Bad idea??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I am all about having the option of a different caliber available. Learned the hard way during Katrina when I could not get my hands on any .45acp. All my handguns were of this caliber. Now I have 9mm and 45acp.

I carry and shoot the 9 b/ it’s cheaper to shoot and per the guys that know; is just as lethal. 45's in safe should I run out of 9 in a SHTF situation. As for the 40, I don't care for a round that many are saying beats your gun to hell. I don't want to keep maintaining it. If I did, I would still be carrying my 1911.

I believe train as you fight and fight with what you brung! Fundamentals are fundamentals. Learn them as best you can from a reputable source and it should not matter the platform.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Prairieville
    This is not accurate. 500 Bayou Bullets @ $33.00 vs 100 Montana Gold"s cheapest @ $14.00. Granted, it won't break the bank, but a Lone Wolf would pay for itself in short order. The prices are at LA Guns and Reloading, BR.
    Unless you're casting your own, the difference in cost between lead and plated is tiny. You would need to shoot a lot of rounds to cover the cost of the other barrel. To me, the possible health concerns aren't worth saving half a penny a round.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    IMHO there no negative to buying a 9mm barrel for you g23.
    A g23 cost around 550 and a Lone wolf barrel 150. So 700 gets you a multi-caliber platform.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am all about having the option of a different caliber available. Learned the hard way during Katrina when I could not get my hands on any .45acp. All my handguns were of this caliber. Now I have 9mm and 45acp.

This is an excellent viewpoint! Sorry I missed it when it was born.

Katrina aftermath is about as close to the apocalypse as we've ever come down here; so far. For all you folks that weren't affected by it, take heed!

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    268   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would buy the 23 and spend the 150 on ammo instead of the conversion barrel. Must be about 500rds, which would be a good introduction to the platform. Figure you need to have 1k rounds anyway.

I feel like you should train with the same caliber as you plan to carry. I see little value in training with 22lr uppers or the like. I know people like to have "range toys" and I am no different but the bulk of my shooting involves the guns I plan to use to protect myself. I do blast off a few revolvers every now and then, just for fun.

A 19 would be a worthwhile investment as well. I would prefer a factory produced gun over a drop in conversion barrel for going from 9mm to 40cal. The breech face is wider on a 40 so it is not "correct" for 9mm. Does this matter? I do not know. But I have found that using tools outside of their designed limits will often produce less than desirable results, YMMV.

After having seen quite a few glocks with 50k plus rounds thru them I am not sure if you would wear the gun out... I do not really consider this an issue as I just do not shoot that much. And if/when you wear the gun out you can always buy another. Amortize the usage over a period of time and figure that it did not cost you that much.

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    Around here, the diff in price of practice ammo is 10c a shot. If you shoot enough to be any good, that adds up fast. No better than anyone performs when being shot at, the diff between 9mm practice and .40 carry wont mean a thing. Most shots completely miss the man at 5 yds, if the defender is actually being shot-at. That's 10x the difference you'll see between practice with 9mm and performance with .40.

Judge Mental

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Prairieville
    Around here, the diff in price of practice ammo is 10c a shot. If you shoot enough to be any good, that adds up fast. No better than anyone performs when being shot at, the diff between 9mm practice and .40 carry wont mean a thing. Most shots completely miss the man at 5 yds, if the defender is actually being shot-at. That's 10x the difference you'll see between practice with 9mm and performance with .40.
    If I understand correctly, you're saying since I'm not going to hit my target anyway, I may as well shoot the more economical round??

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    This is not accurate. 500 Bayou Bullets @ $33.00 vs 100 Montana Gold"s cheapest @ $14.00. Granted, it won't break the bank, but a Lone Wolf would pay for itself in short order. The prices are at LA Guns and Reloading, BR.

You should look at xtreme bullets, they around $35 per 100

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville

dtc40o4pxug5vkipy9g.jpg

jim48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Kenner, La
    I have serval Glocks and the 19 is the one I shoot best. You can not go wrong with the G19. This thread has lot of good advise and information for you to consider.

One school of thought is that their is little difference in terminal performance (stopping power) of current high quality ammunition in 9mm, .40 or .45.

Suggest you look at some of the writing of DocGKR. One good place to start might be http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo

Be sure to have a good idea of what you want, e.g. Plinking, target, home defense, CC, SHTF, EOTWAWKI, some combo.

In any case practice. Shoot a lot of rounds. Have some fun with your son.

gandog56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Mobile, AL.
    My only multi-caliber is a SIG P229 that shoots both .40 Cal S&W and 357 SIG. It takes me all of maybe 60 seconds to swap out the barrel. It uses the same slide, springs, extractor, and magazines, so swapping the barrel; is all that needs to be done. It's kind of neat. Best part is at my usual target distance both rounds have the same point of impact. I don't have to apply any "Kaintucky" windage when I swap calibers.

gandog56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Mobile, AL.
    This is merely my personal take on this. If you shoot a different caliber out of the same gun, I feel that the point of impact will shift enough to negate the supposed cost savings, They should not impact at the same point, which could be very bad in a SHTF situation.. If you been practicing with one ammo , but depending on the stopping power of the real caliber, you could end up missing. Besides, I reload and 9mm is NOT significantly cheaper to reload than .40 cal.

Top Bottom