BATF has ruled .223, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC cartridges are now pistol cartridges?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    And so it begins..

http://www.saysuncle.com/2011/07/11...-6-8spc-cartridges-are-now-pistol-cartridges/

So reports the proprietor of Elite Tactical Ammunition. I searched for a ruling on this and cannot find one. However, the president of the company states that the ATF SWAT Team showed up with a search warrant and told him that.

Oh and mulit-rifle reporting, in four states (for now):

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/170823-doj-gives-new-tools-to-atf-to-fight-guns

Violation of GCA?

Psychic Bacon

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 17, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    It only applies to EA's Trident projectile as I understood. It is a prefragmented all-copper projectile. There are a couple of the big name ammo manufacturers that have similar rounds, but they are not being pursued by the ATF.

Jay and Lisa of EA are in communication with the ATF to try to figure out where the ruling came from.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Those who have T6 ammunition and PFP bullets will be contacted by the BATF to recover any bullets or ammunition that have not been FIRED yet.

Nice to know what our tax dollars are going towards. :rolleyes:

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Basically, the rules have said for a long time you can't have solid 100% brass projectiles in calibers that handguns are made in. Brass is an alloy of copper and tin. Elite thought they'd play cute with the feds and call their bullets "copper alloy" (copper and tin).

Oh, and the reason ammo like Magtech's all copper stuff has so far been legal, is that it's pure, soft copper; not brass.

Last edited:

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    With the federal law you can still own, buy & sell pistol AP ammo so stock up now :D
    The state laws suck in some places
    map2.jpg

in Louisiana we need a permit from the police? WTF Anyone have a link to that fact, I'm starting to miss nolacop :mamoru:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    So I'm confused how does it effect me if it is considered pistol ammo? I have to show my I.D. to purchase it, big deal atf needs to stop wasting our tax dollars making stupid rulings, they already have the gun laws so screwed they dont even know what they are try calling 4 different branches of atf asking the same question and see if more than two give the same answer hell talk to more than one person at a single branch, they should teach their agents the current law before making up new ones.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    This reminds me of what happened to all the cheap Norinco ammunition in the 90s. Once a pistol is built that can shoot the projectiles deemed armor piercing, the ATF steps in shortly after and tries to ban it.

Here is the funny thing. I've shot bullet resistant material with the steel core stuff and the steel jacketed lead stuff. Want to guess which one went through easier? Here's a hint, it's not the stuff that was banned as armor piercing!

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    If I recall right, these calibres are already deemed pistol calibres (because they can be used in a pistol). This is so they (ATF) can regulate AP ammo as they have no say over AP in a calibre that is chambered only in rifles (there's more to that, otherwise all ammo could be considered pistol on those grounds). The current rise is over the company EA being raided over their bullets (in certain calibres). If I'm remembering right also (speculation), they also had a thing up on their site boasting about the armor penetration of some of their types of bullets (maybe there's a link between the two). One of the owners of EA sent out a thread on several forums and now we're at this stage of everyone asking questions.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    Not Nolacopusmc but here is Louisiana state law

RS40:1810

PART IV. ARMOR-PIERCING BULLETS

§1810. Definitions

As used in this Part, "armor-piercing bullet" shall mean any bullet, except a shotgun shell or ammunition primarily designed for use in rifles, that:

(1) Has a steel inner core or core of equivalent density and hardness, truncated cone, and is designed for use in a pistol or revolver as a body armor or metal piercing bullet; or

(2) Has been primarily manufactured or designed, by virtue of its shape, cross-sectional density, or any coating applied thereto, to breach or penetrate body armor when fired from a handgun.

Added by Acts 1983, No. 284, §1.

AND

RS40:1811

§1811. Prohibitions

A. No person shall import, manufacture, sell, purchase, possess, or transfer armor-piercing bullets.

B. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than one year, or both.

Added by Acts 1983, No.284, §1.

However

RS40:1812

§1812. Exemptions

The provisions of this Part shall not apply to:

(1) Law enforcement officers and employees acting in the lawful performance of their duties.

(2) Law enforcement or other authorized agencies conducting a firearms training course, operating a forensic ballistics laboratory, or specializing in the development of ammunition or explosive ordinance.

(3) Department of Corrections officials and employees authorized to carry firearms while engaged in the performance of their official duties.

(4) Members of the armed services or reserve forces of the United States or Louisiana National Guard while engaged in the performance of their official duties.

(5) Federal officials authorized to carry firearms while engaged in the performance of their official duties.

(6) The lawful manufacture, importation, sale, purchase, possession, or transfer of armor-piercing bullets exclusively to or for persons authorized by law to possess such bullets.

(7) A bonafide collector licensed by the Department of Public Safety.

Added by Acts 1983, No. 284, §1.

Last edited:

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Back to the subject of the ATF rather than the state laws: How in the hell did a law enforcement agency get the power to make laws without going through the legislative process? Elect me president and Randy Weaver will be Director of the ATF.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Back to the subject of the ATF rather than the state laws: How in the hell did a law enforcement agency get the power to make laws without going through the legislative process? Elect me president and Randy Weaver will be Director of the ATF.

Congress gave them the authority in 1986 in the same act that closed the machinegun registry. The vote was taken by a "voice vote" so we wouldn't have a record of who to hold accountable.

Top Bottom