Baltimore bridge collapses after ship collision

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Did it hit a pillar or was it so tall it took out the decking and super structure? It's unclear from the dark video. It looks like a really tall ship and a pretty low bridge, but that may just be a skewed view from the vid.

Ok, I read a few more things and it looks like it veered right, out of the channel and away from the only span high enough for it to pass under, and hit the support tower head-on, at 7 knots, leading to the massive structural failure. Probably would have taken out a piece of the bridge, due to the height of the ship, if it wouldn't have hit the tower, but maybe not such massive damage.

Can you imagine if that would have happened at 5pm!?!?!

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    If any of y’all live or work near the Miss river look at the protection around the bridge pillars. Check out how big the concrete pillars are.
    I know pics can be deceiving but there doesn’t appear to be much protection around the Key bridge. If you look at the top left of this pic you can see how the power line tower is better protected compared to the bridge.
    930B9524-AC3F-47DB-9CB8-DE153B8BF1EA.jpeg

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    reminded me of the time the tanker fire on the GNO back in 70's on Easter Sunday.
    that is going to shut down the port there for a while and cargo traffic. maybe nola port can get more traffic
    I remember the Easter Sunday collision (I was a child). The flames warped the bridge. I had nightmares about crossing the bridge only to have it end mid-span.

As to Port of New Orleans getting more traffic, it would likely be minimal. We're not a big containized cargo port. More likely the other East Coast prots will get the bulk (no pun intended) of it, Houston might pick up some overflow, as they have a large container area. New Orleans has debated building a large containerized cargo port near the Gulf for decades - but as usual poiltics has goten in the way.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    If any of y’all live or work near the Miss river look at the protection around the bridge pillars. Check out how big the concrete pillars are.
    I know pics can be deceiving but there doesn’t appear to be much protection around the Key bridge. If you look at the top left of this pic you can see how the power line tower is better protected compared to the bridge.
    View attachment 161064
    The Key bridge was built before the enhanced safety rules, so its collision protection was minimal.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I remember the Easter Sunday collision (I was a child). The flames warped the bridge. I had nightmares about crossing the bridge only to have it end mid-span.

As to Port of New Orleans getting more traffic, it would likely be minimal. We're not a big containized cargo port. More likely the other East Coast prots will get the bulk (no pun intended) of it, Houston might pick up some overflow, as they have a large container area. New Orleans has debated building a large containerized cargo port near the Gulf for decades - but as usual poiltics has goten in the way.
    It's not just politics, it's the residents, and they have their reasons.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I was a First Mate on a couple of small boats, 80ft + 100ft powerboats, and I can tell you that if we were going to hit a bridge and we somehow had no power (even though we had 2 generators and it would have taken me -30sec to get the ship back under full power on the backup ge), the Capts or I would have dropped anchors and if we hit the bridge we'd have done so while dragging anchors and anything else that we could think of to stop us.

The longer this goes, the more it looks like terrorism to me. There is no excuse in the world for that ship to have acted in that manner without someone intentionally doing it. No chance period, they have redundancy in the mechanics to prevent that. No Captain name released, no Harbor Pilot name released, nothing like that...if a Truck driver causes an accident we know their name within the space of hours at most.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I was a First Mate on a couple of small boats, 80ft + 100ft powerboats, and I can tell you that if we were going to hit a bridge and we somehow had no power (even though we had 2 generators and it would have taken me -30sec to get the ship back under full power on the backup ge), the Capts or I would have dropped anchors and if we hit the bridge we'd have done so while dragging anchors and anything else that we could think of to stop us.

The longer this goes, the more it looks like terrorism to me. There is no excuse in the world for that ship to have acted in that manner without someone intentionally doing it. No chance period, they have redundancy in the mechanics to prevent that. No Captain name released, no Harbor Pilot name released, nothing like that...if a Truck driver causes an accident we know their name within the space of hours at most.
    Well heck one can see the explosions going off at key joint pins upon the ships impact just like the world trade center building #4

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    What about the missing minutes in the “black box”? The crucial 2 minutes before impact…. If they had just floated and not dropped anchor, would the ship coast under the bridge? It looks like the last course correction..intentionally or not put the bow on a direct bullseye on the support column. I have a feeling we will never know what caused the multiple times they lost power. The timing makes me wonder too. 1:25am…with a crew working that doesn’t seem to be Americans or at least doesn’t speak English very well. Maybe hard to track down the families. Someone may have climbed to set the charges. I know steel creates heat when bending but this wasn’t titanium being super heated. It looks like other bridges that were intentionally taken down with explosives. But… nothing to see here. Oh look P Diddy done run off….squirrels

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

An Engineer breaks down exactly how a ship of that size Is designed NOT to have a collision with a structure.

What's Going On With Shipping? is a YouTube channel that is covering this story.

Top Bottom