Baked Potato Night

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    It's been a while since we had these so this morning I picked out six nice big potatoes for baking this evening. I scrubbed them really good because the way I baked them you can eat the skins. And they are every bit as good as the rest of the potato.

This afternoon I rubbed them down real good with bacon drippings and seasoned them up. They baked at 350 degrees for about 1 and a quarter to an hour and a half.

EkI4st.jpg

Ready for eating!

35gARk.jpg

Here's mine before all the toppings. For toppings we had, chili(for anyone that wanted it), butter, sour cream, bacon, green onion tops from the yard, steamed broccoli, cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese.

rpLUNr.jpg

Annnd.... after the toppings!

JCgEGd.jpg

We really should do these more often. Delicious!!!!!

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What do you season them with? I usually use just kosher salt. I also use olive oil, but bacon drippings sure does sound better! I appreciate that suggestion.

Also, do you poke holes before baking or leave them un-poked? I have always used a fork to poke holes, but yours look un-poked. And your picture of the finished product looks like those insides cooked really well.

IlivnDaBoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    SHREVEPORT
    Here's a hack that I learned from a chef on a cooking game show. Wash your potatoes thoroughly then, wet about 3 paper towels but don't separate them from one another after tearing them off the roll. Wrap the potato in the paper towels and microwave the potato for 7 to 9 minutes. Perfect every time. Just add toppings.

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    Here's a hack that I learned from a chef on a cooking game show. Wash your potatoes thoroughly then, wet about 3 paper towels but don't separate them from one another after tearing them off the roll. Wrap the potato in the paper towels and microwave the potato for 7 to 9 minutes. Perfect every time. Just add toppings.
    I usually microwave for a bit and finish in oven. I dont find the skin is good without baking

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I forgot how good baked potatoes can be ...
    and how simple / easy they are to cook .
    My wife is hung up on cooking them in the Micro-wave oven ...
    it might be fast but they don't taste as good as a good old fashioned oven baking ... at least in my book !

Thanks for the Potato Posting ... Gary

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The microwave is only for when, on a Friday during Lent when I am working from home, I realize at 12:20 that I need something for lunch. Nuke it. Otherwise you are absolutely correct. The oven is always best.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    There is only one thing that I prefer cooking in the Micro-wave ... it's a Micro wave meat loaf recipe that my wife makes in a special ring type microwave dish . The meat loaf comes out ... so moist and even browned around the edges ... I like the texture ... but other than this meat loaf ... I like oven cooking .

If anyone wants the recipe ... I think I can find the book and will be glad to post it ... but you need that special micro-wave ring-pan to cook it and brown it in .
    Gary

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    There is only one thing that I prefer cooking in the Micro-wave ... it's a Micro wave meat loaf recipe that my wife makes in a special ring type microwave dish . The meat loaf comes out ... so moist and even browned around the edges ... I like the texture ... but other than this meat loaf ... I like oven cooking .

If anyone wants the recipe ... I think I can find the book and will be glad to post it ... but you need that special micro-wave ring-pan to cook it and brown it in .
    Gary
    Interesting, i only use the microwave for heating coffee and leftovers. I belive mine is too small for a meatloaf but still im interested in the wifes recipe.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Interesting, i only use the microwave for heating coffee and leftovers. I belive mine is too small for a meatloaf but still im interested in the wifes recipe.
    Okay ... Here it is
    Kenmore Microwave Cooking - Sears - 1981 , page 79
    Favorite Meatloaf
    1- 8oz can (small) Tomato Sauce - divided
    1/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1 teaspoon Yellow Mustard
    2 Eggs - lightly beaten
    1 medium Onion , minced
    1/4 cup Cracker ( or bread ) Crumbs
    2 lbs. Lean Ground Beef
    1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
    1 teaspoon fresh (or granulated) Garlic
    1/4 teaspoon Pepper

In a small bowl combine the tomato sauce , brown sugar and yellow mustard , set aside . In a large mixing bowl combine the ground beef , eggs , onion , cracker crumbs , salt , garlic , pepper and 1/2 of the tomato sauce mixture and mix well . Place the meat mixture in a Glass / Microwave Ring Mould or 2 quart Microproof Round Casserole Dish . Pour remaining tomato sauce over top and spread evenly .

Cook uncovered on Max High 12 to 15 mins.
    Let stand covered 5 to 10 mins. before serving .
    These directions are for are for cooking in a large microwave with a glass turntable ... 1200 watts.
    Check internal temperature ... 165 F is done .

I like the topping and moistness of the finished meatloaf ...
    It really is My Favorite Meatloaf !
    Try It ...
    Gary

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I will try it. Thank you
    Heres mine

1lb ground pork
    1lb ground beef