Ballistol, this stuff is legit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 762NATO

Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Those of you now using Ballistol, how does it compare to CLP, Froglube, WD40, or whatever lubricant you were formerly using?

ramsey6199

Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Just to let you guys know if your in the Crowley area we carry it as well. Technical Services 19055 hwy 13 crowley
    Were an oilfield company but we do carry it, and sell quite a bit of it.

Cplively

Apr 12, 2012
    Gonzales, LA
    I've been using Ballistol now for a couple months and I love the stuff. I got a large non-aerosol bottle from Precision in BR. Once I used it a couple of times on my guns, I get what Hickok was talking about with the analogy of the seasoned iron skillet. It makes cleaning my guns a breeze and puts a non-greasy film on them.

barbarossa

Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    A little trick I learned from a German hunter: If your dog has ticks, spray a little Ballistol on them. Kills them and they fall off.

ramsey6199

Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Seems about a month or so after we started carrying it, people stopped buying it. Main complaint is it's horrible smell. Used remoil for years but this stuff seems to work as well and a little greener too.

GunRelated

Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I picked up a quart of valvoline 20w 50 synthetic racing oil and a quart of valvoline dex merc ATF yesterday. The oil is blue, which I thought was kinda cool, so the mixture ends up being purple. I used a mixture of about 4 parts oil to 1 part ATF and I really liked the results. I have yet to put it through a real test because it started raining on us after putting 30 rounds through my AR, but when I do get time to run at least a few hundred rounds through the AR and the Glock, I'll post some results.

FWIW, I didn't choose the valvoline brand for any reason other than that was what was available, but I think I will be happy with it. Can't beat the price of motor oil and ATF when using it as gun lube. I wish I had tried this sooner, but I am glad that I tried this instead of buying more CLP or some other expensive lube.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I picked up a quart of valvoline 20w 50 synthetic racing oil and a quart of valvoline dex merc ATF yesterday. The oil is blue, which I thought was kinda cool, so the mixture ends up being purple. I used a mixture of about 4 parts oil to 1 part ATF and I really liked the results. I have yet to put it through a real test because it started raining on us after putting 30 rounds through my AR, but when I do get time to run at least a few hundred rounds through the AR and the Glock, I'll post some results.

FWIW, I didn't choose the valvoline brand for any reason other than that was what was available, but I think I will be happy with it. Can't beat the price of motor oil and ATF when using it as gun lube. I wish I had tried this sooner, but I am glad that I tried this instead of buying more CLP or some other expensive lube.

I think you will be well pleased with your new gun lubricant.

GunRelated

Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I think you will be well pleased with your new gun lubricant.

Wish I had listened to y'all "old timers" long ago. The way I see it, in most cases, the older ones have tested and tried and they use what has worked best for them, and they have had much more time to experiment with things such as this than someone of my age.

Last edited:

Cplively

Apr 12, 2012
    Gonzales, LA
    How is it better than using straight mineral oil, it's main ingredient.

Good question. I'm no chemist, but some of the ingredients added favorably manipulate the alkalinity, which if you believe what they're trying to sell you as to it's properties, adds to the corrosion protection. It also contains several alcohols, for which I'm not sure how that effects the viscosity/surface tension.

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I just recently got some Ballistol from Amazon.com and it works great though the price with shipping is rediculous for a 6oz can. Does anyone in Baton Rouge carry it besides Precision? (They're quite a ways from where I'm at)

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I can order it with other orders pretty cheap but I never thought about "Carrying" it. If the current catalog price holds, I can sell it for $8 a can. Probably won't order again for a month though...Might pick up a case just to keep around for folks that need it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I just recently got some Ballistol from Amazon.com and it works great though the price with shipping is rediculous for a 6oz can. Does anyone in Baton Rouge carry it besides Precision? (They're quite a ways from where I'm at)

There is a Gun Oil Poll on another gun forum and Ballistol is in 13th place.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I could not copy and paste. Go to pistol-forum.com and click on autoloaders then go to the second page.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom