Barney's Police Supply is closing??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Kenner PD was at our range earlier this week and advised us that Barney's in Harahan had closed, and the Lafayette store would be closing soon too. We get supplies from the Harahan Store on occasion, and this was news to us. I called the number, and a recording stated "leave your message at the tone". Anyone have further info?

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Kenner PD was at our range earlier this week and advised us that Barney's in Harahan had closed, and the Lafayette store would be closing soon too. We get supplies from the Harahan Store on occasion, and this was news to us. I called the number, and a recording stated "leave your message at the tone". Anyone have further info?
    I had heard the store in Elmwood was closing so I drove by there on Sunday, sure enough, everything was gone. Nothing on the walls, no clothes racks, nothing. An empty shell was all that was left.

Which shooting range are you with?

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I was just there a couple weeks ago. Nothing about the place looked like they were going out of business.
    They are gone, gone, gone... I bought my first silencer from AAC and had it sent to them in Lafayette, back around 2004-time frame. They were one of the few places back then that knew how to handle all of the paperwork. Those were interesting times. I continued to visit the store in Metairie from time to time, bought a few Glocks and holsters from them. Nice folks. Maybe they'll open in a better place.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I had heard the store in Elmwood was closing so I drove by there on Sunday, sure enough, everything was gone. Nothing on the walls, no clothes racks, nothing. An empty shell was all that was left.

Which shooting range are you with?
    St. James S.O. range on Hwy 3127 in Vacherie.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I remember a year or two ago, Art Belsom had F&B Police Supplies on Clearview Pkwy. George Prechter was there before he worked with Al Tinney at Parish Arms in Chalmette. They moved several times, and Barney's which is probably the "B" in F&B opened on I-10 Ser Rd (or thereabouts) close to the J.P./ N.O. line. I guess that's all ancient history now that they are closing.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    They are gone, gone, gone... I bought my first silencer from AAC and had it sent to them in Lafayette, back around 2004-time frame. They were one of the few places back then that knew how to handle all of the paperwork. Those were interesting times. I continued to visit the store in Metairie from time to time, bought a few Glocks and holsters from them. Nice folks. Maybe they'll open in a better place.
    That is crazy man. The store was stocked with all kinds of gear and they had plenty of guns to choose from. Nothing about the place looked like they were closing. I went there the day the GNO bridge shut down because of the shooting. Diverted to the huey p and decided to stop in.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I remember a year or two ago, Art Belsom had F&B Police Supplies on Clearview Pkwy. George Prechter was there before he worked with Al Tinney at Parish Arms in Chalmette. They moved several times, and Barney's which is probably the "B" in F&B opened on I-10 Ser Rd (or thereabouts) close to the J.P./ N.O. line. I guess that's all ancient history now that they are closing.
    Not to divert the thread, but I bought an SP1 from Al Tinney/Parish Arms back in the 70's. He was always welcoming to everyone.

Louisianametairie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2024
    Metairie
    They closed the one here in Metairie a few years ago.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    One is over here by the Masion, Reckon I need to swing by and post-haste.
    When I called the Lafayette store (right off of 49), they said they are liquidating the business and there on a day by day basis. She couldn't say how long before they close for good, but she estimated end of the month at the latest.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    There is very little markup on guns (street prices). Especially in a competitive environment. The internet has seen to that. Which means that the money has to be made on accessories and ammunition, but that too has been taken by the internet. These giant warehouses do such volume that they don't need high margins. I'm not saying guns are going anywhere, but the smaller independent gun stores are in for some rough times. Regarding Barney's, most agencies now buy direct or themselves use the internet distributors. Not really targeting the civilian market and the police market not being enough to support a business is not a recipe for success.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    The above is totally accurate. Thats why you will see the price of transfers go up.

Some FFL's I deal with refuse to do business with some of the big dealers (like Bud's) and refuse all transfers from them because they sell guns on the internet under cost of what they get from distributors.

We can be as mad as we want as customers, but when all the smaller local stores close down, you wont be able to rub your dirty fingers all over the new model Glocks, only go to the big local stores who charge 20% more for the items. So be careful what you ask for.

Top Bottom