Barnett Quad 400 AVI.......FYI & Thoughts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSU007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    Cabelas has a pre black friday online sale....$279 w/ free shipping!

Comes w/ 3 bolts, quiver and 4x32 scope. Regular price is $399 at Cabelas and everywhere else.

Thoughts for a first purchase crossbow? Looking to shoot hogs and deer.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    Done some on line research. Looked here and there. I had purchased a wicked ridge by ten point, couple weeks ago.

Bought the Barnett for my nephew. Ordered it Thursday morning about 0500, cabelas said they were in stock and available. Haven't got anything saying it's been shipped yet.

LSU007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    I got a confirmation email after purchase and just today a confirmation email of being shipped!!! Super excited to play around with this thing!!! Now I just have to find a place to go shoot it near Slidell, LA!

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    Picked mine up yesterday.

assembly went well, a word to the wise, very little in the way of instruction for a novice xbow owner.

The scope, well don't quite know how to say it in a constructive manner, not the same quality that I got with my Wicked Ridge.

you can shoot it in your back yard if you have a proper target.

LSU007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    Congrats on picking it up!!! I am waiting for the UPS man as we speak...its due today!!!

My yard is only 70' wide....lol. I worry about missing or going through target and breaking something in my neighbors yard...or killing someone!!! Especially while sighting it in...lol Not to mention I have never owned a crossbow nor have I ever shot one!!!

You should have made a "how to" youtube video for assembling it and sent me the link!!!

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    Congrats on picking it up!!! I am waiting for the UPS man as we speak...its due today!!!

My yard is only 70' wide....lol. I worry about missing or going through target and breaking something in my neighbors yard...or killing someone!!! Especially while sighting it in...lol Not to mention I have never owned a crossbow nor have I ever shot one!!!

You should have made a "how to" youtube video for assembling it and sent me the link!!!

Well, I think you are justified in your caution.

I'd start at about 15' from the target. Make sure you are on at that range then back off to 10 yards, then work on out to 20 yards.

Do you have an archery target that is crossbow rated?

When I test shot my Wicked Ridge at Cabelas, it penetrated their target wall all the way to the fletching on the bolt. The guy shooting a compound bow a few minutes later was getting about 6-7" of penetration. That's at 12 yards.

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish

They have one on you tube already. I'll get the link---
    Ok I just found out I don't know how to link to a you tube video--- do a google search for assembling Barnett quad 400 avi. It's like an 8 minute video, posted by Drakes Archery.

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    Crossbow target?

One thing about all this stuff I'm suppose to know I had the advantage of a knowledgeable sales tech at cabelas.

He got the target I needed, like $49. Then a decocking bolt. Rail oil. String wax.

One thing I didn't know is the only way to uncock a crossbow is to shoot it. While target shooting that's no problem, but what about hunting, I make many many many hunts not firing a shot.

I got some pots on the fire right now I'll get you some links in aaa minute.

LSU007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    Yes! At like 730pm...went together easily. I watched the tutorial you recommended. Still have not shot it yet. Waiting on the rope cocker to come in...it was shipped seperate. That thing is a beast to pull by hand!!! lol I also need to buy a target to shoot at it!!! Oh yeah...I have newborn twin boys that are almost 4mths old and eat up most of my free time....a trip to walmart is usually my free time these days!!! LoL

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    I know about cocking by hand!
    Done it once, no laughing matter, took three tries. I'm no Charles Atlas, but I work a physical job, so I was real suprised that I couldn't just snatch it back. First try I didn't have my boot into the stirrup very well so I got it about half way back and had to abort. Second try I thought the string was going to cut my fingers off , so i aborted again. Third time I got set with a pair of heavy gloves. Pulled it back and I was real suprised how far back I has to pull it. It finally clicked, set a bolt in it and discharged it into the target at about 10' range. Shot way right and high, but I hit the target, and wasn't fixing to try and cock it again by hand. My cocking rope is coming in a seperate shipment also.

Twins--- may The Lord Bless You!!! Never had twins but I had 3, each 18 months apart.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Crossbow target?

One thing about all this stuff I'm suppose to know I had the advantage of a knowledgeable sales tech at cabelas.

He got the target I needed, like $49. Then a decocking bolt. Rail oil. String wax.

One thing I didn't know is the only way to uncock a crossbow is to shoot it. While target shooting that's no problem, but what about hunting, I make many many many hunts not firing a shot.

I got some pots on the fire right now I'll get you some links in aaa minute.

Most these days have a way to uncock with the rope cocker. I don't know about the quad 400 but it sure would surprise me it can't be uncocked. It may be simpler than you think. With my excalibur it's as easy as install the rope cocker and pull up wih one hand and reach down with the other and pull he trigger. Put other hand on rope cocker and lower it. Might want to try that.

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    I can understand letting it down with the cocking rope. But, how do you get around the anti-dry firing device, like what I have on my Wicked Ridge? It has to have a bolt in it to fire.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I can understand letting it down with the cocking rope. But, how do you get around the anti-dry firing device, like what I have on my Wicked Ridge? It has to have a bolt in it to fire.

Just googled it and it looks like for the quad 400 you can only decock if you have the cranking device installed. If you don't have that best thing to do is designate one bolt and always carry it in quiver. Before descending stand to ground shoot that bolt straight down into the ground.

LSU007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    Just googled it and it looks like for the quad 400 you can only decock if you have the cranking device installed. If you don't have that best thing to do is designate one bolt and always carry it in quiver. Before descending stand to ground shoot that bolt straight down into the ground.

Thats a pain in the A$$. I bought a rope cocker for $25 and now I see the cranking device for $80...wondering if I shouldnt have just bought the crank instead!?!?

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    Well one way to look at it is, the rope cocker is a very simple device that can be carried in your pocket, or draped over your neck. It adds no weight to the xbow, and if the length of the rope is trimmed right, it will be quicker and easier to cock the bow.

As for decocking, I still believe a decocking arrow is the way to go. I read somewhere that a decocking arrow can be made by removing the field point and putting a washer between the field point and the insert. Sounds to me like a good way to ruin an arrow.

My Wicked Ridge is equipped with an Accu52, kind of like a built in recoil rope. No crank. It is real quick to cock, and the handles self retract back into the housing and are held in place by magnets.

LSU007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    ok fellas....finally got to shoot my Quad AVI....and all I can say is BAD A$$!!! Of course, this is my first crossbow and even never owned a compound, but I love this thing! I don't have a big yard but was able to shoot across my backyard on an angle about 30 yards....and it was so much fun, I'm hooked and I havent even taken it into the woods yet....lol (30 yards is quite a distance to shoot, you don't really realize it until you step it out and are staring at that little target through the "free" 4x32 scope...lol

LSU007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    oh yeah....and I think I like the cocking rope better than I would the cranking device! The rope is managable and I think the crank would take waaaay too long and be more of a pain to crank and uncrank! My 2 cents! And I just shot it a few more times just now (at night)! I love that my neighbors have no idea!!! HAHA!

Top Bottom