Back surgery (spinal fusion)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cripple

Quad CCW
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2008
    N. of I10
    I had it done, but with rods instead of bone. Great results as far as my spine goes...just didn't fix me completely..:)

BTW what level will it be done at? Mine was C5-6.

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    I am scheduled for one soon, for fusion and a plate w/6 screws. MD says I will be off work for 4-6 months.......waiting as long as I can stand it....

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    My surgery was in 1986 (L4-5). Bone grafts from my hip. I was very fortunate to have a surgeon (Stephen Hochshuler at North Texas Back Institute) who got his patients vertical the next day and walking right away, instead of spending weeks in a body cast. Within 4 or 5 months, I had no restrictions. Now, my back hurts sometimes, but that may just be middle aged stuff. Bottom line, I think that you can have an excellent recovery if you have good care and take the rehab very seriously.

ltranger14

Spooky 8
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Prairieville
    I had it done in Aug of 2010, Dr McCarthy. Had L4 - L5 and S1 with 6 screws and "cement." Recovery was a little slow at first BUT is going GREAT now. ALthough, other than work it did not affect my life TO much. I was only off my feet the first day in the hosp. Started PT the next day in the hosp. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

pullstart

Lastof6
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    Metairie, La
    My brother had C4-5 fused with bone grafts from hip. Broke it in high school playing football and didn't know it until 3 month later during a separate non related Dr. visit. His was performed in 1989. He now suffers from a stiff neck. Use to see a chiropractor on a regular basis to easy his pains. He did not have a choice in the matter, surgery was a must.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I'm treating several right now. Most of the time they are successful and decrease/stop pain. Fusing one level affects spinal movement minimally. More levels = less motion. Strengthening the spine stabilizes the segments and improves outcomes. Spanky, if you have any specific questions please PM me. :)

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Agree 100% with making sure you have a top notch rehab program. I had a shattered L-5,,,now have rods from Pelvis to L4. L5 was removed. When I had mine the Big Charity was open and LSU ran a very good rehab program. Rehab is the key as Eliska pointed out.
    But depending on your problem, you may be able to go this route which I saw on WWL TV the other day. Doesn't work for all types, but if you can go this route this looks much less invasive. http://www.wwltv.com/home/New-surgery-helps-with-chronic-back-pain.html

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Doc told me I needed fusion for a severe rupture of L4L5 disc. For every person I found who had it done with zero complications, I would find one who is practically crippled after it.:confused: I decided not to do it.:(

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Shoot LeVieux a PM the guy is has been a doctor in the area longer than I have been alive. I bet he can point you to the most seasoned surgeon and that is the name of the game who does it the most and the longest with the highest success.

You really don't want to make a decision based on a few data points. LeVieux can tell you more about a man's career whereas a patient can really only tell you about their experience.

Last edited:

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    Doc told me I needed fusion for a severe rupture of L4L5 disc. For every person I found who had it done with zero complications, I would find one who is practically crippled after it.:confused: I decided not to do it.:(

Same here.

Although with periods of time like the last days....

I've had a Herniated Disc (L4-L5) for 18 years. I refused surgery, got over the initial pain with a steroid epidural and then embarked on a rehab program for abdominal muscle strength. After 18 years I get an occasional twinge if I don't do the crunches daily but I live a normal life with no problems. I have the most muscular abdominal fat.

If you're interested I can PM you the Orthopedic Surgeons name & your's can talk to him. Mine thinks that surgery is a last, desperate option, to be avoisded if at all possible.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've had a Herniated Disc (L4-L5) for 18 years. I refused surgery, got over the initial pain with a steroid epidural and then embarked on a rehab program for abdominal muscle strength. After 18 years I get an occasional twinge if I don't do the crunches daily but I live a normal life with no problems. I have the most muscular abdominal fat.

If you're interested I can PM you the Orthopedic Surgeons name & your's can talk to him. Mine thinks that surgery is a last, desperate option, to be avoisded if at all possible.

Always.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    I'm about to see what the doc says about my results... just had the MRI done, have a ruptured disc at L4-L5, with a crap load of pressure on my sciatic nerve. I hope there are other options besides surgery in my case, too.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    How is your mobility after such an operation?
    Did you lose any noticeable flexibility in your spine?
    I fear mine will need it later on down the road...

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Well,,,I sure would not have had my surgery done voluntarily. I had a bad accident where I suffered a shattered vertebrae and spinal cord injury.
    In other words....I had no choice. But, that's why I posted that link for you in my previous post. That surgery does not appear to be very invasive.
    If you can by going that route, I'd say go with it. But, if they plan to put in a lot of hardware like I have in my back, I would be a bit apprehensive if I were you. I would surely get a second opinion first.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

True, a spine surgery gone bad can be a train wreck. However, some situations warrant the surgical risks vs severe pain/poor quality of life/worse complications.

Top Bottom