Barrel leading--help me out

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I am wondering about barrel leading. How much leading can a revolver barrel get without affecting it's ability to fire, not accuracy, but it's ability to shoot in a self defense situation.

I always wonder about that. I remember eons ago I musta shot several thousand rounds thru my .22 rifle and never cleaned it and it always shot and was always accurate.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Your cylinder will lead up not allowing the rounds to seat long before your barrel will show any ill effects.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Are you shooting super hot loads, or bullets cast from peanut butter-like lead?

My dad ran around 150K rounds through his S&W 19, and his only experiences with leading were when it was extremely hot outside. These were all low velocity wadcutters, if that makes any difference :D

I know you're not putting THAT many rounds through that .454 :rofl::rofl:!!!!

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    It isn't recommended to use a brush in the barrel of a 22 RF. Run a wet patch of Hoppes #9 or if using nothing but copper a copper solvent and let it sit. Follow with patches.
    When I shot wadcutters, with good cast bullets, I would shoot a cylinder of copper jacketed at the end of a session.
    The answer really relies on the quality of cast/lead you are using. As mentioned, if you have heavy wheel weight stuff, you will get leading faster than you can reload. The type of lube is important also.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    As the others have said it all depends on the bullet & the load.

This works great as a lead remover. You cut a patch size piece and run it through your bore.
    Mid-south is a good place to do business with as far as reloading goes if the locals are out.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0001231001

I think Pro Shot makes a similar product. Flitz on a patch also works.

Art

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Leading in a revolver is a pain in the butt. However most leading in revolvers is actually tin deposits caused by gas cutting of the bullet by the powder and are accumulated in or on the face of the forcing cone. This can build up enough where the cylinder will not turn anymore. Leading causes are too hard an alloy which does not let the bullet base obiturate properly, or improperly sized bullets which are too small for the throat of the revolver in question.

True leading which goes the length of the barrel, but mostly to the end, is caused by improper lube. However it is easy to remove, and can usually be done with solvent and a bronze brush. However focing cone leading usually requires a stainless steel brush and a Lewis lead remover. Also you can try firing a few hacketed bullets out of the gun as the last rounds fired which will usually remove most of the buildup.

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    +1 i shoot revolver in matches every weekend, the cylinder is also always my concern, as i have to load several times during a stage. The barrel gets a good cleaning about ev ery 500 rounds. That is using a bullet i cast and thompson bullet lube. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom