Background Check Delay

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I had a friend of mine tell me he went to purchase a rifle in town and was told his background check was delayed and he had to wait 1-2 days to pick it up. I haven't had this happen with any of my purchases and was wondering how common it is? Ever happened to anyone else here? (The background check cleared and he went to pick up his rifle today)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    always been delayed for every gun purchase ive ever made, anywhere from 1-12 hours. they almost always tell me "delayed a few days" then call me on the way home to say its all good.

Last edited:

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I was having the same problem for the first couple years I started buying firearms, I applied for the "UPin #" it's the number you use instead of your SS#. I've never been delayed since, but strange thing is, they (the Feds) only asked for the number once or twice. One time a picked up a used Marlin 336 at a pawn shop in Baton Rouge, couldn't for the life of me remember my UPin # at the time, and was only in town for that one day, so I didn't want to give my SS# and get delayed, the lady at the pawn shop made the call without either number and I got the proceed from the Feds...

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    When I first moved to Louisiana there was ne'er–do–well with a similar name living in Mississippi and my check was delayed. Subsequently I've never had a delay but my FFL always tell me they confirm my exact name, SSN, and DL#.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    There is a process to deal with unexplained delays from the gov. Get the folder from a ffl dealer dealing with the Volentary Appeal File or VAF. Fill it out and get necessary info {finger print card} and submit to US Justice Dept. Wait about 6 months and they will tell u what the problem is or they will give u a pin #. Once u get a pin anything in your file prior to date u rec'd your pin is sealed and cant b used against u on a determination.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I get delayed 4 out of 5 purchases. I have heard that if you have a TWIC this can cause a delay. According to my experience with pawn shops and most dealers, if they don't receive an approval, they are supposed to (and most do) give it to you after 3 days. Places like Cabellas and Bass Pro will not comply with this. I understand that the VAF is for appealing a denial, not a delay.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    The VAF is a means by which a citizen can appeal any decision by the people of the background check system. After filing the paper work the government agent involved has to explain in detail, in writing just what the issue is for receiving a delay statis or a denial. If they fail to do this or don't want to they have to issue u a pin # to prevent an issue arising in the future. As long as there is no other issues you get involved in after the date of receiving your pin #.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have heard all sorts of reasons for delays. Common name, name similar or same as someone with a record, previous arrest, military service, twice card, even heard if you have taken the civil service exam it will get you delayed. I fall into more than gal of those and take my delay as it comes. I have never got a UPIN - which is pointless because what is a ssn if it isn't a unique personal identification number, and while the UPIN is being processed, you will be denied and it takes several months.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    There are very many reasons for delays or denials and if u are tired of dealing with it go through the process. They have got to give u a valid reason in writing and correct the issue with a pin if there is no issue

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I still don't understand why you would go for a VAF for a delay. By law, they have to give it to you after three days if it is delayed (not denied). See below:

As of November 30, 1998, you will be required to initiate a NICS check prior to transferring a firearm to anyone who is not a licensee. The following steps must be followed prior to transferring a firearm:
    1. Have the transferee complete and sign ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record.
    2. Verify the identity of the transferee through a Government-issued photo identification (for example, a driver’s license).
    3. Contact NICS. You will get either a *proceed,* *denied* or *delayed* response from the system. If you get a *delayed* response and there is no additional response from the system, you may transfer the firearm after three business days have elapsed. Of course, you must still comply with any waiting period requirements under State law.

https://www.atf.gov/file/84561/download

Beveaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2015
    outside NOLA
    I have never been delayed, but I have a concealed handgun license. My FFL just takes my pre-printed form after I sign it and I have the gun in about 3 minutes.

Top Bottom