Bad news from my CPA : /

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...Only the past couple years state schools like LSU are seeing budget cuts etc and are forced to increase tuition, but their tuition is still peanuts compared to the private schools... I have no idea where the 30k/year or 40k/year goes at Tulane, Loyola, Xavier, et al. . . except to waste...

As someone else posted, private schools are free to charge whatever they wish. HOWEVER, not all students attending elite ivy league schools are rich kids nor are they necessarily paying anywhere near the published tuition -- and this is where some of that "30k/year or 40k/year" goes.

My younger daughter got her BS at SLU and MS at UAB, paid for thru scholarships (pre-TOPS), part-time jobs, and mom/dad. However, she wanted and in her field needed a PhD. She investigated various programs and schools and ultimately decided that the best program was at Brown University in Providence, RI. BU's published tuition was ~$45K per year for what was expected to be a 4-yr program, and one of the stipulations was that the student was not allowed to work outside of their studies. Fortunately, BU invited my daughter to attend, waived all tuition and fees, and provided her with a stipend of ~$20K/yr. She now works as a research scientist for a major drug company in Seattle. I'm certainly grateful for those folks who did in fact pay full freight for their kids, because I really would have struggled to fund that degree(!)

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    I'll take this one. GET A JOB WHILE IN COLLEGE YOU BUMS! I worked my way through college to have no debt, you can too. Furthermore, the reason tuition keeps increasing is because of all the easy money through financial aid. If students couldn't pay it, schools couldn't charge it. It ECON 101. You can advance your education with or without college. Enjoy being saddled to the government for all your student loans, dependency is in no short supply. The need for college is a liberal lie to keep you dependent and indoctrinate you.

The best thing I ever heard was the suggestion that you should only be given as much $$ as you would make in one year's salary at your current major based on avg current income in the nation for that position. Too many kids go to school and rack up $100,000 in aid only to make $30,000/yr.

I agree with the working part too. I have a student worker now who is working for me, and as reserve LEO and in military.

Last edited:

ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    I never took a loan to go to college. But I worked almost a job almost everyday of my college tour, in the summers I worked 2 jobs. One job was M-F 7-4 and the other job was M-SAT 4:30 - ~1 or 2AM (restaurant with a bar). It sucked, but it gave me enough money to last the year when I only could work one part time job.

Had to do what I had to in order to pay for school. I wasn't so lucky to get scholarships and grants, and my parents didn't have the income to provide at the time, but I graduated college debt free. I keep trying to tell my younger siblings this and they are adamant about spending my parents money and taking loans instead of finding a job. It's going to suck for them when they get out of college and they owe $100k at stupid interest rates and then try and find good paying jobs in this economy.

Top Bottom