Ballistically, what depth do you look for with HP?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    i watched a lot of ballistics gel videos. it seems like most people are comfortable with 12 inch penetration from handgun hollow points. when i see the size of some of these bad guys on the tv news, i doubt those 12 or 13 inch test. i started carrying critical duty +p in 9mm. test show 17+ inch penetration from several ballistic gel testers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    That makes no sense what-so-ever. You doubt 12-13" gel tests, but you are going to start carrying ammo because it does better in gel tests???

We need more youtube videos.......lots and lots more youtube videos...

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The new 9mm 147gr. Gold Dot G2 which is the new FBI 9mm round has slightly more penetration than the 124gr and 147gr. HST and Gold Dot which are doing very well on the street.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    It never fails to amaze me that Paul is still incredibly relevant to many of the discussions we have to day.

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    It never fails to amaze me that Paul is still incredibly relevant to many of the discussions we have to day.

I agree, makes perfect sense to me, but I know many that argue their 7 rounds of .45 are way more effective. I currently carry a .40, but thinking of switching to the 9mm because the recoil is less snappy which lets me get back on target quicker.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    Ahhhh the grand ol .45 vs 9mm debate....with .40 cal stuck in the middle watching them argue....

Personally I carry Gold Dot in 9mm as well. Proven round time and time again is good enough for me. Besides shot placement is the key. Get to the range and practice real skills, not just punching paper...

Top Bottom