Bad news from Marksville

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    As tragic as this appears just based on that very, very small amount of the facts; as long as EVERYONE tells the truth about the incident, details, witness accounts; the world can and will survive this.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    So from the looks of it, at least based on that article with very limited info, bad guy decided to run from the police and put his son in danger. HE CHOSE TO RUN FROM THEM. WITH HIS CHILD IN THE CAR. Some will blame the cops. Some will say "why not shoot out the tires". I say the bad guy chose to endanger his son. All he had to do was surrender peacefully and his son would still be alive. PERIOD. Lets all assume this warrant was for something serious enough to justify a pursuit (felony crime of violence). Do we as a society want to send the message to the criminal element that all you need to do is hide behind innocents to evade justice? Think about those repercussions for a second.............. As I previously stated in the recent "felon wants a gun" thread. Decisions have consequences. It is a shame that the father chose his son's safety over his own selfish desire to commit crime and evade inevitable consequence. Its more ashamed the child paid for his father's poor string of decisions with his life. And it is equally as sad the one or more LEOs will have to live with this for the rest of their lives as a result of trying to keep their community safe.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    So from the looks of it, at least based on that article with very limited info, bad guy decided to run from the police and put his son in danger. HE CHOSE TO RUN FROM THEM. WITH HIS CHILD IN THE CAR. Some will blame the cops. Some will say "why not shoot out the tires". I say the bad guy chose to endanger his son. All he had to do was surrender peacefully and his son would still be alive. PERIOD. Lets all assume this warrant was for something serious enough to justify a pursuit (felony crime of violence). Do we as a society want to send the message to the criminal element that all you need to do is hide behind innocents to evade justice? Think about those repercussions for a second.............. As I previously stated in the recent "felon wants a gun" thread. Decisions have consequences. It is a shame that the father chose his son's safety over his own selfish desire to commit crime and evade inevitable consequence. Its more ashamed the child paid for his father's poor string of decisions with his life. And it is equally as sad the one or more LEOs will have to live with this for the rest of their lives as a result of trying to keep their community safe.

That's about the way I see it too.

I guess the only good thing so far is the people that were shot were both white.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

Agreed. If the father survives he should be charged with the murder of his son.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I guess the only good thing so far is the people that were shot were both white.

The fact this is true is positively the saddest thing about this country! They along with their America hating political party almost have completely gotten everything they wanted; More free ****, victimless crimes, condoned and overlooked abhorrent behavior, blameless poverty, non-judged rampant and indiscriminate breeding, accountability-less child rearing, excusable prison terms, lax public education and disciplinary standards, a complicit and corrupt media, and a traditional white American populace that dare not to shine a light on the reality of it all lest they be condemned and shamed.

Thank goodness these two are white, indeed!

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Damn that's a tough thing to read. I can't begin to imagine how scared that poor kid was. Had the POS just obeyed the officer, his son would be alive and he'd probably be out of jail relatively soon. I hope he makes it through long enough to know his actions caused his son's death. He could die after that for all I care.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    So sad, but no one to blame but the father who chose to run.

Prayers for the rest of the family and especially for the officers involved.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    According to the article it sounds like he was boxed on a dead end street and backed into the cruiser. It doesn't sound like Few had a gun.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Here's a couple of semi-unrelated questions to the LEOs onboard, can you open fire on someone being being hostile (ie someone attempting to ram you or your cruiser)? Is a non-LEO allowed?

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    A vehicle is considered a possible deadly weapon.
    Or offensive weapon I'd imagine. I was just wondering how the letter of the law is written is all. For example, if the guy was ramming the cruiser with the cop inside can he open fire? What if he exits the vehicle during the ramming?

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Here's a couple of semi-unrelated questions to the LEOs onboard, can you open fire on someone being being hostile (ie someone attempting to ram you or your cruiser)? Is a non-LEO allowed?

Louisiana law permits employment of lethal force in defense of self or others when faced with immediate serious bodily harm or death, so the easy answer is yes and no, it depends, situation dictates.
    https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/Law.aspx?d=78336

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Louisiana law permits employment of lethal force in defense of self or others when faced with immediate serious bodily harm or death, so the easy answer is yes and no, it depends, situation dictates.
    https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/Law.aspx?d=78336

This. There's a million things that could cause bodily harmor death, cars included. The situation matters more than the object. The only difference between civilians and LEOs is it will likely be a lot more difficult justifying why you were in the situation. LE doesn't have the same options to avoid confrontation that we do.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The morning news stated that the warrant servers were not LEO and did not have police powers.

From what I read they were off duty Marksville Police Officers working extra duty for the Marshal's office. From The Advocate below

The deputy marshals involved in Tuesday night’s shooting were off-duty Marksville police officers who were working extra duty for the Ward 2 Marshal’s Office

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    The story might be evolving...

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/05/louisiana-police-deny-car-reversing-six-year-old-shot

The boy, Jeremy Mardis, died on Tuesday night after police shot into a car driven by his father, Chris Few. On Thursday, Colonel Michael Edmonson, head of the Louisiana state police, denied earlier reports that Few had been reversing his car toward the officers, who then had to defend themselves. *No. I didn’t say that,* he told the Guardian. *That didn’t come from me.*

At a press conference, Edmonson initially described the shooting as *an exchange of gunfire*, but later clarified that only the officers had shot, and that investigators had found no gun in Few’s car. Officials had previously declined to confirm whether officer gunfire was responsible for Mardis’s death.

Orange spray paint marks the orientation of Few’s car and three patrol cars, at the intersection of Taensas Street and Martin Luther King Drive. The particular placement of the cars – and a spray of glass from the passenger’s side of Few’s car – seems to indicate Few was not backing toward the officers. His car was perpendicular to them, and the officers’ shots hit the driver’s side broadside.

Top Bottom