Bad timing for reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    I think I picked a wrong time to start reloading. I wanted to start a few months back and put it off until a couple of weeks ago. I got all my equipment now to find small pistol primers...good luck. Everywhere I've checked is out. Some of you have been thru this before with everyone buying everything. Any idea how long this will last? I guess that will depend on how quickly the media stops covering and the laws changing...
    Sherry

Last edited:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Well, I ordered Small Pistol Primers in December. They were back ordered until 1/25. Got an email yesterday saying they were now back ordered until 2/25. So... At least that long, would be my guess.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    Some of you have been thru this before with everyone buying everything. Any idea how long this will last?
    Last time that I saw this happen, primers were one of the last things to become scarce. They were also one of the last things to become abundant. I suspect they'll be more plentiful in 6-8 months. They'll probably lag about 2-3 months behind loaded ammo.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    The 2008 run on supply took more than 10 months to see availability back to normal levels. The prices didn't come down to the pre-2008 election number, but then the price hadn't dramatically increased for years. If you can get in on a group buy, then the shipping and haz-mat costs can be spread out. After the post 2008 election fiasco, I made a concerted effort to purchase 10k every other month. Repeated the same with powder and brass, on a different scale.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Last time that I saw this happen, primers were one of the last things to become scarce. They were also one of the last things to become abundant. I suspect they'll be more plentiful in 6-8 months. They'll probably lag about 2-3 months behind loaded ammo.

I don't remember it getting like this in 08. Yeah primers sure were scarce, but not unobtainable. You can't even get Small Pistol magnum primers right now, something that I don't think ever sold out in 08. Only OEM primers left are LPP and LRP and I am not buying the amount needed to order OEM quantities.

And 10k Primers ever other month? Sitting on 250k primers, I thought I was set.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    I don't remember it getting like this in 08. Yeah primers sure were scarce, but not unobtainable. You can't even get Small Pistol magnum primers right now, something that I don't think ever sold out in 08. Only OEM primers left are LPP and LRP and I am not buying the amount needed to order OEM quantities.

And 10k Primers ever other month? Sitting on 250k primers, I thought I was set.
    True about '08. Things got tight, but not unobtainable. Back in the early 90's there was run on primers when politicians talked about making certain ammo illegal and others highly regulated. This was only talk mind you, but very quickly it was hard to find components. IIRC, this also coincided with shippers having to start handling primers as hazmat items, so a lot of retailers just quit stocking them due to the fees.That's when I decided I'd never be caught without any again. I rarely have all that I want, but I usually have what I need, especially since I've slowed down on my shooting habits,,;).

Top Bottom