Baby squirrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jackinpox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Westwego, LA
    While getting stuff picked up for the storm today found this little fella. My son wants to keep it, anyone got any advise on how to take care of squirrels. 225142_4546930868296_1169617158_n.jpg:confused:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    We camped in Desoto State Park recently in N Alabama. They had a squirrel they were rehabbing. He wasn't what you would call overly tame but I did get to pet him (carefully, through the bars, on the top of his nose and head). Very cute.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    My parents found a baby squirrel after gustav and they kept it for a while. It was a pretty cool pet, but when he got older he started getting pretty hyper so they let him go. I didn't see any real harm done to the squirrel as it wasn't kept for years and it just seemed to act like any other squirrel once let go.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    I'd suggest getting him to a qualified rehabilitator ASAP. Google for such folks in your area. If that fails, there's Leslie Lattimore, a licensed wildlife rehabilitator with a huge place in Livingston. Her contact info is:

Wings of Hope Wildlife Sanctuary
    20591 Abe Hoover Road
    Livingston, LA 70754
    225-698-3168 phone
    225-698-6099 fax
    225-954-9883 cell
    leslielatt@wildblue.net

Also see this thread: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?57959

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    we used to have one for a few months, not as a "pet" though. if you think youre going to keep it in a cage and its going to cuddle with you youre wrong. we found her out of its nest so we brought her back and raised her and eventually let her go. we used an eye dropper or a syringe without a needle and used bitches milk. should be able to find it at pet stores until she could eat solid food. started off with shelled pecans and the like and slowly moved up to whole peanuts and acorns (things it would have to work at) we had her in our back patio and she would go out and climb in the trees and then come back to her little box at night and then when she felt the time was right she just left and lived in the trees like normal.

it was very rewarding. even after she left we could practically call her out of the trees and she would climb on you and jump from your shoulder into the trees. even the cats liked her. never tried to attack her or anything. just do your research, be smart about it and dont expect to keep her as a pet. only as much time as needed to make sure she can survive on her own.

here she is before she passed

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/photoatu.jpg/

ps. im pretty sure its technically illegal to keep squirrels. like someone said before i think youre supposed to turn them over to a trained wildlife rehaber. it took 3-4 months i think from when we got her with no fur and eyes still closed until she was on her own. so just ask yourself if you want to take on the responsibility or not.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I'd suggest getting him to a qualified rehabilitator ASAP. Google for such folks in your area. If that fails, there's Leslie Lattimore, a licensed wildlife rehabilitator with a huge place in Livingston. Her contact info is:

Wings of Hope Wildlife Sanctuary
    20591 Abe Hoover Road
    Livingston, LA 70754
    225-698-3168 phone
    225-698-6099 fax
    225-954-9883 cell
    leslielatt@wildblue.net

Also see this thread: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?57959

Leslie is awesome, I sometimes help her with her raptors..

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    We've raised two. The first a male fox squirrel after Gustav, and the second, a female cat squirrel. Fed them on scalded whole milk from a bottle (microwaved until boiling then cooled). They usually do fine. The fox squirrel was calm and gentle like a pet, and would play and cuddle with you. The cat squirrel was completely different and was hyper, and freaky deaky so much so that you really couldn't handle her after a certain point. Here's Lucky (the fox squirrel) and the little cat squirrel the day we got her.

Attachments

• DSC_0690.jpg
      DSC_0690.jpg
      228.2 KB · Views: 108
    • DSC_0395.jpg
      DSC_0395.jpg
      158.4 KB · Views: 106

jackinpox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Westwego, LA
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Just had a freind that works with Audubon in Algiers pick him up. She says they will get him back to health and release him when he is big enough.

Top Bottom