Basic Introduction to F-Class/600 yard Shooting Clinic November 7, 2010

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    hahah nice.

I was just curious, as people always talk about using it to hit the broad side of a barn - 3 parishes/counties over ;) and seeing this 300yd hog hunting videos on youtube, etc. I think my Mosin would need a -lot- of work before I expected to hit a target at 300yds let alone 600yds.

I have seen them used in vintage bolt action matches @ 200 yards.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    I'm gonna try and spectate. I am a member of the Pascagoula DCM in Moss Point Mississippi and they have a 600yd and 1000yd range I have shot on yet. Should be able to get some valuable.

GB300wm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Brusly, La.
    Today was great guys. Many thanks to you all for affording me such a great time (Ritten, Chaser, Lanny, Rob and the rest). I met a great group of guys and that's what you see at a shooting range. I can't wait for the wind reading class now. I learned so much today and it really opened my eyes. Guys, this is real shooting, real conditions. I'm hoping to compete now when I finish my rifle sometimes in Jan,Feb time frame. I'll have plenty of work with it, but because of today, I'm really looking forward to it. I had a great time.:):)

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Today at Palo Alto was great. Thanks to everyone that made it possible. Without people like you willing to spend your time, the future would be bleak. It seems you may have hooked a few people to start shooting your matches.
    Shooting at 600 yards is one thing, reading the wind and shooting accurately at 600 yards is a tremendous challenge. I hope to do it again soon. Thanks again to everyone involved.

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    Thanks gentlemen for the long range shooting experience. It is truly remarkable to hit a target at 600 yards and it gives me a new felt confidence with my rifle. Many thanks to Rick and Lanny for putting on the class and those who came out to help us. It was also great to meet everyone who attended. I may have to try this again.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    It was great to put faces with so many names. Thanks Rick for putting this together, thanks to everyone who came out and a BIG thanks to Lanny for lending his time and experience. The man won the F-class match the day before and then gave up a large part of his Sunday to come help put us on the path to do the same. I hope to see some of y'all back on the line in the future!

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I would like to come to another. I didn't drop my name in the hat this time, because there were a lot of first timers headed out.

If you do another and have room for repeaters, I'd love to come back out.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Hey Curtis! Sounds like y'all had a great time. You were shootin' .223 today???

I was shooting my still-fairly-new Remington 700P in .308. Worked up a 175 gr. load and got a chance to put it to the test. Confirmed a 200 yd. zero Friday and, with Barney88pdc's ballistic calculator-keen fu, worked up a starting come-up of 58 clicks for 600 that was within a few clicks of perfect. Even dropped one shot into the X ring between chasing wind changes. Only had a chance to put 13 rounds downrange (two to confirm zero at 200 yd.) but it was a great way to get your feet wet for this type of competition. Really enjoyed myself.

Dealing with nearly constantly changing wind conditions today at 600 yards was an interesting challenge that I'm looking forward to gaining more experience with. Yup, those clever people set the hook and will no doubt reel in a few more competitors for their monthly 600 yd. matches. :D

Last edited:

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Guys, thanks for coming out. I think I speak for everyone when I say I think we probably had as much fun putting this on as y'all had shooting. I'm glad I got to meet all of you and look forward to putting another together soon.
    As most of you have noted shooting 600 yards is a challenge, but a fun challenge. Ted and I had a great time helping out in the pits.
    See some of you on the 21st.
    To those guys who came out to watch but didn't get to shoot a special thank you for coming out.
    And thanks Lanny and Rob for giving up your time to help us.
    Rick

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I was shooting my still-fairly-new Remington 700P in .308. Worked up a 175 gr. load and got a chance to put it to the test. Confirmed a 200 yd. zero Friday and, with Barney88pdc's ballistic calculator-keen fu, worked up a starting come-up of 58 clicks for 600 that was within a few clicks of perfect. Even dropped one shot into the X ring between chasing wind changes. Only had a chance to put 13 rounds downrange (two to confirm zero at 200 yd.) but it was a great way to get your feet wet for this type of competition. Really enjoyed myself.

Dealing with nearly constantly changing wind conditions today at 600 yards was an interesting challenge that I'm looking forward to gaining more experience with. Yup, those clever people set the hook and will no doubt reel in a few more competitors for their monthly 600 yd. matches. :D

I was hooked the first time i went. I can't wait for the wind reading class at the end of the month. Get to learn from some of the best!!!! I'll be giving Mr. Lanny my check for membership to the club then too. :D

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Many thanks to Lanny, Rick, Rob, and Ted (Ritten). The new custom Savage performed better than I expected, landed 4 in X, 9 -10's, When the wind was really hitting, put several in the 9 and a couple in 8 ring, amazing what wind does down a 600 yd alley. Wind is a adversary that we will have to learn. The range was beautiful and in perfect condition, the new pits are awesome, great weather and great friends

Top Bottom