keep them occupied so they don't get bored and drive you crazy.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I keep a bag in the trunk of my car that I consider to be my 3 day survival kit if SHTF and I actually have to walk 40 mikes home from my job in another city.
    There are tons of things you can cram into a 3 day assault pack sized bag if you're smart, but in reality it's not a bag you can just pack up and forget about til you need it. I've gotten mine together so I can literally check it once a year and still count on it being ready.
    Water: I have a life straw and a collapsed hydration pack that I could fill in a hurry.
    I do keep a small handgun and ammo in the bag.
    A big kukri style knife made by kershaw that I can deploy drop leg.
    A smaller fixed blade and a mil type belt rolled up.
    My shelter is a nylon 10x10 grometed sheet that is used to close in one side of those fold up canopy things, along with some para cord.
    I keep some decent lightweight rain gear packed up too, the kind that packs into it's own pocket.
    My own version of a first aid kit.
    A plain old bic lighter and a couple other methods of starting a fire.
    Military fuel tabs. A mess kit and pocket stove. Food for 3 days. And not just energy bars. Couple cans of tuna, a dehydrated ready meal instant coffee, small bottle of honey, and other foodstuffs that won't expire quickly. Which brings me to the yearly check. The things that expire should be changed on some sort of a regular basis.
    I prefer the mini mag light with led bulb. I keep 2 in my pack with lithium AA batteries. They'll be ready if I need them, and the batteries don't have a habit of leaking like alkalines.
    Dry socks, towelettes, toilet paper, pocket saw, Mylar blanket, fishing line, hooks and sinkers, and a lot more. My pack weighs 18 lbs. most of the stuff is categorically packed up in heavy ziplocks or small waterproof cases.

there's just a ton of things you can think of on your own if you think with one mindset. What will I need to survive if I have nothing but this bag. In my case, I plan on being in near constant motion. If and when I stop will be for rest or some unforeseen necessity, but I don't plan on setting up camp and lingering. Getting home is the plan. Camping and foraging for food and making a tidy little camping spot is not in that plan.
    As far as my version of SHTF, that could mean any of too many scenarios to count. But I remember all the miles of people stranded on interstate during the Katrina evacuation from NO. I realize there are things that can happen that can cut off travel in a car. I don't ride a 2 wheel vehicle to work so if my car can't travel I'd have to use my feet.
    I didn't really do any research per say, but I know there are all sorts of prepper sights that you could gather info to sift through and decide what works for you.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I keep a bag in the trunk of my car that I consider to be my 3 day survival kit if SHTF and I actually have to walk 40 mikes home from my job in another city.
    There are tons of things you can cram into a 3 day assault pack sized bag if you're smart, but in reality it's not a bag you can just pack up and forget about til you need it. I've gotten mine together so I can literally check it once a year and still count on it being ready.
    Water: I have a life straw and a collapsed hydration pack that I could fill in a hurry.
    I do keep a small handgun and ammo in the bag.
    A big kukri style knife made by kershaw that I can deploy drop leg.
    A smaller fixed blade and a mil type belt rolled up.
    My shelter is a nylon 10x10 grometed sheet that is used to close in one side of those fold up canopy things, along with some para cord.
    I keep some decent lightweight rain gear packed up too, the kind that packs into it's own pocket.
    My own version of a first aid kit.
    A plain old bic lighter and a couple other methods of starting a fire.
    Military fuel tabs. A mess kit and pocket stove. Food for 3 days. And not just energy bars. Couple cans of tuna, a dehydrated ready meal instant coffee, small bottle of honey, and other foodstuffs that won't expire quickly. Which brings me to the yearly check. The things that expire should be changed on some sort of a regular basis.
    I prefer the mini mag light with led bulb. I keep 2 in my pack with lithium AA batteries. They'll be ready if I need them, and the batteries don't have a habit of leaking like alkalines.
    Dry socks, towelettes, toilet paper, pocket saw, Mylar blanket, fishing line, hooks and sinkers, and a lot more. My pack weighs 18 lbs. most of the stuff is categorically packed up in heavy ziplocks or small waterproof cases.

there's just a ton of things you can think of on your own if you think with one mindset. What will I need to survive if I have nothing but this bag. In my case, I plan on being in near constant motion. If and when I stop will be for rest or some unforeseen necessity, but I don't plan on setting up camp and lingering. Getting home is the plan. Camping and foraging for food and making a tidy little camping spot is not in that plan.
    As far as my version of SHTF, that could mean any of too many scenarios to count. But I remember all the miles of people stranded on interstate during the Katrina evacuation from NO. I realize there are things that can happen that can cut off travel in a car. I don't ride a 2 wheel vehicle to work so if my car can't travel I'd have to use my feet.
    I didn't really do any research per say, but I know there are all sorts of prepper sights that you could gather info to sift through and decide what works for you.

No toilet paper? Eww!

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Hard candy, makes for good SHTF trading mat'l. That, and a slingshot.

:cool:

Slingshot yes! They make some very powerful and accurate slingshots these days.

Funny you should say that, I just bought a slingshot. Purchased from Bill Hayes out of Waco,Texas. Payed a pretty penny for it and I know I could buy one for a 1/4 the price at WalMart, but I wanted to support an entrepreneur. I practiced some this weekend and hope I can get as good as him one day.

MyBabyDaddy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    No toilet paper? Eww!

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

He's got toilet paper and towelettes in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom