Balance beam scale

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Louisiana Gun has several packs of check weights for use in determining the accuracy of your scale. Using a know weight lets you know that your scale is functioning as it should and then you can be assured you are throwing the correct amount of powder.

Bryan Guillory
    Louisiana Gun
    127828 Jefferson Hwy.

oneshy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Houma La
    A new nickel weighs 5 grams. Cheapest, quickest way for a quick check.
    77.16 grains.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I wonder if I'm the only one with two scales on his bench. An Omhaus and a Lyman. Plus I have a set of 'scientific' check weights. Designed for chemists, these weights are in grams, not grains.

Actually I have a third scale. An electronic scale of much higher capacity that I use for mixing alloys.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    A new nickel weighs 5 grams. Cheapest, quickest way for a quick check.
    77.16 grains.

That will only get you close. There is no way that a US Treasury nickel is going to be produced to the same accuracy standards as a precision set of check weights. I just set my scale with a set of precision weights and checked a brand new nickel. It was a full 2 grains short of the stated 5 grams (77.16 grains).
    There are no accurate shortcuts here. Precision check weights are the only way to be accurate.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I wonder if I'm the only one with two scales on his bench. An Omhaus and a Lyman. Plus I have a set of 'scientific' check weights. Designed for chemists, these weights are in grams, not grains.

Actually I have a third scale. An electronic scale of much higher capacity that I use for mixing alloys.

Between my loading bench and my casting bench, I have 5 scales. An RCBS 510 beam scale for measuring powder charge weights, an old Ohaus twin beam with a capacity of about 3000 grams for bulk weighing, a small digital postal scale for mixing alloys, an RCBS 1500 digital for weight sorting components, and a spare 500 gr digital scale for a backup.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    If you have access to a laboratory pipette, zero your scale, put 1 ml of distilled water in your powder pan. Weight it. It should be 1 gram, or 15.4 grains. Put another 1 ml in the pan, weight it, should now be 2 grams, or 30.8 grains. Do that up to 5 ml or 77.09 grains. Make an X-Y plot with the scale's measurements on the X-axis the water weight on the Y-axis. Now you have a calibration curve. Enter the X axis with whatever reading your scale is, and read the "true" weight in grains on the Y-axis.

It won't be a perfect calibration curve, but at ambient temperatures and pressures you don't have to worry that water's density varies from 1 gm/ml.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I use an RCBS 10-10 and religiously pull out the check weights every time it gets used for two reasons. One obviously first and foremost is to make sure the scale is working properly. Secondly though it can help provide a second check that the scale is set right. So if the load to be charged is 45.5gr, pull out 45.5gr of weights and calibrate the scale instead of using say a 10gr weight to calibrate then dial up the scale to 45.5. Even if the check weights aren't exact, just get close. So if the charge is 45.1, use 45 to calibrate then just make the tenth adjustment. There's less chance of making mistake that way than when making large adjustments.

I never thought about the redundancy aspect of calibrating a scale that way until a saw a friend of mine on two different occasions misread the hash marks on the scale and undercharge cases by 10 grs! Thank god they weren't 10gr over charges and obviously the true solution to the problem is to engage the brain when adjusting the scale, but if he'd calibrated at or close to the correct charge, he would've caught the scale adjustment mistake before pouring powder.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    One really good check weight is all that is required. Standard check weights are "good enough" for reloading. If the beam can read a 50-100 grain check weight accurately, the lower weights will take care of themselves. If you want to do metrology, weigh each check weight and combination of check weights and plot the check weight vs. the balance reading on a graph and repeat every year. Digitals have the benefit of being easy to read.
    Anything but a certified check weight is only good enough to tell you if you are "in the range," and not how accurate your balance is.
    Some rules:
    Keep the balance in one place and level, such that it can't move easily.
    Keep the beam off the fulcrum unless in use
    Keep the balance covered unless in use
    Keep the balance clean and free of aerosol mists
    Keep the balance at eye level and be sure you can easily see the balance point/line.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom